Sign in to follow this  
GreatMoviesFan

Greed (1924) what happened?

16 posts in this topic

I recorded this movie today and it was only 2 hours instead of 4. I suppose this is the 'original' edited version without all the still photos, but why would TCM show that one instead?

I was kind of wondering that myself when I first saw the 2 hour running time listed in the Now Playing Guide. But since TCM ran the 4 hour version in 2010 and again just last September, I have a feeling that you'll get a chance to capture the longer one before too long.

The original release ran 462 minutes. OMG, considering the amount of greed now, imagine how long it would run if made today! dead.gif

This is in no way meant to be negative..

I've never seen this film (either version), so I will only say how incredible it seems to me for a film to have 2 hours of still photos. It took me several viewings to get used to the relatively few stills in the restored version of Lost Horizon - I just can't imagine sitting through 2 hours of it. I'd like to try, though. I'm sorry I missed seeing the shortened version.

I did watch the long still version on TCM once. I had to watch it in installments as it was just too much. (Glad I recorded it) I cant imagine sitting through the rough cut. I found a lot of what was cut (particularly the annoying landlady) wasnt really necessary, but it's too bad Stroheim couldnt have been able to somehow make it all work in the end.........

As much as I love a good film, I don't think I could stay with 4 hours of anything.. even if this was all original motion film. I too will have to watch this in installments.

Yeah, its better to record and watch it at your leisure during the winter months (LOL).......

I did watch both versions. I found the use of stills in *Lost Horizon* more disturbing, since it's one of my all time favorite films. As far as *Greed* goes, I sat through the whole film the first time ( the 4 hr version) , but I don't think I could do that again. I was fine with this shortened version.

Did anyone watch *Nanook of the North* last night ? I thought it was filmed beautifully (1922) and I enjoyed it very much. (although the killing of the walrus) was a little tough to take

This sounds like the 2 hour version of Greed that I saw at the Museum of Modern Art theater in New York in 1965. I remember it being promoted at that time as being newly restored, and I first mentioned this version of the film, on this board, in one of my posts in 2006. I prefer this normal, original release-print, all-film version, with no stills and no computer colorization, since Von Stroheim intended this to be a movie and not a slide show.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0015881/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

A plus if you record it is you can FF through the still parts a little as not much happens. (not like you have to look at a still for so long)........So that cuts down on the time. I did that.......

This shortened version did colorize the gold coins and the bird in the cage (also yellow) btw, when I lived in NY I did have the pleasure of seeing a few screenings at MoMA, that was the early '70's.

Yes, the Museum had a lot of good old films to show. I also saw THE GENERAL there for the first time, with a restored print on the big screen.

This article tells about the original and shorter MGM editing of "Greed". Scroll down to the EDITING section:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greed_(film)

>GreatMoviesFan said: First time my mother and I saw this movie, ... we had to watch it installments too so it took 4 nights to see the whole thing.

In putting the cart before the horse, this may have been the very first mini-series :)

I'm just not a big fan of GREED, although I prefer the Hundred and Thirty Minute Studio edit, and probably Carl Davis score to Robert Israel in the extended reconstruction. I was equally surprised though pleased to see them run the Thames Silents version. Hadn't aired in more then a decade.

To me a better example of Von Stoheim's Genius is THE WEDDING MARCH or QUEEN KELLY. Either of those might have been shown instead. TCM has run QUEEN KELLY before, but THE WEDDING MARCH remains elusive from Paramount, even thought they leased Criterion the rights several years ago.