Sign in to follow this  
jellygirl0272

Trivia

1,249 posts in this topic

Harry Morgan (then billed as Henry Morgan) and Cara Williams both appeared in the 1943 movie "Happy Land".  Morgan later appeared in the fifties sitcom "December Bride"  He played Peter Porter, who always talked about his wife, Gladys, but she was never seen.  The spin-off was called "Pete And Gladys".  Cara Williams played Gladys as a sort of Lucy Ricardo type.

Here is an episode featuring guest star Whitney Blake from the "Hazel" show:

You are correct, Starlit.  Both of those films were recently shown on TCM.  As a matter of fact, Tommy Dorsey appeared in a total of five MGM movies in 1943 alone.  The others were Du Barry Was A Lady, I Dood It, and Swing Fever.  Here is a publicity shot for Girl Crazy

1943, Film Title: GIRL CRAZY, Director: NORMAN TAUROG, Studio: MGM, Pictured: TOMMY DORSEY, JUDY GARLAND, MICKEY Stock Photo

Nice work, Star.  You're up next.

Continuing with another Judy Garland related question, right around the time that Judy came to MGM, the studio released a musical with a new song that she would sing in her first radio appearance after being signed and later in two of her movies. 

Name the song, the movie that it was originally in and the two movies in which Judy sang it.

It's "Broadway Rhythm", which was originally in Broadway Melody of 1936 (I think).   Judy also sang this song in Babes in Arms and Presenting Lily Mars.

Thanks, Star. 

Next:  This actress loved to wear bedroom slippers when she was on a movie set.  She didn't just wear them off camera....she wore them during filming.  Even if she had an elegant outfit on, she still wore her bedroom slippers.  Of course, she could only do this if her feet weren't showing in the shot.  To be sure that her slipper-clad feet wouldn't be shown during a particular shot, she would always ask the director, "Is the feet in?"  This became a catchphrase among some of the crew members and actors at the studio. 

What is the name of this actress?

20 hours ago, Terrence1 said:

Just a guess---Marjorie Main?

No, sorry.  The woman in question was an A-list star.  

Hint -- The actress was not a native English speaker, which is why she said, "Is the feet in?" instead of "Are the feet in?"  

On 11/7/2017 at 10:16 PM, starliteyes said:

Greta Garbo?

Yes, that's correct.  Good job, Star.  Your turn.

I remember reading that Churchill once pursued Ethel Barrymore.  Is that the actress that you're thinking of?

Thanks, Star.  I knew that Winston Churchill pursued Ethel Barrymore, but I wasn't sure if he actually asked her to marry him.  I wonder if she regretted her decision after he became Prime Minister.  ???

Next:  This well-known actor was told by a fortune teller that he would die at the age of 33.  He honestly believed that the prediction was true and he was understandably terrified by it.  He took every precaution to keep himself out of harm's way during that time.  He even turned down several roles to further ensure his safety.   

(Good news -- He didn't die at 33.)

What is the name of this actor?

On 11/13/2017 at 5:32 PM, Azure said:

Next:  This well-known actor was told by a fortune teller that he would die at the age of 33.  He honestly believed that the prediction was true and he was understandably terrified by it.  He took every precaution to keep himself out of harm's way during that time.  He even turned down several roles to further ensure his safety.   

(Good news -- He didn't die at 33.)

What is the name of this actor?

Hint -- He was married to a legendary actress.

On 11/18/2017 at 1:04 PM, Terrence1 said:

Taylor and Burton?

Sorry for the delay.  Yes, it was Richard Burton.  Good job, Terrence.  Your turn.