Sign in to follow this  
Terrence1

"Winchester 73"

10 posts in this topic

I notice that on the Westerns Encore channel they are showing a remake of "Winchester 73" with Tom Tryon and John Saxon. I've never heard of this remake. Has anyone seen it?

I saw it when it aired back in 1967 and though it a poor remake of a great western. Tom Tyron and John Saxon headed the cast. The only thing I found interesting was casting Dan Duryea in it, but not as Waco Johnny Dean Give it a look see, but as for me I'll stick with the original...

I'll bite just to see if John Saxon is as good here as he was in *Posse from Hell* as you don't usually associate him with Westerns. That is if I can stay awake. I've been battling a bronchial infection since last week-end with help from an antibiotic that's slowly turning the tide but keeps me pretty woozy. I'm going to my mother's place next Wednesday and want this cleared up by then.

Wouldbestar, I hope you're feeling better soon. It's no fun being sick. Let me know if you manage to see the movie. Even though it won't be as great as the original, I'm still looking forward to it.

Okay, if you've never seen the original this was all right if only to get the chance to see so many Western actors pop up throughout the movie. And if you don't have any iota who Drew's dad was you now had the opportunity to find out. What a waste he made of his charm and talent!

This story took so many twists from the first one it's hardly a remake. It was only a few minutes longer than that one but seemed longer and that's not a complement. I'm also not implying that the actors didn't care or try but the spark of 1951 was not evident in 1967. I would have thought since director Herchel Daugherty learned his craft working on production crews for films like *Mildred Pierce* and Universal TV Westerns he would have been able to better pull this off. Oh,right, this was a TV movie, you could tell by the way the music stopped every ten minutes or so to slip in a commerical.

I made it through but doubt I'll try again.

It is no contest when comparing this film to the James Stewart original which is a great western. Still when one looks at the cast in this "remake" it seems worth checking out. Unfortunately this film was Dan Duryea's swan song, he passed away soon after doing this. And he was a very good character actor, his work in the original film was one of his personal best.

Thank you or letting me know this was Dan's last piece of work. After so many vilianous roles-marvelous that they were-it let him go out as the nice guy he was in real life.

Barbara Luna's hair-very 1960's rather than 1860's-was similar to Raquel Welch's in Bandalero as well as those red nails of Raquel's that stayed perfect after weeks on the run. This showed how far U-I and Fox, especially U-I, had strayed from those little films of the 50's made on the cheap but with compelling stories, beautiful color scenery, good acting and attempts to look accurate. This is what I found so sad; an enjoyable era was now gone.

Please don't misunderstand me, maybe I was careless with my words. Dan Duryea was a busy guy right until the end of his life, He passed away about a year after the Winchester remake, and he did several other roles in that time. Hard to believe he was only 61 years old at his death, he had been in so many films for so long (like the Bogart wartime film "Sahara").

I saw it listed and thinking it was th original, started to watch it, but once I discovered it wasn't, I didn't bother. If it's like most of the other films shown on any of the Encore channels, it will be repeated many times over so you can judge for yourself.

Since my childhood I love westerns, because they are literally full of unreal atmosphere, a sharp plot that captures any thrillers. The best Westerns were filmed in the 1960s and “Winchester 63” is one of the most noteworthy for me. But on the Internet it is difficult to find them because they are all old and basically they are looked only by true connoisseurs of the genre. This film I found on https://bestsimilar.com/movies/57308-winchester-73 and here   http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043137/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2  I found “Broken Arrows” another legendary western