Sign in to follow this  
Kid Dabb

The Unholy Three (1925)

5 posts in this topic

I haven't seen this one yet and it's very unlikely I'll see it tonight since it will be on at 3:30 AM EDT. Reading the synopsis, this is a silent film with one of it's main characters (Lon Chaney) playing a ventriloquist. On the surface this seems odd; how does a ventriloquist function in a silent film? Oh, I can hear the comebacks on that one.. "Very well in this one." LOL! :)

Seriously, though...

It works very effectively. I don't know if you have seen Chaney's talkie remake, but what works is the fact that he is using his voice talents (even though we cannot hear them) as well as costume and makeup. Even though we don't hear him speak, he conveys the idea that he is speaking as an old woman while he is masquerading as an old woman. So even though he plays a ventriloquist, it is not really awkward that we can't hear him.

I like both version of the movie i like the 1930 a bit more since its historic value of being the 1st and last film of Lon and being a talkie the book wasn't to bad. it has words that 1917 people said in that time period that are now out of date.

On 10/27/2013 at 11:23 PM, scottman1932 said:

It works very effectively. I don't know if you have seen Chaney's talkie remake, but what works is the fact that he is using his voice talents (even though we cannot hear them) as well as costume and makeup. Even though we don't hear him speak, he conveys the idea that he is speaking as an old woman while he is masquerading as an old woman. So even though he plays a ventriloquist, it is not really awkward that we can't hear him.

There are also some speech bubbles animated in to the movie.

The Unholy Three is actually one of my absolutely favorite Chaney films :) although the concept seems difficult to put across, it works very well (mostly due to Lon Chaney's skill and extraordinary acting). Lon's believable performance really made the film stand out to me. Looking back at many of the plots from his films, they sound ridiculous on paper- circus performers pretending to be armless, mob leaders who want to take over cities in straw hats and steal legs- it sounds crazy, but somehow Chaney's gripping performances pull the movie through and make it a masterpiece.