Sign in to follow this  
Flutie22

Deanna Durbin film day Tribute, dont miss it

30 posts in this topic

Excellent!!! Excellent ! Very accurate and very well said...Thank You so much for saying what I wanted to say :)

Just wanted to add one more thing...Her films have been shown...PBS showed quite a few of her very best as well as TV Ontario .

PBS Showed them in very successful membership drives

Between PBS and TV Ontario, I watched and taped Three Smart Girls, Three Smart Girls Grow Up, First Love, 100 man and a girl, Mad about Music , His Butlers Sister and It Started with Eve/ Also Christmas Holiday and Lady On a train

The wonderful man on TVO that hosted Saturday Night at The Movies ..TV Ontario was Elwy Yost, he is no longer with us

He was a huge fan of Deanna Durbin, and showed all films above

Also That Certain Age was on CKVR Barrie Ontario late night

Thats really some of her best films, so PBS and TV Ontario managed to get rights to them, yes probably 20 years ago now, but still

As I said the rest of them I purchased on a mixture of used VHS and New DVD

I watched His Butlers Sister last night with Pat Obrien, Franchot Tone and a wonderful bunch of great butlers

Tonight we watched Nice Girl, Franchot Tone again, Robert Benchley,Walter Brennan and Robert Stack just to name a few

Edited by: Flutie22 on May 18, 2013 11:45 PM

Interesting that you are apparently a Canadian and have a user name honoring Doug Flutie, one of the biggest American stars in the CFL.

Hi Flutie 22:

I know Deanna's films have been shown occasionally on TV through the years. In fact, I first saw several of them when PBS broadcast them as part of one of its' fundraising drives in the 1980s.

This was why I said they hadn't been available for "regular broadcast" over the past 50 years, e.g., not like the regular, frequent screenings of films from Warner Bros., MGM and other studios that were standard TV fare for decades.

I should have been clearer about that. My apologies for the confusion.

I do recall during that during the fundraising breaks on the PBS station that was showing Deanna's films, the station manager said several times that the fact that they were showing "Deanna Durbin movies" was proof that the station listened to viewer requests. He said they'd been receiving many requests to show them for years, but that they weren't available for public broadcast. They finally became available, however briefly, and the station managed to get the rights to broadcast them for a while.

Rats! As a big Deanna Durbin fan, I was very excited when I saw the title of this thread and thought TCM had acquired the rights to her movies and had scheduled a memorial tribute to her.

While I approve of encouraging TCM to do a multi-film tribute to Deanna, and believe she deserves one, it was disappointing, to say the least, to learn that this thread was only to urge TCM to get the rights to her films and schedule a tribute.

I realize you mean well, but the title of this thread IS misleading.