Sign in to follow this  
classiccinemafan

The Laughing Policeman (1973) - he never laughed once in the movie

12 posts in this topic

I'd like this movie to come on TCM some time in the future. It's a Fox film. I seen it on last week in the early morning hours. It's a good movie , but not Matthau's best. Bruce Dern's character shines more than Matthau's.

The movie is about a dead cop who was among the vicitms of a bus shooting in san francisco. Matthau and Dern try to find out why the cop was on the bus and who did the shooting.

After watching this movie , I felt a little cheated. I expected more out of it. I don't know. Maybe I was expecting something like "The Seven Ups" , which came out two years later with the 'Jaws' guy in it.

Edited by: classiccinemafan on Jul 29, 2013 5:37 PM

one thing that bothers me about this movie. What was the killer's motive ? does he just kill for the heck of it. No motive was revealed. Some things I just don't understand about this movie.

Uh-huh...and thus the very reason Steven Bochco's "Cop Rock" bombed with television audiences back in the early '90s!

Aha! Looking for --and found --this thread for this film.

I would insist that its a very interesting flick, despite its flaws. I don't dismiss it from Matthau's great string of 1970s performances.

I'd like to see more discussion about it in general. Gritty and realistic. Norwegian authored source novel --and Swedish crime thrillers now rule the market as you probably know.

Louis Gossett Jr is in this one; and Joanna Cassidy too. Of course, it might only be some percentage of Joanna Cassidy and Louis Gossett Jr, (depending on your subjective determination based on how many ne-noirs they starred in total)

On 7/29/2013 at 5:37 PM, classiccinemafan said:

I'd like this movie to come on TCM some time in the future. It's a Fox film. I seen it on last week in the early morning hours. It's a good movie , but not Matthau's best. Bruce Dern's character shines more than Matthau's.

I own that one on DVD. Good movie.

I really enjoy Matthau's work - particularly in the 1970's.

The book by Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö, was way better, took place in Malmö, Sweden, which was part of it's charm.  

• Thanks 1

There's a really important take-away from this film --despite any other of its merits or faults--which is very useful in real-life. After watching it, you realize you should never take a seat anywhere in a bus or train other than a rear seat in the last row. I abide by this all the time.

18 hours ago, hamradio said:

charles-penrose-the-laughing-policeman-l

The best comedians [and comedic policemen] don't laugh at their own jokes or arrest warrants. Ask Kojak...

By the way, is Dargo2 a siamese twin of the other one here?

Yes, the original book was definitely better. The Swedish setting was far more interesting than that of San Francisco in the movie. Let's say that something was "lost in translation".