JohnDoe2

Obscure Pre Code movies

11 posts in this topic

Some time ago I stumbled across a Pre Code movie about a sophisticated con woman. It's a really obscure title (or at least I think) and apparently it was made a trilogy around the character. Yeah, it's a trilogy of movies with the same con woman as a protagonist. The title of one of the movies , I guess it's the first one, is something on the lines of "The magnificent/ fabulous/ extraordinaire (some synonym) *insert name*". I know this is very little information but I searched and couldn't find so I thought here would be the best place to ask that. I'm sorry if I'm wasting your time but I had to ask because maybe someone knows.

Anyway anyone knows a expansive list of pre code titles?

Could they be:

THE NOTORIOUS SOPHIE LANG (1934)

THE RETURN OF SOPHIE LANG (1936)

SOPHIE LANG GOES WEST (1937)

All Paramount Pictures starring Gertrude Michael as Sophie Lang.

(It sure would be great to see these on TCM some day!)

Exactly, "notorious" is the adjective, I would never remember! Apparently the movie is not that obscure. Anyway, thank you very much!

I think that Murder at the Vanities needs to be better known. That film is a perfect example of a pre-Code-post-Prohibition movie.

There are a good number of them. Precodes I've seen are Barbara Stanwyk in Baby face, and Night nurse, Jean Harlow's Red dust, Hells angels, and Platinum Blonde, Joan Crawford's Rain and Dancing lady, Busby Berkeley's 42nd street, Dames, Footlight parade, and Gold diggers 33, some of the dancing scenes in Hollywood party, the shower number and a couple of lines from Zasu Pitts in Meet the baron, Claudette Colbert in The sign of the cross and Three cornered moon, Joan Blondell in Night nurse, The reckless hour, and Blonde crazy, James Cagney in Public enemy and Blonde crazy, George Raft in On the town and Scarface, Mae West in On the town and I'm no angel. There's more, but these are the ones that I've seen.

On Saturday, February 10, 2018 at 12:47 AM, kjrwe said:

I think that Murder at the Vanities needs to be better known. That film is a perfect example of a pre-Code-post-Prohibition movie.

I've not seen Murder at the vanities yet, but I've seen a good number of pre code films. I loved Barbara Stanwyk's Baby face and Night nurse, Jean Harlow's Red dust, Platinum Blonde, and Hells angels, and James Cagney's Public enemy and Blonde crazy. Two other precodes I loved were Hollywood party, some of the dance scenes (Hollywood party song and Feelin high) and the girls' dancing and their outfits were definitely pre code. Meet the baron also was definitely pre code with the girls' shower song Clean as a whistle, and Zasu Pitts asking Jack Pearl "would you like something to play with?" and her touching her breast.

I watched a really good one a few nights ago on YouTube. It's called I TAKE THIS WOMAN, from 1931. Gary Cooper and Carole Lombard (in one of her first starring roles) play a mismatched couple who defy the odds. A really wonderful story, both stars so young and in their prime. I'd never heard of it before. Highly recommended.

• Thanks 1

On Friday, April 13, 2018 at 4:01 PM, TopBilled said:

I watched a really good one a few nights ago on YouTube. It's called I TAKE THIS WOMAN, from 1931. Gary Cooper and Carole Lombard (in one of her first starring roles) play a mismatched couple who defy the odds. A really wonderful story, both stars so young and in their prime. I'd never heard of it before. Highly recommended.

It's funny about how back in the 1930s, suggestive sexual content had to be covered up when the Hays code went into effect but not violence. So many shoot em up films continued after the Code such as numerous Cagney films such as "Angels with dirty faces" and "Roaring twenties", and Bogart and Lorre films such as "Cassablanca" and "Beat the devil" (and Bogart was also in both above mentioned Cagney films). And a lot of the film noir films. 

• Like 1

On Friday, April 13, 2018 at 4:01 PM, TopBilled said:

Just curious Topbilled, who is that a picture of on your post photo? I've recognized most of the celebrities that most of the members of this site have used for their post photo, but not yours. He looks like someone from a more modern film but don't recognize him.

56 minutes ago, Allenex said:

Just curious Topbilled, who is that a picture of on your post photo? I've recognized most of the celebrities that most of the members of this site have used for their post photo, but not yours. He looks like someone from a more modern film but don't recognize him.

Do you mean the photo I'm using for my avatar? It's me, actually. LOL

Sometimes when there is a big death in Hollywood, I change it for a few days to honor the person. Like when Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds both passed away, for about a week I used a photo of them as a tribute. But then I started using my own photo again.

6 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Do you mean the photo I'm using for my avatar? It's me, actually. LOL

Sometimes when there is a big death in Hollywood, I change it for a few days to honor the person. Like when Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds both passed away, for about a week I used a photo of them as a tribute. But then I started using my own photo again.

Oh, I thought that was a celebrity I just didn't recognize. It does look like a selfy now that you mention it, but there are close up photos of celebrities too.