Sign in to follow this  
FlyBackTransformer

Steven Spielberg to remake The Grapes of Wrath

341 posts in this topic

Sepiatone, if you look thru the whole thread, you'll see that there are quite a few of us that do not have a problem with Spielberg doing a remake. The nay sayer's have a problem, because whether they like it or not, whether they complain, it appears that the remake is going to be made, so what's the point of going on with the complaints? As I said TWICE, in the right hands, I don't have a problem with this Classic material being remade. Spielberg is a responsible, sensitive, talented film maker, that knows how to film in COLOR or BLACK and WHITE. He did a fine job with his last effort *Lincoln* and he CERTAINLY knows how to film in B&W if he chooses to. I guess that his *Schindler's List* has been forgotten by some. I agree with you, having strong negative feelings, BEFORE the film is made doesn't really make much sense.

> having strong negative feelings, BEFORE the film is made doesn't really make much sense.

EXACTLY, Lavender!

To have an automatic and reflexive negative reaction BEFORE a remake is even made IS just a MILDER version of how many Muslims SOMEHOW felt "slighted" and was an "affront" to them BEFORE they even THOUGHT of sitting down and watching Moustapha Akkad's very well done and sympathetic telling of the life of Mohammad in his 1976 film "Mohammad, Messenger of God" aka "The Message", OR how Martin Scorsese's "The Last Temptation of Christ" was "received" by some Christians who hadn't even bothered to view the film for themselves before denouncing it 1988.

It's nothing BUT a case of closed-mindedness in ALL instances...PERIOD!!!

Yeah Dargou, and I bet you wouldn't want to give up your Shiny Red Triumph for a Honda Motorcycle ! :)

(I bet the thoughts of it is making you cringe right now ! ) :0

Maybe John Ford will come back from the dead and remake SCHINDLER'S LIST.

And Drew Barrymore can start working on a remake of E.T. with Spielberg.

Sound good...?

Ah! Now you see Twink, you'd be wrong again here.

Just the other day I walked into a Honda dealer and sat on this Honda CB1100..

13_Honda_CB_1100_8.jpg

...a motorcycle that harks back to the days of the classic "UJM"(that stands to "Universal Japanese Motorcycle", which means an across-the-frame four cylinder engine in a Standard style motorcycle, not a "Crusier" and not a "Sportbike") and I thought to myself, "I suuuuure would like to own this bike!"

(...and so, ya see, just as your thinking that a remake of "The Grapes of Wrath" would be a "bad thing" is an incorrect thought, SO was this idea of yours about me possibly not liking a Honda motorcycle!)

LOL

;)

Is this suppose to be a realistic discussion of this particular remake or not? Unless you can figure out a way to resurrect Ford, don't see the relevance to this discussion. And since I doubt you or anyone else can make Drew look 7 again, again don't see the relevance to this discussion.

If you don't like the idea of this remake, why not just write that and your reasons. sorry, but those 2 last cracks of yours imo, just don't work as a justification for not remaking a film.

Sorry to interrupt the flow of conversation with something that has nothing to do with this thread - lav, FYI, your mailbox is full. Thanks! :)

Drew can play the mother in a remake of E.T. And John Ford's ghost can haunt the production of a remake of THE GRAPES OF WRATH. Why not?

I am not against remakes in general, and some films (not all films) should be remade to take advantage of new technologies or the abolishment of the production code which often meant compromised endings in the past.

But then there are other films that are like the Holy Grail of Hollywood Cinema, and really should not be remade. It's disrespectful to think anyone can exceed, let alone match, the beautiful job John Ford did on this particular film. What stupidity to even try to re-do it. I think it's a big mistake.

It's on a par with a religious crackpot thinking he can rewrite the Bible.

Most of the discussion about a so called remake is folly since it is NOT the film that is being remade. All that is happening is that one is making a NEW movie based on a BOOK, where there have been previous movies made from the same BOOK.

So Fred's point about Citizen Kane is only valid if the original source material is an original screenplay.

A common discussion with movies based on books is how faithful the movie is to the book. The foundation of this discussion is how one drafts a screenplay out of all the material contain in a book. In most cases if a movie was really based on the book, that movie would be 20 hours long!

So when judging a so called remake I recommend one compare it to the book more so than prior movie versions.

PS: I'm somewhat surprised by Arutro's POV here. It is like once a movie is great another interpretation has no merit. Instead I welcome another group of artists interpretation of classic source material.

Edited by: jamesjazzguitar on Jul 5, 2013 4:06 PM

>It's on a par with a religious crackpot thinking he can rewrite the Bible.

TB, after reading this line of yours AND bringing the idea of "religion" into it, I might redirect your attention down to what I said very recently down there about some people "pre-judging" a film before watching it, AND which is a "slightly different" take on your "religious" thought AND one I BELIEVE would be the PERFECT counterpoint to what YOU just said here.

(...and once you RE-read what I wrote down there, please think about it for a while)

That's an excellent point James, and one that was obviously overlooked by the posters who are so adamant about not making this film adaption of The Grapes Of Wrath .

I didn't know Jefferson was a religious crackpot!

Off to jam with the boys. With these guys we play mostly Beatles, Stones and Doors songs. Have fun kids!

>So Fred's point about Citizen Kane is only valid if the original source material is an original screenplay.

Yes.

I think the big question here is: "Is Spielberg making his own film based on the 1939 novel?" or "Is Spielberg trying to do a re-make of the 1940 film?"

Who's to decide what films, should be remade? Someone posted on the thread that they didn't CARE about Ford's *Grapes Of Wrath* . Again, taste in films is subjective. What makes the attitude that filmakers are NOT allowed to remake a film any different than censorship? If Spielberg or any responsible filmaker wants or thinks they have a unique vision of a piece of literature that can be made into a film, why pre-judge and decide that it's dsrespectful to the original film or original filmaker. You certainly have the option of not going to see the film. If a younger generation does not want to sit through a film that was made 60 or 70 years ago, or doesn't want to read the original source material, this is the way for those to be exposed to a wonderful and important story. I still say, nothing wrong with that. and further, I'll reserve my judgement on how good or bad this film is AFTER I see it.

Why not remake GREED!

You're right finance, that's what it is really all about, GREED !

Why settle for a 'knockoff' when we have the 'real thing' !

Twink

>Who's to decide what films, should be remade?

Two parties. Number one: Studio financing executives who greenlight the project (and they have been known to be wrong and throw good money away on something that should not be remade). Number two: Audiences (and they are never wrong). If THE LONE RANGER flops, which it seems like it is already tanking, then it will not be remade again. The audience is letting the studio bigwigs know that it will not buy any more remakes of this kind. I think that is what's going to happen to Spielberg's GRAPES OF WRATH. He is no John Ford, and it will be seen as a folly in his later career phase. Now if John Huston were alive and wanting to remake this story, then I think it would stand a chance. But not with Spielberg. It's a terrible, terrible mistake.

One does not need to wait to find out the results, when common sense seems to say that Spielberg's style is all wrong for this type of project. Imagine the director of AIRPLANE! attempting to remake HOWARDS END or A ROOM WITH A VIEW. We do not need to wait and waste good money on a movie ticket to know it will not work.

Bless your heart Dargou,....I do hope you get that Honda ! B-)

(although,.... I thought for Sure, you were in Love with your TRIUMPH !!!) :|

Twink

"The Greaps of Wrath" is one of the masterpieces of classic American film- I really don't understand what would be the point of a remake- yes they might want to be more faithful to the book- I saw a very good play adaptation.

The next thing you know Spielberg will want to remake Abel Gance's NAPOLEON and Murnau's SUNRISE.

I hope someone comes along and remakes JAWS, SAVING PRIVATE RYAN and SCHINDLER'S LIST, then he will get a taste of his own cinematic medicine. And I hope it's some feminist director who will subvert the tar out of his films.

I guess the job will probably fall to me. Okay, move out of the way, Stevie. I am going to take your movie camera away from you. I graduated from USC's Film School, a place that denied you admission.

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:

> }{quote}I didn't know Jefferson was a religious crackpot!

>

> Off to jam with the boys. With these guys we play mostly Beatles, Stones and Doors songs. Have fun kids!

Cover versions of well known songs? "Cover" is music industry code for "remake." ;)

Hey, have a good time, let it roll, baby, roll - all night long.

So, don't waste your money and see the film. You can wait until it's on TV or don't see it all. I'd rather go through life with an open mind than a closed one. Deciding that a movie is not going to be any good before it's even made is not giving it a fair chance, why not wait and see.

On this, yes, I will keep a closed mind and save my money and time. My hope is that if there is enough people criticizing it before it's even made, he will back off and turn to another project.