Sign in to follow this  
lostApril1

ZOMBIE BOULEVARD.

7 posts in this topic

Probably been said here before, but the more I watch TCM the more I wonder: Why can't Hollywood make decent (meaning good) movies anymore? can't filmmakers tell a good stories about people and what makes us human?

Just saw WWZ, what a disaster. Hollywood can't even craft a decent zombie picture better that a low budget Night of the Living Dead or even better Carnival of Souls.

Compared with practically any TCM film shown especially ones from 20's, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, most of today's popular movies lack substance, nothing to illuminate the human condition. Can the gene pool or tastes have change so rapidly?

When all around human events are happening that our arts should reflect, Hollywood turns our this a remake of The Lone Ranger?

You're right lostApril (intriguing name), there is a lot of rubbish coming out in first-run theatres these days.

It's not that there are not also good, intelligent, well-crafted films also being made - they still exist. But it seems we have to look harder to find them, and if you don't live in a town that has some kind of repertory or at least "alternative" cinema, you're probably beat for that kind of movie.

My main complaint is that, where I live, despite the fact that my city has several movie theatres, each one with mulitple screening rooms, they all show a handful of the same movies, 90% of them the kind of stupid big budget junk you're talking about.

Example: if there are, say, 30 screening rooms altogether in my town, 10 of them will be showing the same "blockbuster", usually an unimaginative super hero offering; the remaining 20 will be playing an assortment of rom coms, disaster movies, or teens seeking sex flicks.

I don't mind the junk being screened, for those who want junk. I just want a little more choice.

And there are alternatives, I hear about interesting new films coming out all the time. It's just that in my town, anyway, I have very little opportunity of seeing them.

I agree there surely are some decent films that make it to the multiplexes now and then. And I'm not naive about why Hollywood manages to distribute these kind of mindless blockbusters or progidious CA films. But they (paricular the former) are essentially what the Drive-ins used to show. Only not as entertaining. The visual pace of these current films is nerve wracking, mindnumbing to say the least. They repel you rather than involve you. Where's Stanley Kubrick when you need him?

I loved the classic monster movies and horror films from the 50s and early 60s. The Blob, I Married a Monster from OuterSpace, The Creature Walks among us, Rodan! to name a few. But these B films were vastly more creative, entertaining and involving than these bloated blockbusters.

I assume that you saw *World War Z* because you are a fan of zombie movies. If so, I'd like to recommend *Warm Bodies*, another 2013 zombie movie, to you if you haven't seen it already. Although I wouldn't call it a classic, I found it enjoyable and it does deal with the concept of, to use your own words, what makes us human. Which is the kind of thing that small movies like *Warm Bodies* can usually do better than big movies like *World War Z*.

So LA1, I take it you didn't much care for 2007's "I Am Legend", huh?!

Well, I'm no "Zombie Aficionado" by any means, but I thought that Will Smith movie was fairly well done, and yes, even with all the overdone special-effects in it. I especially thought Will fleshed out a character we could root for and thus wasn't overshadowed by those effects.

Not particularly a Zombie fan, but if there ever was an apt metaphor or archetype for our times ZOMBIEZ should be top of the list. WWZ had the potential to create such a metaphor but you get the distinct feeling as the film progresses to vapidness, "Why bother?" Just Give 'em action and SFX."

I disagree about big movies, they have incredible power to tell a human story and illuminate what it means to be human and alive.

I saw Warm Bodies last week. I agree it was a affecting love story. Teresa Palmer did a very good job as the female lead, (not to mention she is very beautiful.) The scene where her and her friend Nora give The zombie a makeover was really funny, ("will you turn of that music!!? No it's funny.")

Mr Casey. If you want to see an offbeat love story I very much recomend *Wristcutters, A Love Story.*