Sign in to follow this  
crazyblonde7

Your three favorite male actors of all time

65 posts in this topic

SANS FIN writes:

"I have developed a distaste for listing broad favorites. It is much like asking a mother which child is her favorite. Actors are like children in that they are all special in their own way.

It would be also much work for me as I would have to list three favorite dramatic actors and three comedic actors and three romantic actors and three science fiction actors and three fantasy actors and three mystery actors and so forth and so on. It would be as tiresome to compose such lists as it was tiresome for you to read that sentence which I doubt many did to completion and did no skimming."

You are hilarious Sans Fin! And I read your e-ver-eeee word! :D

Michael Caine

Robert De Niro

James Stewart

Humphrey Bogart

Gregory Peck

Robert Mitchum

Sean Connery

Anthony Quinn

Christopher Lee

Jackie Chan

Orson Welles -- the first of his films I saw was MACBETH. I had never even heard of CITIZEN KANE at the time, but I was fascinated by him. Of course, after I saw KANE I was hooked.

Paul Newman -- I recently saw HUD again, and was reminded of what an incredibly good actor he is.

Steve McQueen -- need I say more?

very tough to choose, but I'll go by movies and actors that are like comfort food; I'm always happy and find comfort when watching a film featuring:

William Powell

Cary Grant

Glenn Ford

followed by:

James Stewart

Michael Caine

Peter Sellers

It's very difficult to select just three; but there are a few actors whose presence automatically elevates the film. Even if the film itself is not that great, just having certain favorite actors will make the film watchable if not enjoyable.

These are my favorites:

1) Cary Grant, his sophistication and versatility (whether it's screwball comedy, romance, suspense, etc.) makes him enjoyable in almost all films he's in.

2) Errol Flynn, I don't know if much needs to be said. His charisma, impossible good looks and charm makes him enjoyable in any film he's in. He's very versatile and excellent in a variety of genres (action, western, drama). He's even got a flair for comedy. It's unfortunate that WB didn't cast him in more comedy roles. He's even excellent in a song and dance number in "Thank Your Lucky Stars." He's an underrated talent for sure.

3) Humphrey Bogart. His commanding screen presence and style of speaking is very interesting to watch in films. He really excelled once he was allowed out of the stereotypical gangster roles. The only thing negative I can say about Bogey, is that he was not very good at accents. Watch "Dark Victory" or "Virginia City" and you'll know what I'm talking about.

I also love:

-Montgomery Clift

-Gene Kelly

-Fred Astaire. But strangely enough, I prefer Fred in his films without Ginger Rogers. The celebrated Astaire/Rogers partnership doesn't do anything for me. But I love him in films with other dance partners (Rita Hayworth, Judy Garland, Cyd Charisse, etc) or when he dances alone. His dancing is more interesting in later films without Rogers.

-William Powell

Sorry, I hit the wrong key.  OK, again, 3 favorite male actors:

1.  James Mason

2.  Claude Rains

3.  Daniel Day Lewis

• Like 1

Ok, in no particular order because they are 3 very different actors….but my absolute favorites are these three. I can't go very long without popping into my dvd one of their movies, and if they are on TCM I barricade myself into my house.

Clark Gable

William Powell

Leslie Howard

But, I also love Claude Rains, Errol Flynn, Fred Astaire, and Rex Harrison. I will watch anything they are in. 

If I had to pick later ones, I would have to say, I love John Cazale. Short career film wise, but he was amazing in everything. And I love Daniel Day Lewis. He can play anything and be fantastic.

Ok, in no particular order because they are 3 very different actors….but my absolute favorites are these three. I can't go very long without popping into my dvd one of their movies, and if they are on TCM I barricade myself into my house.

Clark Gable

William Powell

Leslie Howard

But, I also love Claude Rains, Errol Flynn, Fred Astaire, and Rex Harrison. I will watch anything they are in. 

If I had to pick later ones, I would have to say, I love John Cazale. Short career film wise, but he was amazing in everything. And I love Daniel Day Lewis. He can play anything and be fantastic.

Mine would be Leslie Howard,   Bogart, and Cary Grant.     Each has a very different acting style and screen persona and in cases starred in different type of movies.    

Powell is #4.       

1. Ben Kingsley - Schindler's List, Iron Man 3 and most of all, Gandhi

2. Brad Pitt - Mr. & Mrs. Smith, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Legends of the Fall and Troy

3. Tom Hanks - Cast Away, Saving Private Ryan, Catch Me if You Can

1. Dirk Bogarde: The Fixer, Accident, Victim, The Spanish Gardener.

2. Alec Guinness: Damn the Defiant, The Promoter, The Prisoner, The Scapegoat.

3. Laurence Olivier: Fire Over England, Rebecca, Carrie, Marathon Man, Richard III.

• Like 2

I tried to answer this, but I can't.  The top three would be among, Jimmy Stewart, Kurt Russell, Dirk Bogarde, Claude Rains and John Wayne.

I recently watched STAGECOACH, and in the commentary I learned that Orson Welles watched it forty times before making CITIZEN KANE. He said that his favorite directors were "the old masters -- John Ford, John Ford, and John Ford."

In that vein, my three favorite male actors are Orson Welles, Orson Welles, and Orson Welles.

This IS a tough one, especially for the male forum members who "grade" male actors on a different level than women probably would.

And, after 60 years of movie watching, limiting the list to three is also very difficult.  But I'll try.....

Jimmy Stewart

Humphrey Bogart

James Cagney

But, also the "list" shifts due to the differing eras of moviemaking.  The three listed would be from my favorites of the '30's, '40's, and maybe into the '50's.

But, this is also at the cost of great personas like:

Kirk Douglas

Gregory Peck

John Garfield

Cary Grant

Clark Gable

TOLD you this wasn't easy!

Also, guys like STEVE McQUEEN, CHARLES BRONSON,  SPENCER TRACY, also get the short shrift.

Limiting it to three only roots out those with severely limited tastes and knowledge!

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Cary Grant : (been my favorite ever since I can remember and I have almost finished watching his entire filmography)

William Powell

Errol Flynn

• Like 1

Errol Flynn 

Robert Mitchum

Clark Gable