Sign in to follow this  
badartfilm

Nights of Cabiria

14 posts in this topic

DVR recorder - check. Popcorn - check. Box of tissues - check. I'm all set for another viewing of "Nights of Cabiria" tonight on TCM. It kills me every time I watch it.

Great movie. And although I love its musical remake SWEET CHARITY, I wish it had kept CABIRIA's amazing heart breaking ending. (Not to give anything away) :)

Once one has seen Nights of Cabiria, one can absolutely not imagine any other actress in the role. What a glorious performance.

The first time I saw the film, I had just come in from work and turned on TCM, which is what I always do. I started viewing from the point where she met Oscar. Needless to say, I was riveted to the screen! What an amazing performance...............

Great film, great actress. So rarely does a movie have belly laughs(mambo in the street and in the club) and utter heartbreak(ending).

There's so much to digest in this film I can(and have) watched it over and over. This and Juliet of the Spirits are two of her best performances ever.

La Chiesa della Controriforma condannava Galilei come eretico perch? la diffusione della sua dottrina metteva in discussione l'interpretazione religiosa della Scrittura gi? scossa dalla pretesa dei luterani del libero esame della Bibbia.

My creaky one semester of Italian allows me to understand that Galileo was condemned as heretical for spreading his doctrine in discussing interpretations of scripture--and there I lose it.

But did you find the quote here:

http://pescapelosafanclub.forumfree.it/?t=34049922

or here:

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialogo_sopra_i_due_massimi_sistemi_del_mondo

?

I followed this debate for hundreds of years.

Being a professional journalist, I finally learned the absolute truth, but I also learned that most people can't accept the absolute truth, which is:

Both the Pope and Galileo were wrong. NEITHER the earth NOR the sun is in the center of the universe. :)

The Pope was not a professional astronomer and he was only accepting the commonly accepted scientific theory of that era, which was known as the earth-centered Ptolemaic system. But it turns out that Ptolemy was wrong, and, thus, the Pope was wrong too.

However, it is not mentioned in most modern books that Galileo was also wrong, because he thought the sun was in the center of the universe. So it turns out that NEITHER the earth NOR the sun is in the center of the universe. :)

Galileo's sun-centric theory is not mentioned in most modern history and science books, so as to throw the favor of prejudice against the Pope and toward Galileo.

So, both Galileo and the Pope were wrong. :)

>FCD:

> both Galileo and the Pope were wrong

This is true, Giulietta Masina is the center of the universe. Which means that the center of the universe did not exist until February 22, 1921 (sayeth IMDB). Whether or not it exists now, I have no idea.

Gee, I knew you were an older gentleman, but I never thought it

amounted to centuries.

Though Galileo and the Pope were both wrong, as neither the

earth or the sun is the center of the universe, Galileo still is

one up on the Pope in that the earth revolves around the sun,

not vice versa. Even the Vatican admitted a few years back

that Galileo was not treated very well.

I don't actually find the ending heartbreaking. Sure, she been through hell and back, yet when she's walking down the street with all the young people having fun around her, she seems to have a look on her face that says, to me, that she'll weather this storm, too.