Sign in to follow this  
Wallace Reid

TCM 2014 Night before activities

11 posts in this topic

Hello, with the TCM 2014 festival months away and for some planning starts almost right after attending the last one ( budget reasons) I've been amazed to find that some hotels, motels near the festival are already full or close to it. As we plan ahead and then wait for the calendar to show this years 20th anniversary dates for some of us this is a once and a life time opportunity to attend, that being said we all are usually at the Roosevelt hotel, how about having toast to kick of the festival at one of or (multiple watering holes) along Hollywood Blvd? A great way to meet, network and of course talk classic films, so anyone up for this?

I would be ! Ben M. and Tom Brown did their tour of major classic restaurant venues on camera -- Formosa, Nate 'n Al's, Yamashira's, Musso and Frank Grill, to name a few. It would be nice to visit any of these places as a prelude to the festival.

CinecrazyDC

>Ben M. and Tom Brown did their tour of major classic restaurant venues on camera -- Formosa, Nate 'n Al's, Yamashira's, Musso and Frank Grill, to name a few.

Musso and Frank's is the only one really within walking distance to the Festival zone (ie the Roosevelt or Loewe's).

The others would all require cars or cabs. Yamishiros' is located up on the hill above Hollywood, the Formosa is located west of La Brea Avenue on Santa Monica Blvd and Nate 'n Al's is located in Beverly Hills.

In addition to Musso and Frank's, there is Miceli's Italian Restaurant (great rolls!) on Las Palmas and Boardner's (a terrific old Hollywood bar on Cherokee just below the Blvd.

Both are within walking distance.

The W (you can take the subway to the Vine St exit) has a great tapas bar called Cleo's.

Yes, walking distance to the venues would definitely be preferable. Miceli's, Boardner's, or Cleo's at the W would all be good choices.

CCDC

Well, Musso and Frank's can get pricey quickly while Miceli's and Cleo's might be more affordable. Boardner's used to serve a limited menu but it's been years since I've been there. Since it was rediscovered by hipsters a few years ago, the prices may have gone up.

Guess it will depend on people's budgets!

The review I saw of Musso's was that it is pricey relative to what you get. Guess most of the cost goes for "atmosphere," especially if you want to say you sat in the "Steve McQueen" booth !

Good morning:

Well glad to see we might have something here, I'll be looking to see what else the area has to offer for us, hidden gems, maybe not so well know, all suggestions and idea's are greatly appreciated .

Consider Hollywood Boulevard and Vine Street: It's four corners of a Hollywood hubbub peppered with at least five important things to cover -- perhaps on multiple LA Date Nights (that might even include a show at the nearby Pantages Theatre!).

Cleo as mentioned The Middle Eastern fare at less-than-a-year-old Cleo -- the attractive restaurant inside The Redbury Hotel -- is too easy to swallow. At first, it's just hummus and falafel that you might recognize, but dare your palate to go further. A dip is a must (get the Lebaneh & Feta) -- if only for the warm bread in the bag that's made fresh in Cleo's wood-burning oven. Kebabs of lamb, pork belly and shrimp are just $6, but it's worth it to go big with a roast lamb entree or a seasonal mushroom flatbread.

Cleo, 1717 Vine Street, at Hollywood Boulevard (323-962-1711 or cleorestaurant.com)

Katsuya: LA sushi-****, you know of the strip-mall, original-gangsta Katsuya in the Valley. This Katsuya -- whipped into architectural shape with a Philippe Stark going-out look -- is where Hollywood's Hollywood folk go for Hollywood sushi. It's a big scene -- which is exactly what you wanted! You'll graze over an order of the signature Crispy Rice With Spicy Tuna, of course, and still, your tight LBD won't ever feel too-too tight.

Katsuya, 6300 Hollywood Boulevard, at Vine Street (323-871-8777 or sbe.com/katsuya/hollywood)

Wood & Vine: The intersection's newcomer boasts the sexiest outdoor drinking area not affiliated with a hotel conglomerate. For libations, Wood & Vine offers abundant California-local wines and beers, plus classic, masculine drinks like a Sazerac and a Black Manhattan. Small plates of ingredients sourced locally are terrific for picking at together -- we recommend the potted foie gras and two cheeses all for a mind-boggling $8).

Wood & Vine, 6280 Hollywood Boulevard, at Vine Street (323-334-3360 or woodandvine.com)

Frolic Room: A dive bar! Yes! The drinks are stiff, cheap and straightforward (read: no surprise yuzu stirred in). It's directly adjacent to the aforementioned Pantages Theatre, but it's very rarely packed with Broadway goers; expect a brewing of skeevy regulars and, of course, hipsters. Where to spend your money: The awesome jukebox.

Frolic Room, 6245 Hollywood Boulevard, at Vine Street (323-462-5890)

Bardot: But if you've reserved this LA Date Night to the almost lost art of "clubbin'," then it's Bardot you must go. Though Monday, billed as "School Night!", is our fave night at Bardot (featuring live music and KCRW DJ Chris Douridas), every night at Bardot is a party -- manageable even if you're a grown-up. It's a cavernous, multi-level club, so there's plenty of nooks to hide and make-out, or (do it!) hit the dance floor.

1737 Vine Street, at Hollywood Boulevard (323-462-1307 or bardothollywood.com)

Well if anything we can all toast at the Roosevelt, lets all just have a great time, 20 years Wow TCM now that's entertainment.... Suggestions anyone for just having a time to remember...

A close by good mexican food is 3Dog Cantina. Do you all meet and get together at the festival. I live locally and this is my first year attending. I've done standby previously. None of my friends are interesting in spending the money for this event so going anyway.

WJR, Thanks for all the good tips. I'll try to monitor this thread for any updates. Really looking forward to the whole experience.

With the festival getting closer and we all converge into Hollywood (sounds so cool) meet up, catch up, look at all the history, walk of fame, watch the greatest films ever made, shouldn't we have a toast to all those we've recently lost? I have to say though I never meet or knew them( only through at 1st the old UHF channel) and then well you know the story. Seeing our special celluloid hero's in black and white, color etc., when they leave as strange as this sounds it effects me in away that is hard to explain and as time goes on and more leave us it's a great way I think to let them know we will never forget them.

Call me a sentiment or romantic at heart but that's how I kind of see it. Your thoughts and feedback are always appreciated. See you in April

Cordially

WRJ