Sign in to follow this  
traceyk65

Tired Old Queen videos

156 posts in this topic

I just took one of those quizzes called "Which 60's screen siren are you?" and I got Audrey Hepburn, which is not at all what I expected (Nor is Audrey a "screen siren", but the quiz apparently included Julie Andrews as well, and the person who wrote it thought Gentlemen Prefer Blondes was a 60's movie, so obviously the person who created it is misinformed ;)  bless their heart)

Anyway, here's TOQ on Funny Face for Audrey:

I discovered Hayes a few years ago.  I love his love and enthusiam for

classic movies.  His reviews are always fun to watch. 

• Like 1

This was a particularly thoughtful appreciation of the movie "Holiday". I love Steve's wit, but I love his ideas as well and I really felt like this one was a personal favorite of his. He was right about Lew Ayers; an Oscar-worthy performance, very subtle in a way it's difficult to do with only drunk scenes to work with. I also loved the captioning. My husband works at home, so I always have to keep the sound low. Thanks for posting these so regularly. It's the most painless film scholarship imaginable.

• Like 1

This was a particularly thoughtful appreciation of the movie "Holiday". I love Steve's wit, but I love his ideas as well and I really felt like this one was a personal favorite of his. He was right about Lew Ayers; an Oscar-worthy performance, very subtle in a way it's difficult to do with only drunk scenes to work with. I also loved the captioning. My husband works at home, so I always have to keep the sound low. Thanks for posting these so regularly. It's the most painless film scholarship imaginable.

I love Lew Ayres in this movie too. He played gently drunk and full of futility and despair all the way through without being over the top or too "in your face" with it.  A subtle and heartbreaking performance..

Seeing Steve do Marilyn is priceless. I adore this movie, especially for the witty script and direction. It's packaged as a Marilyn film these days, but it's really an ensemble film and the one who shines the most for me is Lauren Bacall. Her droll delivery of some really great lines is probably what made her such an obvious choice for "Designing Woman" a few years later.

Seeing Steve do Marilyn is priceless. I adore this movie, especially for the witty script and direction. It's packaged as a Marilyn film these days, but it's really an ensemble film and the one who shines the most for me is Lauren Bacall. Her droll delivery of some really great lines is probably what made her such an obvious choice for "Designing Woman" a few years later.

I love this movie and Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. I like Marilyn paired with a wisecracking partner, in films where she is not the only female. She seemed more grounded, less at loose ends, if that makes sense.  I wonder if she did better on the set in these movies than in movies where she was the main female attraction? Becasue it took some of the pressure off her?

I love this movie and Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. I like Marilyn paired with a wisecracking partner, in films where she is not the only female. She seemed more grounded, less at loose ends, if that makes sense.  I wonder if she did better on the set in these movies than in movies where she was the main female attraction? Becasue it took some of the pressure off her?

Good point. Jane Russell said that Marilyn was inclined to linger in her dressing room partly out of nervousness about walking onto the set alone, so Jane got in the habit of stopping by Marilyn's dressing room, chatting a bit, then saying something like "OK, kid, let's go." and accompanying her to the set. I'm sure Marilyn appreciated it, as well as the fact that Jane supported her in asking for a better dressing room since she was "the blonde" after all. I think you're right about Marilyn working well with other women, such as the scene on the bus with Hope Lange in "Bus Stop" where Cherie opens up about the kind of man she wants and the kind of life. I'll bet it did take off some of the pressure not having to be alluring to men in any given scene. Anyway, keep posting these because every single one of them is good food for thought.