Sign in to follow this  
crazyblonde7

Your three favorite male actors of all time

64 posts in this topic

Mine are James Cagney, Steve Mcqueen and Bing Crosby. Three Great actors with alot of talent! And they were very handsome! If you never saw Cagney and Crosby as young men, you don't know what you are missing. They were HOT!!!

John Wayne, James Cagney and tied for third place is Humphrey Bogart and Cary Grant...

1. Robert Ryan

2. James Stewart

3. Cary Grant

4. Robert Mitchum

5. Humphrey Bogart

6. William Powell

7. John Wayne

8. Glenn Ford

9. Henry Fonda

10. Boris Karloff

1. Leslie Howard

2. Humphrey Bogart

3. Cary Grant

4. Robert Mitchum

5. William Powell

6. James Cagney

7. Gary Cooper

8. Errol Flynn

9. Robert Ryan

10. Alan Ladd

Trying to pick just 3 is very tough for me , yet alone putting them in any sort of order. I can definitely say that William Powell is my number one actor, probably Edward G Robinson gets the two spot. Then tied for third would be Cagney, Bogart, Burt Lancaster, Henry Fonda, Richard Widmark, Basil Rathbone, now I'm getting brain overload :)

Clint Eastwood has to be somewhere in the top 10-15 especially for a lot of women I would think. As the good looking wife of my best friend said to him 40 years ago: "Honey, if Clint Eastwood ever shows up on my doorstep you're history". She meant it 100%. He's not in my top 10-15 but then I don't have ovaries. Chime in women. Where does good ol' Clint rank for you?? For my money the top three would be Cary, Bogie, and Paul Newman.

Not to mention that Basil Rathbone played some of the most despicable villains of all time.

Basil Rathbone was a romantic leading man also. He is to die for in: *The Last of Mrs. Cheyney* (1929).

I have developed a distaste for listing broad favorites. It is much like asking a mother which child is her favorite. Actors are like children in that they are all special in their own way.

It would be also much work for me as I would have to list three favorite dramatic actors and three comedic actors and three romantic actors and three science fiction actors and three fantasy actors and three mystery actors and so forth and so on. It would be as tiresome to compose such lists as it was tiresome for you to read that sentence which I doubt many did to completion and did no skimming.

Toshiro Mifune

Jean Gabin

Robert Ryan

And do I ever wish that TCM would give us a lot more of those first two.

• Like 1

It's almost impossible to pick just three but if I had to:

James Cagney

Cary Grant

Bela Lugosi ( he may have made some terrible films but he is always so interesting to watch )

honorable mention:

William Powell ( he is just so irresistable ... love his swagger ).

Jimmy Stewart

Henry Fonda

Leslie Howard ( when tCm showcased him as the Star of the month it was a revelation for me. I was not that familiar with some of his work, but I was definitely a fan after that )

There are a lot of actors that I like a lot, but if I had to name only 3, then I would say:

John Wayne - I grew up watching his westerns with my grandmother.

Alberto Sordi - Absolutely fantastic Italian great of whom I have become a fan in recent years. Mafioso has played on TCM. It would be great for TCM to show more of his films. He was so gifted at playing the Italian "everyman" type character.

Elvis Presley - I know that one will be funny to a lot of folks, but I'm a fan and grew up watching his movies, which I find fun.

> {quote:title=SpaakFan wrote:}{quote}

>

> Elvis Presley - I know that one will be funny to a lot of folks, but I'm a fan and grew up watching his movies, which I find fun.

E*lvis movies get a lot of negative reaction*s *but I agree with you. My parents were hu*ge Elvis fans and because of them I grew up watching and listening to Elvis. I always enjoy watching his films. They may not be "Citizen Kane' but they are fun and entertaining and that is exactly what they were supposed to be.

I was stuck in a physical rehab center for the month of May. They didn't have TCM, only Encore. Encore was showing lots of Elvis movies that month. I found exactly two of them to be good films - *Jail House Rock*, and *King Creole*. *KC* is directed by Michael Curtiz, and has a fine cast, including Carolyn Jones, Walter Matthau, Paul Stewart, and Vic Morrow. It's noirish, and very nicely shot. I've read that Elvis thought this was his best film, and I agree.

If others enjoy the other Elvis films, I'm not going to hold that against them. But, to me, they are light-weight, formulaic, and look like beach party movies, even when they aren't.

> {quote:title=libradoll wrote:}{quote}Montgomery Clift

> Montgomery Clift

> Montgomery Clift

So............................which one of the three is your favorite? Sounds like a very close run for you. Hard to pick when all are so great. Maybe it's just best to throw a dart and see which it hits. I gotta secretly admit that I love all of them as well.

I notice that my number one man William Powell has been getting quite a few votes here :)

You should get a prize for having 5 out of the 6 names you listed where either the first or last name starts with a "G"!

Are you sure you don't wish to replace Bogart with Grant or Gable? :)