Sign in to follow this  
CaveGirl

Re: Male Noir Fans

28 posts in this topic

Doing research on this pressing subject matter.

Anyone here think that male noir fans are always like their filmic counterparts in being wussy?

Just curious.

All the woman noir fans I know are dominant forces to contend with and the male noir fans are...well, not.

Prove me wrong. I can take it...

Please don't be personally offended if you are a male noir fan. Mayhaps you are that very rara avis who breaks the mold.

Are these wussy male noir fans married to those dominant female noir fans? If yes, that could explain why they are wussy. i.e. women that wish to control often end up with wussy men. Martha Ivers is a great example of that!

As for male noir fans in general? Well the few I know (that are not on this forum), range from wussy to alpha male so I don't see a pattern.

I assume the many male noir fans here, including me, will say we are not wussy. But hey, how does one know for sure!

Hmm, I haven't found that to be the case.

In fact, I see any film noir fan, male, female, or transgendered (although I'm not acquainted with any of the latter, but I'm sure they exist), as being smarter than the average bear.

And I equate intelligence with non-wussiness.

If I were still dating, I would compose and print out a form for my gentlemen friends to fill out, asking such questions as "What actress in *Kiss Me Deadly* later appeared in a popular 70s sit com?" and "Is Robert Mitchum the ultimate noir protagonist? Discuss."

They'd have to fill it out in front of me, so I could be sure there was no cheating.

If they got a perfect score, I'd go "Now, that's a manly guy !"

Edited by: misswonderly on Sep 21, 2013 8:08 PM

Of course transgendered people exist. I meant, transgendered people who are also film noir afficionados. (afficionadoes? afficionadi?...)

Hey CaveGirl. Do you also think that men who like to read are wusses too? Just Curious. Please define what being a wuss or a nonwuss means to you. Just curious.

Cave Girl wrote:

>Anyone here think that male noir fans are always like their filmic counterparts in being wussy?

Are you really saying that the men in noirs are wussies? Perhaps there are a few, but for the most part, that certainly isn't true. Most are about as macho as they come.

As a male noir fan, I don't think I'm a wussy. I may not be a thick headed loudmouth macho type, but I'm never afraid to assert my own opinions, and I never agree to do something against my will.

I don't know if all male noir fans are wussy or not.

What I do know is that all women that loves those MGM glamor films are gold-diggers.

Hey, this game is fun! (NOT).

Weird original post.

I'm a male noir fan and I don't care what a dames likes other than the press of my lips or a smack across the face,see.

As to male fans they are all small time hustlers compared to Mr.Big.

Except me I'm going to be the guy to replace him,see.

Edited by: Noir_Kiss3 on Sep 22, 2013 11:47 PM

I like your style Miss Wonderly. This is a good test!

Thanks to all for the very interesting answers to my original survey.

I think some took it personally even with my disclaimers.

And roverrocks asks if reading and male noir fans are incompatible concepts.

Uh...elementary my dear Watson.

I've known male noir authors who barely read!

No, I asked you if men who like to read (ie. books either fiction or nonfiction) like myself are"wussies" too. I already know that you think men who are fans of noir movies are mostly "wussies". I am still waiting for you to define "wussiness" and non-"wussiness". That way those of us who like film noir but have never thought ourselves to be "wussies" can redefine/remake/reinvent ourselves so we are either less "wussy" or less obvious to female-kind as "wussies". Many of us NEED your help. PLEASE help us!! I and others are completely dependent on the kindness of strangers!!

I like to make and bake homemade chocolate chip cookies. My wife often has me bring a large batch to her workplace. One of her coworkers (a man, a straight man, a married straight man) proposed to me in jest. Guess I am the ultimate wussy.

I have a similar story; I let my hair grow long. Not too much, just a little shorter than Paul had on the cover of Let It Be. The wife wanted me to get a hair cut. Well we go meet a few of her friends and they all love my longer hair. So I tell my wife I'm going to get my hair cut BUT each time someone comments that they love my hair, I'm not cutting it for 2 more weeks.

Well every week or so we meet other women (friends of my wife or our relatives), and they love my hair style. This goes one for about 6 weeks. My hair is now longer than what Paul had. She really dislikes it now.

Then we go to a party where out of the 50 or so people we know about 4. Well this guy keeps looking at me. I wonder 'do I know him'? Well he comes over and says 'hey, I'm not gay, I'm married,,, but,,, I really love your hair,, way cool man'. I look at the wife and say 'since it was a guy, I'm not getting a hair cut for at least 4 weeks!'.

In answer to your quest to have me define "wussiness" for you, I'll paraphrase the Louis Armstrong quote about jazz wherein he states quite unequivocally that "Man, if you have to ask what jazz is, you'll never know.

Man, if you have to ask what wussiness is, uh..well, you'll never understand it.

I will say it's not about eating quiche which I'm sure even Sean Connery might taste occasionally.

Oh, forgot to mention Roverrocks, that quoting Blanche DuBois from ASND could be suspect in a wussiness trial.

That "kindness of strangers" bit only works when one is being carted off to the funny farm anyway.

Sincerely Yours, Miss White Wood

Dear HoleInTheHillGirrrl,

I asked what YOUR definitions of male wussinesssss are. I know what mine are. Still haven't heard YOUR definitions of wusinessss. Don't disappoint on this. You are the one who brought up wussy male film noir fans in the first place. Don't make me huff and puff and hold my breath until I turn blue. Pretend you are Wikipedia. Define and explain in small words if need be so the rest of us mere mortals can comprendo. Hello from the funny farm!!!!!!! They have already come to take me away, ah ha!! Wussiness feels so empowering!!

So your running towards the back door with the bogus excuse of it doesn't need to be defined because anyone that isn't a wuss know what it means.

Not backing up one's claim is the true sigh of wussyness.

Hibi wrote:

>If you eat quiche you're wussy..........

A real man will eat anything that doesn't eat him first. But, he probably wouldn't order quiche... :)

Gee, I haven't checked out this thread, and I missed this whole "wussiness" conversation. So many threads, so little time..... My friend, former PA Governor Ed Rendell, is the nation's biggest expert on wussitude. Even the title of his book includes the word...