Sign in to follow this  
tcmfan4ever82!

Magnificent Obsessions

2 posts in this topic

I was finally able to see both film versions of the classic drama Magnificent Obsession: the 1954 film adaptation (left) with Rock Hudson & Jane Wyman as well as the 1935 original version (right) with Robert Taylor & Irene Dunne. This 1954 version had a siginificant difference in it that it was more of a lush remake directed by the legendary Douglas Sirk and yet both films became wondrous romantic tearjerkers that I've had the immense pleasure & joy of viewing; although I've deeply enjoyed seeing both film versions of Magnificent Obsession, I don't think that I could ever forget Otto Kruger's performance in the 1954 film as the "sender" of the Magnificent Obsession or the wonderful portrayals both Taylor & Dunne gave (Bob Merrick and Helen Chandler respectively). If there was anything that I could say regarding the basis/plot of both films, it would be that it reminded me so much of the phrase "Pay it Forward"--in a way, it's like giving something back selflessly without expecting nothing in return and to me that's what I think ALL classic films have achieved over the years, regardless of what the media's surfaced with the new line of movies featured in certain movie theaters!

Good analysis. Magnificent Obsession is a sort of 'pay it forward' type movie. Both versions have merit and are very good. While I think my favorite version is the one from 1954(I saw that one first), I feel that Robert Taylor really impressed me with his Bob Merrick. While I love Hudson's performance, Taylor seemed to really be trying to become a break-out actor in this role.