Sign in to follow this  
nsallieharding

What is the first movie you remember seeing as a child?

27 posts in this topic

This will depend on when you were a child of course. I was a child during the 60's and the first movie I remember was a Santa Clause movie. There was a good santa dressed in red and a bad santa in blue or green. The bad santa tried to stop the good one from delivering presents to the good boys and girls. I don't remember the title but that is the first movie I remember.

a movie about a man falling off a bridge.

I think I was about three. I still think I'll recognize the scene someday in a film.

The next film I remember seeing, was with my mother and it was called "Slightly Dangerous" and had Lana Turner as a shop girl I think, who was pretending to be the long lost heiress to some fortune. Robert Young may have been her suitor, not sure.

Fun question and I can't wait to see what films others remember.

Hi All,

The first movie I can remember clearly was Bambi. I remember crawling into my mom's lap and crying at the Civic Center where they would show movies before VHS/DVD. I probably was around five years old. I also remember The Wizard Of OZ. We would watch this movie every Thanksgiving...and still do.

Jalanna

The first movie I remember ever seeing is Dumbo. It was on my parents new big screen TV and VCR. I can remember the indellible image of the momma elephant in "jail" and swinging Dumbo ( Jumbo Jr.) in her trunk singing that heart wrending song "Baby Mine". :(

I remember that movie Iolite. Was it the one with Annette Funicello and Tommy Sands? I just thought Tommy Sands was so cute. He was married to Nancy Sinatra for a time and then just kind of fell off the end of the earth. Think Frank had something to do with that?

The first movie I recall seeing was Battleground. "You had a good wife when you left (LEFT) You had a good wife when you left (LEFT) Sound off (ONE TWO) Sound off (THREE FOUR) Sound off one two three four one two THREE FOUR"

My dad claims it was That Darn Cat in a movie theater, but my earliest theater-film memory is of the beautiful wicked queen in Snow White.

As far as what I viewed on television, The Wizard of Oz is undoubtedly my earliest memory.

The Three Stooges and Snow White. I think that was the title. The one with Carol Heiss the figure skater.

I remember sneaking my bed room door open so I could watch my Mom watch the late show(back then there was only one TV in the house)and there was a late show and the late late show it was "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"1939 with Charles Laughton.I still get excited when he rescues Maureen O'Hara. good stuff

The first one I can remember is Paint Your Wagon, which I saw with my family at a theater in Lemore, California in 1969 or 70. My Dad was stationed there at the time (it's a Navy base) and I was 4 years old. Few other people seem to like that movie. Actually, it's notorious flop, but it was a favorite of my Dad's and mine anyway.

Hi,

Actually, I was rather spoiled as to what a movie was all about as a child since the first two movies that I saw were Hollywood premiers: "Green Dolphin Street" (1947) and "Little Women" (1948).

1) My grandmother and I went to the premier of "Green Dolphin Street as guests of Moyna MacGill, Angela Lansbury's mother. That's where I first met Lana Turner and Lansbury. The movie was long and confusing and boring for me then and also for me years later when I saw it on TV.

2) A few months later, we went to "Little Women", where I first met Mary Astor. We remained long life friends until her death. Mary hated that film and always called it "Smarmy Marmy" but I thought it was good and the only time I've been able to stand June Allyson.

Needless to say, my next movies were not premiers and I missed all the hoopla!!!

Larry

I am 21, so my first "classic" film I saw was when I was about 9 or 10 in the early 1990s. It was House on Haunted Hill and it scared me out of my skin...no pun intended.

On TV, it was "Wizard of Oz." Who can forget those freakin' flyin' monkeys?!

At the theater, actually drive-in, it was something with Robert Stack, and he and his film family were on a ship, and the boiler blew up, and it wiped out their room except for the edges by the walls. And they were clinging to the walls, with this big ol' yawning maw in front of them. To this day, I'm not real ready to get on a ship. (And after watching videos from 9/11, I'm now even more scared than before to fly!)

And, I remember Mom taking me and my sister to "Lawrence of Arabia" at the drive-in (God, was Dad always on TDY?). And all I remember was someone being sucked into quicksand. So, to this day, I'm not a big fan of sand!

I'd have to say it was something by Walt Disney - on the WONDERFUL WORLD OF COLOR - or whatever it was named in the mid-1950's.

I very rarely went to the movies - but do remember seeing road show engagements of THE TEN COMMANDMENTS with my grammar school class as well as BEN HUR. I'll never forget those magnificent Lippizaners that Charlton Heston drove to victory! They were spectacular!

Stanley Baker and Michael Caine in "Zulu" as a kid I remember going to the Drive-in (Those were the days)with my folks. I also think one of the first films I remember was Burt Lancaster in "The Birdman of Alcatraz"

I'm with Erzbet on this one - something on Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color. It was some time in the 60s for me. The whole family sat down, around 7pm or something like that, and watched. Of course, I had to sit a foot from the TV since I was the designated "remote control" back then. We watched that and Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom. What the heck was that goofy guy's name again? Oh yeah! Marlin Perkins! We even made fun of him back then.

Although I'm told I had been to movies before, the first one I actually remember was a reissue of "The Wizard of Oz" some time in the early 1950s. I guess I always remember it because we had a huge theatre in our city that had a second balcony and to this day it's the only time I every remember it being open and sitting up there.

Continuing on, here's another question. What was the first movie you saw by yourself? Mine was "King Richard and the Crusaders", again in the '50s. My Dad walked me to the theatre, bought me popcorn, parked me in a seat and told not move until he came back for me. I'm still waiting. (Just kidding) It was my big adventure that started it all. Thanks Dad.

I remember telling my mom how much I loved gorillas, monkeys and animals and convincing her to let me go see a monkey movie - Gorillas In The Mist by myself. I was probably around 13 or 14 and went to see that in the theater. I remember my mom was hesitant but I eventually got to go. I was so excited because I felt so grown up.

Jalanna