Sign in to follow this  
therealfuster

Movie Themes....

19 posts in this topic

for which ones are you a sucker?

For me, if a film has any of these elements, then I usually will want to watch it...a train, an asylum, a carnival or circus atmosphere, an art heist, gorillas, or someone with a facial or body deformity, who is being operated on or hiding from society.

If all these elements come together in a film, then I would really be glued to my set, as I was last nite while watching my tape of "House of Horrors". Tonite I plan to watch "Morgan: A Suitable Case for Treatment" for obvious reasons.

Many old Hollywood films set in the Thirties, Forties, and Fifties have people travelling by train, like in "The Major or the Minor" or "The Palm Beach Story" or "Some Like It Hot" and I am always so envious, as I'd like to meet the Ale and Quail Club and it looks like so much fun, but then I remember that I might also meet Bruno, and since I like tennis, I get over my intense envy of train passengers.

Along the lines of the facial deformity theme, I include films like "Les Yeux Sans Visage", anything with Rondo Hatton, people altering their appearance for criminal reasons, like Kent Smith in "Nora Prentiss" or films like "Queen of Outer Space", that unsung classic with Zsa Zsa Gabor and the radiation burn victim.

What themes in movies, make you feel constrained to watch...albeit even if just for a little while?

I'm a sucker for scenery like the ocean or mountains. Especially mountains. If there are mountains in a movie I will at least check it out.

I'm a sucker for 'con' movies. If a movie has these elements ... detective/heist/con-men/whatever.. I almost always will stop and watch it.

Lately that seems to be the theme of the movies I've rented and bought.

I also seem to like nuns/missionaries/priests as in.. The Inn of The Sixth Happiness, The Left Hand of God, The Keys To The Kingdom ,Lilly's of The Field, The Mission, Brother Orchid.

Not until your post did I relize the whole train thing but I relized too that alot of movies I enjoy also have a train scene. Funny.

Now my husband on the other hand will watch anything with a submarine in it. I think he has built in radar that knows when a movie will be on with subs in it!

Jala

I love movies with themes like "lost love" or "tragedy strikes love" or terrible misunderstandings that cause lovers to split.It is funny because I am very level headed, common sense, and anti-dramatic in real life. For whatever reason these movies draw me in every time!

I'm a sucker for the self-sacrifice theme, which showed up especially before the war, when class distinctions still seemed more insurmountable to people, I guess. Often someone was giving up a lover or child because it could hurt his or her social standing, career, etc. And heroes who give their lives for others are always very moving to me...

Camille, Stella Dallas, Three on a Match, Remember the Night, So Proudly We Hail, and many from the early 1930s. That's only a few of 'em...

Films that depict a certain era and social status in the 20's,30's&40's- Gangsters,Film noir,Comedies& Dramas like "**** Enemy,The Killers,They Drive by night,I walk alone,Grand Hotel,My man Godfrey,The Big House,Little Caesar,

Dinner at eight,and of course the standards "Philadelphia story,Thin Man series any thing Bogart

but this one about cons or heists, struck a chord with me also.

I just watched Dassin's "Rififi" on DVD and realized that I too like any type of film like that. And there certainly are some good ones, even later films like the original "Thomas Crown Affair" with Steve McQueen and lots of good Noirish films from the post war years.

Thanks!

GREAT topic Fuster!!!!!!!

I am a total sucker for prison movies!!!!!!

Good guys in prison......

Bad guys in prison......

Women in prison......

Men in prison......

Gorilla's in prison.....

If someone is behind bars, I'll be tuning in!!!!!!

don't get any better than "Caged" with Jan Sterling, Hope Emerson, and the ravishing Eleanor Parker.

Have you seen it?

Prison pics are great, and I'd forgotten that genre. Who can forget Cagney flipping out in the mess hall in "White Heat"?

I also like "Birdman of Alcatraz" although it was a highly sanitized version of the true story.

The words suspense, mystery, and haunted get me everytime. And atmosphere! Brooding manor houses, lonely moors, dark mansions, sinister country inns...oooh, I get all shivery just thinking about them! Favorite movies: 'The Uninvited', 'Rebecca', 'The Spiral Staircase', 'Jamaica Inn', 'The Haunting'(older version), and 'Ghost Breakers' to name a few.

I'd welcome any other suggestions as well. Thanks

I also sacrificial movie. I love the movie Camille. Have you red the bo ok. I like the new and old version. I also like,Moulin Rouge, (I don't know if this falls under sacrifical movie but) Splendor in the Grass, Romeo and Juliet, and many others I just can't think of them right now. My friends say I'm into tragic love stories I'm starting to believe them.

And for the topic provider I loved Palm Beach Story. Caludette Colbert is an amazing actress and the chemistery between her and her costar is great in that movie.

Considering your taste, I'm wondering if you've seen James Mason in "The Night Has Eyes"?

This film has everything you'd want...a murderer, the Yorkshire Moors, suspense, brooding deluxe, and atmosphere galore! It is quite scary and one part of it actually gave me the shivers, and I don't scare easily.

I don't know if it's been seen on TCM, but I bought it on VHS in a boxed set of suspense thrillers, with "The Red House".

Those British films set on the Moors do seem to have the most atmospheric miasma to be sure.

Oh, I forgot another movie theme I am a sucker for....jungle flicks! Even B to Z grade drive-in pabulum, like "The Leech Woman".

Hi Therealfuster'

The title 'The Night Has Eyes' sounds vaguely familiar to me, perhaps from years ago. It does sound like it's right up my alley, and funny you should mention it, not an hour ago I placed a request for 'The Red House' on "Suggest a Movie" but unfortunately it's not available in the TCM library. Bummer! I'll check my local video store for copies of both. Thanks for the heads up.

I've seen "The Red House" on TCM.

It is also out in a dvd version, and I own both a really cheap print and a more expensive one, and they both look really decent.

It has not be remastered but even a $5.99 copy, which I've seen at Borders in the cheapie rack, looks pretty good.

Have you seen that film already? It is an underrated gem in my opinion, and Eddie is wonderful in it. As is good old Judith Anderson in a rather likable part not like Mrs. Danvers.

Enjoy!

Hey Fust....

I have not seen caged! Man....it sounds like a night of fireworks at the parade to me!

TCM ever show it?

Tom

To: Therealfuster,

I did see 'The Red House' one time on TV maybe around 1960. Can't even remember much about it except the atmosphere. If TCM has played it once, perhaps they will again. But I'll check the stores as well.

Also for those who might be interested 'The Uninvited' will be playing on TCM at 3:45AM, Sunday 5/22. Great spooky flick!

"Caged".

Shot by the same guy, Carl Guthrie who lensed the tense Steve Cochran flicks, "Highway 301" and "Storm Warning" how can "Caged" miss with actresses like Hope Emerson around to scare the bejeebers out of younger ones like poor sweet Eleanor Parker, and the film also had the tough as toenails Jan Sterling, who was quite the tart in Billy Wilder's "Ace in the Hole", but in real life was married to that sweet Paul Douglas.

I'm sure you'd like it, but I've never seen it shown on TCM. Maybe we should request a Women's Slammer and Big House Nite for an upcoming TCM festival?

This flick even has an appearance by Gordon MacRae's wife, Sheila and also has bits by Lee Patrick and Jane Darwell, with little Ellen Corby around for good measure and Agnes Moorehead to keep them all in line.

If you are offended by subtle hints of behaviour from the Island of Lesbos, don't watch!