Sign in to follow this  
traceyk65

Tired Old Queen videos

156 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever seenthis guy on Youtube. He's over-the-top and flamboyant, and his reveiws are a lot of fun.

Here's his review of that wonderful screwball comedy Cinderella story, Midnight :

There's been a lively discussion on another forum about the film, Gypsy. Apparently there's no consensus on the worth of this movie, but here's the Tired Old Queen giving his two cents worth:

In honor of the Maggie Smith thread, here's TOQ on The Prime of Miss Jane Brodie :

In Memory of Julie Harris...

TOQ on The Haunting. Love this movie (and the short story)!

This guy is great. Thanks for posting it here because these are mostly all the same movies we already chew on all day long on these message boards. He's done a live stage version of TOQATM that I'd love to have seen.

DougieB you are so welcome! I would have loved to see the live version too! He's probably the only person I've ever heard talk about Mrs Minver that makes me actually want to see it! LOL

But for today, in honor of Donald O'Connor's birthday, here's TOQ on Singin in the Rain:

Just saw his review of Suddenly Last Summer. There is a thread about the movie here were we have been discussing if the movie offers a negative stereotype of gays. I admit I was kind of disapointed that the review didn't address this.

My take is that film (play) was more negative towards the young and idle rich then it was toward gays. Of course the play could of had the guy exploit young poor girls instead of young poor boys, but than the character that plays the 'bait' wouldn't of been the same (since the rich guy could be his own bait).

Also the punishment the locals give him (death), wasn't because he was gay but because he had exploited non gay boys.

Of course maybe the theme of the movie is that gay men are evil and I'm justing spinning here. This is why I was interested in the Tired Old Queen's review.

I think Hayes does most of his reviews just to be funny and to have a chance to do his impressions of various Divas (like Hepburn), not to get into deep issues. (I don't know much about him in real life, but Im assuming he's gay, since he refers to himself as "Tired Old Queen")

I'm not sure myself what Williams was getting at in writing this. It seems odd, given that he also was gay, that he would write something maligning a gay man. But maybe you're right--it was aimed more at rich people who think they are entitled to use people and then discard them. Or perhaps at dilettantes like Sebastian, who spend their entire lives being "poets" or "artists", but never actually produce anything of substance? Maybe Williams was the victim of someone like that somewhere along the line? (I admit I don;t know a lot about him either--just that he was Southern and gay)

The first time I saw the film, about 10 years ago, I felt the story was making the gay guy out as a monster only because he was gay. But then I did more research and found out that TM was gay. So I really don't think that was his intent.

As for the casting of the film. I wonder why the producer director, Mank, cast Clift. Ok, I'm sure Liz asked him to but did Liz make that a requirement? i.e. Clift is in or I won't do the picture?

To me Clift is only OK in the movie and the weakest of all the players.

Ive read that Liz did indeed demand Clift, but that he had a terrible time getting through it. It's not a very distictive role, to me, not like Hepburn's role or even Taylor's (I can't imagine anyone else in the Hepburn role, as many have said, her voice and delivery are perfect for the florid lines William's puts in the mother's mouth )--but any dramatic actor could have played the doctor.

Here's an interesting take on the film and it's themes/message:

http://www.cinemaqueer.com/review%20pages%202/suddenlylastsummer.html

And, since it's Ingrid Bergman's birthday, I was torn between Spellbound and Notorious and since I like Notorious better, Notorious it is ;)

James--You're welcome. I was interested too. And you know what Hepburn always said:

"Do what interests you and at least one person will be pleased."

No really, I probably would have looked it up anyway. :)

Probably a bit predictable, but here's TOQ on Double Indemnity in honor of Fred MacMurray, one of the most under-appreciated leading men in Classic Hollywood. TOQ ressurects the old story of George Raft turning down important roles, but other than that, it's great:

There have been several threads concerning Hattie McDaniel and her legacy and also Poitier and HIS legacy, so here is TOQ on one of Poitier's first Hollywood films, (and one which deals with racism) No Way Out:

I have never seen this film, but I will defnately be looking for it.