Sign in to follow this  
traceyk65

Classic Hollywood Daily Divas

562 posts in this topic

Just spent the weekend with my daughter, the Lovely Erin...thought a little Mother-daughter humor might be in order today:

MARMOMMEME_zps678bee4d.png

"Ukelele Joan" (apologies to Cliff Edwards)

> {quote:title=traceyk65 wrote:}{quote}GARBOUKE_zps35eaa9cc.png

VP, I know it sucks when you have to explain your joke but Im at a loss too, I think... ?:|

This one isn't mine--I came across it online and thought it was funny...Bette the Hipster

BETTEHIPSTER_zpsd18d5ef5.png

> {quote:title=traceyk65 wrote:}{quote}VP, I know it sucks when you have to explain your joke but Im at a loss too, I think... ?:|

Cliff Edwards was nicknamed "Ukelele Ike."

The person playing the ukulele is Garbo. Joan is the one with all the kids.

So I still don't get why you posted 'Ukulele Joan' but showed a picture of Garbo.

Oh well, since I play the ukulele it is always nice to see two pictures of someone playing it (and Garbo makes it all the better).

PS: The spell checker spells 'ukelele' as 'ukulele'. According to the dictionary, using 'u' is more common then using the 'e', but 'e' is a valid variation.

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}The person playing the ukulele is Garbo. Joan is the one with all the kids.

>

> So I still don't get why you posted 'Ukulele Joan' but showed a picture of Garbo.

>

> Oh well, since I play the ukulele it is always nice to see two pictures of someone playing it (and Garbo makes it all the better).

>

> PS: The spell checker spells 'ukelele' as 'ukulele'. According to the dictionary, using 'u' is more common then using the 'e', but 'e' is a valid variation.

My mistake. I thought it was Joan.

> {quote:title=VP19 wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}The person playing the ukulele is Garbo. Joan is the one with all the kids.

> >

> > So I still don't get why you posted 'Ukulele Joan' but showed a picture of Garbo.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Oh well, since I play the ukulele it is always nice to see two pictures of someone playing it (and Garbo makes it all the better).

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > PS: The spell checker spells 'ukelele' as 'ukulele'. According to the dictionary, using 'u' is more common then using the 'e', but 'e' is a valid variation.

> >

> My mistake. I thought it was Joan.

Nope. That was Garbo, in her more or less original state, pre-MGM makeover. You can see the potential there, but she ain't GARBO. Not yet.

And thank you for explanation of "Ukelele Ike." I get what you were going for now. ;)

It's Lucille Ball's birthday, here's a little Lucy glamour for your day:

LUCYFUNNYBEAUTY_zps8f7afd57.png

Are you sure that is Carole Lombard. Often those 'images' sites have pictures of people that are NOT the person associated with the site.

Doesn't look like her to me but than she did look different in her very early years.

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}Are you sure that is Carole Lombard. Often those 'images' sites have pictures of people that are NOT the person associated with the site.

>

> Doesn't look like her to me but than she did look different in her very early years.

{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif}James--Yup that's her. I have the same photo in a book of Hollywood glamour shots called Image Makers:60 Years of Hollywood Glamour p. 90. It's a 1926 general publicity shot for Pathe. She would have been about 18.{font}

Edited by: traceyk65 on Aug 8, 2013 1:55 PM