Sign in to follow this  
joefilmone

"Star Trek: Into Darkness" (2014)

6 posts in this topic

I enjoyed this movie mainly because Zachary Quinto is a perfect Spock but the others playing younger versions of the classic characters are fine too.

My only quibble was their using Leonard Nimoy again. Its not that I dont like seeing him but his cameo served no real purpose and he was used to much better effect in the last film.

I had real problems with Into Darkness. I liked Star Trek 11 because the re-introduction of the original crew was amusingly prototypical of the original series and because of the twisted, time-jumping plot. Even though ST 11 played fast and loose with Trek history, the movie managed to remain believable. However Darkness consciously trashed these boundaries without remorse, asking me to believe that Cumberbatch was Khan and that he met Kirk before the ?Space Seed? episode. This was done simply because it's so much easier to create the story. The term "re-booting" was invented for the Dark Knight flicks to disguise this fact and the term has also been applied to the new Trek movies for the same reason. The interactions between the crew members were weaker than ST 11 due to less intensity and more familiarity. In addition, Darkness relied on the current industry standard of furious action scenes and gigantic spectacle to disguise a weak story a la Avatar or Transformers, thus satisfying the film?s intended target audience. The humongous black spaceship is a case in point: supposedly the Enterprise was state-of-the art but J.J. Abrams had no qualms about pulling a giant mechno-rabbit out of his top hat just for the sake of a spectacular ending. All of these traits must be chalked up to Abrams and it makes me very fearful of what will happen to the new Star Wars films. The only thing I liked about Darkness was seeing Pete Weller back in the saddle.

I didn't like Quinto's Spock. I couldn't decide if he was trying too hard or not at all. Plus he was missing that signature "eyebrow lift" that Nimoy did so well.

Sepiatone

This is another timeline. With that in mind I justify Quinto's Spock, as well as the other actor's characters. If he can stretch this series out long enough for Spock to mature a bit more, perhaps that eyebrow trait will emerge. I'm trying to recall if Leonard Nimoy used this in the first episodes of the TV series. His hair was shorter and his eyebrows and ears were more exaggerated. I'll have to re-watch some of these..