Sign in to follow this  
dot1990cml

ELVIS

19 posts in this topic

Did any of you see the Elvis movie in CBS?

I thought it was good even though I didn't think the guy looked alot like Elvis.The actor portrayed really well I thought.

"Elvis by the Presley's"(also on CBS) was really good it really made you get in touch to what he was feeling at the time. It was kinda of sad that even though he was really huge in the business and "The King" he didn't aspire to be what he could have been. I think he could have been so much more if he was only let to.

What do you guys think?

Not only did I watch it I taped it. However, I have it on 2 different tapes and the Evis by the presley's is behind Survivor the 2nd to last version I don't know how I'll remember them all since I didn't put on any stickers. I thought the Elvis biopic was draggy and it didn't tell one what one didn't already know. The supporting actors where fabulous Parker and Elvis' mamma. I thought the Presley by the Presley's was short on the promised never before seen home movies and heavy on concert footage seen and owned by Elvis fans already. Hey are you aware of www.lisamariepresley.com? They talk about Elvis on there alot.

From what I understand, the man who managed Elvis put severe constraints on which vehicles he could select. It's a shame, because in the few films I've seen Elvis in, I thought he showed some acting promise. I have the feeling he would have felt more worthwhile doing better movie material, too.

there is some interesting revisionist theory out there, about Elvis and I for one enjoy reading about it.

Part of it centers on the place of "Colonel" Parker in the legend. Some say, that everything was masterminded, that in fact, the whole belief that Elvis was being pushed around by him, and that finally Elvis put his foot down, and demanded to sing to a live audience for the '68 Comeback TV Special, and recemented his place in rock history.

But some debunk this, and say the press image of the "Colonel" as demanding Svengali, was masterminded by...Parker himself, knowing full well that fans liked to think of Elvis as fighting back and demanding his rights.

Now, t'is true that Parker got a percentage of the earnings of Elvis, that were incredibly extreme, instead of like 10-15% like most managers or agents, he was getting like half, but this may be due to the generosity of Elvis, even though later after auditting after his death, it was apparent Parker was playing loose with the money.

Friends of Elvis from school, say his image in films as a rebel rouser always amused them, since he was more of a mama's boy, who would never have gotten in a fight, and when one did occur, needed others to help him not get decked. The J.D. look with the long sideburns, was not so much invented to be a teen troublemaker, but more in idolization of Valentino's looks in silent films.

The legend of Elvis has many twists and turns, and no matter how calculated Parker may have manuevered his career, what with the brilliance of the old carny worker marketing not only "I Love Elvis" buttons, but also "I Hate Elvis" buttons to the public, the talent of Presley cannot be denied.

I saw a bit of the biopic, and enjoyed it, but I still like the Kurt Russell tv movie the best.

"Elvis by the Presley'd" is on sale now at stores I think or you can get online at cbs.com.

I think Elvis showed very good promise as an actor, I wish he would have been let to do the movies he wanted, he probaley would have been greater then he already was if he was alowed to show off his acting skills. Does anyone know if/where I can buy the 68th comeback special of elvis?

And about Colonel, I think he was abusing Elvis as an manager, he definately took advantage of him. I don't know about him having anything to do w/his death.

I wish Elvis would have realized that he wasn't healthy and that he needed help. Because he had alot to live for and he had alot of people that wanted him to live.

So who do you feel is responsible for getting him into the biggest batch of boring, repetitive, formulaic, just plain silly movies of all time? I thought he had great talent and potential that was squandered on that junk, and 'Love Me Tender' was the only decent film he ever made. Just a darn crying shame!

I think the Colonel was totally responsible for him doing all those movies. He wanted to be a serious actor. I think he probabley only enjoyed a few of those repetitive movies if that. I own and love "Love Me Tender". I have never got to see that movie where he plays half indian half white character. Ummm, "Flaming Star" I think.I want to see it though.

dot1990cml-you can find the 68 special at youe local Wal-Mart that is where I found mine. It's with the CDs to the side of lots of concert footage from other Artist like Beyonce or other stars videos which means you'll have to move the packages around to find what you want. It cost me $39.00(I think it has been awhile) but it is chockfull of 4 hours of material. The Aloha from Hawaii special is cheaper in price and you should be able to find it at Wal-Mart also-good luck finding it!

a grown man.

He did not have to follow any directives by the Colonel or Hal Wallis, or anyone at RCA Victor, concerning his career. More than anyone, being one of the biggest, if not the biggest rock stars and recording artists of all time, he could certainly have called the shots, if he did not want to do films like "Girl Happy" or other dreck.

My guess is he was a bit lazy, and resting on his laurels, and it is easier to blame the Colonel. It is true that the Colonel tried to dissuade him from doing any international tours or filming in foreign countries, due to the Colonel not wanting to have to get a Visa or passport, but if Elvis had wanted to do anything, I'm sure if push came to shove, he could have had things his own way.

Maybe he preferred just taking it easy with the Memphis Mafia, renting out roller rinks and movie houses and going out with his friends, and not taking advantage of roles which came his way, like when Barbra Streisand offered him the role, that eventually went to Kris Kristofferson in her film, "A Star is Born".

I think Elvis could have done that role justice, but if he preferred playing only heroic roles, than it is his own fault if he let the Colonel's belief that he would be in Barbra's shadow by taking on the part.

Sure the Colonel was a con man and user, but if you keep a viper up to your neck, don't be surprised if he bites you.

I am a big Elvis fan, but I still feel he was responsible for his own career choices.

I think that is wrong to pin all the responsibility on Elvis. Elvis was young when he started and was very vunerable beacause he didn't know anything about the business. Alot of people that knew him said he was like a little boy, so he looked to colonel for guidence, and the Colonel used him. Then when he was older I think he started getting too depresses I think to make any decisions. maybe he should have stood up but Colnonel played his money oncome agaginst and amde him believe he knew best. i don't think you should think so harsh of him.

I am a big Elvis lover, and I'm not being harsh but just honest.

Shoot, I made my boyfriend take me to Graceland last year as it had always been a dream to visit there, and I also hit Sun Studios which was a real wonderful place and full of nostalgia.

I love Elvis, and I have sympathy for him, and think he was a goodhearted person, but he must take some responsibility for decisions he made, not when he was 21 and trying to please his mother Gladys, and make a few bucks to help her and his dad, but later on when he was over thirty, and had eyes to see and ears to hear.

I do think the Colonel was crooked, but I also think that Elvis was smart enough to be a bit more savvy about his own career.

One can't always blame those who take advantage of them. You have to let them do that....by your own free will.

No offense..it is obvious you are an Elvis fan, and so am I, so we're on the same page here, and regardless...Elvis was an amazing entertainer with limitless talent to be sure and we can agree on that.

Thanks for discussing these issues with me!

As much as I admire Elvis as a musician/performer, his movies are just plain UN-watchable.

I watched an Elvis day on TCM a year or two ago to try to see what some see in those movies and I'm telling you....I came really close to becoming a crack addict.

I almost prefer Tom Cruise movies......no wait....I take that back.

Tom

If you get a chance check out Elvis Presley in the Paramount film "King Creole" (1958) and I believe you may be surprised that given half the chance Presley could manage a decent acting role.

The film also stars Carolyn Jones, Dolores Hart, Dean Jagger, Walter Matthau as a baddie, Vic Morrow, etc.

Mongo

there are the Elvis programmers, which could just have numbers on them, as they are all interchangeable, and then there are a few in which there is some discernible storyline like "King Creole" or "Jailhouse Rock".

Sure...they were made for teens and young fans, but a few have pleasant storylines, like "Viva Las Vegas" and Ann-Marget makes that one jell.

They're kitsch, but just like junk food, man [or woman] cannot live by filet mignon alone.

For a real laugh, see "Change of Habit" with Elvis as a doctor treating autism in children, and Mary Tyler Moore with giant fake eyelashes, as a nun, out of habit.

Funny!

That is true about him taaking on his own responsibilities, he should hav even Prescilla said that in her interview for "Elvis by the Presley's". Some peole just don't know how to take on responsibility.

Have you gon to the Elvis Museum in Vegas I went there a couple of months ago and it was fantastic.

The only movies I've seen where Elvis showed off his acting skills were "Love Me Tender" and "Viva Las Vegas". But I liked "rzoustabout", BLUE HAWAII", PAradise Hawaii Stile (I think that was the NAme) and this one where a rich father pays Elvis to watch over his daughter, but then Elvis falls in love w/her. There ar emore I just can;t remeber the titles right now.

I haven't seen King Creole, I would really like too though.

Ellie

ps sorry for all the grammar errors eeek

4 stars to Mongo on '58's good *** "King Creole"

(NOTE: I am on the other side of "The Camp" so to speak Being a *"Chairman of the Board: Frank Sinatra" (1915-98) fan!)

However, Elvis could be a pretty fine actor given the right script,etc

He was no *Sinatra-(& Bobby Darin may have also had an edge, acting-wise?)

Most cite 1957's "Jailhouse Rock" as his best movie. For me it's close between the 2 above & 1960's Western "Flaming Star"

Col. Tom Parker is the man of whom truly dominated his career-(& a lot of his life as well)

That is why all the silly 1960's fluff.

& given the way he was raised, he stayed loyal to his mgr.

(TRIVIA: I do know Presley's personal fav. was Tony Curtis & that is reason why he essentially dyed his own hair to jet black)

Thanks

Like I've said before I think Elvis could have had a great acting carreer if he had a chance to do some quality films(he did some but not as many as he wanted to).

His acting carreer was right up there with or beyond his dreams of being a singer

And I thought he died his hair black cuz he had to do it for a movie and liked it so he kept it that way.