Sign in to follow this  
FrRonald

Name of film

13 posts in this topic

I remember seeing a film with (maybe) Maria Montez,Turhab Bey, John Hall--a young couple were in love but could not marry due to their place society---so in order to be together in the future life,they jump off a cliff....Any one remember that picture?

No, TCM ran Night in Paradise recently and it had Turhan Bey and Merle Oberon starring.

It's been a long time since I've seen it, but weren't Oberon and Bey supposed to jump off a cliff at the end of A NIGHT IN PARADISE? I seem to recall the plot line leading up to a cliff edge, but through some fast talking, the lovers or some other character convince the ruler that all sorts of chicanery was being practiced by the high priest and that the couple deserved to live.

As I said, it's been a long time and I can't exactly claim that I'm in any rush to see the film again. Arthur Lubin may have been trying to recreate the magic of his Montez/Hall films, but I recall this one as being rather disappointing.

I'm sorry that I can't answer your question. However, I can say that there is no film in which Montez and Hall jump off a cliff together.

I've never heard of this movie, but I have to say, I don't think I'd want to watch a film that ends with a couple jumping off a cliff together as the solution to their problems. Despite what the lovers might think, a couple of mangled bodies at the bottom of a cliff is not romantic.

Sorry, I know I sound cranky. But I tend to dislike films that display suicide as the best option in a crisis.

I've always felt that way about the ending to *Thelma and Louise.*

(Of course, there are exceptions, *White Heat* being one of them.)

In Night in Paradise Turhan Bey and Merle Oberon are pushed off a cliff near the end of the movie.

Saaaay...isn't Veronica Lake in this movie TOO?

And isn't THIS the opening scene???...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXP-F_Oh04BfAcZQfm6RV

(...sorry, couldn't resist) ;)

Wow, very creative picture! You have real talent.

I really like how one cannot see the entire bay (and thus one can assume it connects with an ocean), while the lake is clearly inland.

I wish I could take credit for this James, but I was lucky enough to find it on Google Images after being reminded of this opening shot of an old WB cartoon after Turhan Bey's name was mentioned in this thread.

(...I think it was a Bugs Bunny cartoon to be exact)

In Night in Paradise Turhan Bey and Merle Oberon are pushed off a cliff.

Some magical spirt brings them back to life at the very end of the movie. But they did go off the cliff at the end of the film. They didn't jump, they were pushed by guys with spears.

See at 6:30 into this clip:

I loved the ending of Night in Paradise, with all those kids. Six, I believe. And she looked as young as ever in spite of all that parenthood.

He was pretty gorgeous as the young Aesop in that picture. I loved her line when he showed up in disguise as the Old Aesop ... "Why didn't you send the pretty one?"