Sign in to follow this  
jellygirl0272

Trivia

1,447 posts in this topic

In May, TCM ran a lot of movie series, most from the thirties and forties.  If you watched, you probably became aware of actors and actresses who played supporting characters in several, if not all, series episodes.  From the following list of characters, can you name the series that they appeared in, as well as the actor or actress most closely associated with the role?

For instance, if the character was Aunt Milly, the answer would be The Hardy Family series and she was played by Sara Haden.

1.  Alvin Fuddle

2.  Commissioner Andy Barnes

3.  The Runt

4.  Molly Byrd

5.  Captain Tweedy

6.  Gahagan

7.  Algy Longworth

8.  Lestrade

9.  Jamison

10.  Phronsie  

Sherlock lives!

The often dense and unsuspecting Inspector Lestrade was played by Dennis Hoey in Universal's Sherlock Holmes series,

Starring Basil Rathbone.

#3 (The Runt) is George E. Stone in the Boston Black-ie movies.

#7 (Algy Longworth) was played by Claud Allister and Reginald Denny in the Bulldog Drummond movies.

We now have three, so far.  The reason that I asked for the actor or actress most closely associated with the character is because in some series, characters are played by more than one actor or actress as the series goes on.  Reginald Denny played Algy in the Bulldog Drummond movies that starred John Howard.  Thanks Princess and Lawrence.  Perhaps someone can solve the rest.

1. Alvin Fuddie played by Danny Mummert in The Blondie series starring Penny Singleton

2. Commissioner Andy Barnes played by Leonard Mudie in the Bomba the Jungle Boy series starring Johnny Sheffield

4. Molly Byrd was played by Alma Kruger in the Dr. Kildare series starring Lew Ayres. She was the head nurse, her scenes with Lionel Barrymore as Dr. Gillespie were great.

6. Gahagan was played by Tom Kennedy in the Torchy Blaine series

9. Hilarious Eric Blore played Jamison, butler and side kick to The Lone Wolf, played by Warren William and later on Gerald Mohr

10. Dorothy Ann Seese played Phronsie in The Five Little Pepper Series starring Edith Fellows ( I LOVE this series)

Very good so far.  Did everyone forget #5 Captain Tweedy?  He was a police captain in three episodes of a four episode series.  Here is his photo.

Image result for frank orth nancy drew movies 

Image result for frank orth actor 

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

Very good so far.  Did everyone forget #5 Captain Tweedy?  He was a police captain in three episodes of a four episode series.  Here is his photo.

Image result for frank orth nancy drew movies 

Image result for frank orth actor 

#5.  Frank Orth played Captain Tweedy in the 3 out of 4 Nancy Drew films. btw Frank Orth also played Mike Ryan, the Cafe owner next to the hospital that the staff hung out in the Dr. Kildare films.

Thanks Miles, that was fun :)

2 actors appeared in many films together, years later one of the actors appeared in 2 films with the other actor's son.

2 Actors, the actor's son's name, name a few of the 6 films the 2 were in together and the 2 films the actor and the other actor's son were in together ???????????????

* edited by me

I'm thinking John Wayne and Ward Bond, who was Wayne's best man at one of his weddings;  Bond was in The Quiet Man, Rio Bravo, The Searchers, among others, with Wayne...Wayne's son Patrick was also in The Searchers, and he and Bond (without dad) were in Mister Roberts....?

25 minutes ago, shutoo said:

I'm thinking John Wayne and Ward Bond, who was Wayne's best man at one of his weddings;  Bond was in The Quiet Man, Rio Bravo, The Searchers, among others, with Wayne...Wayne's son Patrick was also in The Searchers, and he and Bond (without dad) were in Mister Roberts....?

This maybe my fault in the way I phrased the clues. It's a good guess Shutoo and I understand why that would be a reasonable guess but I am thinking of other actors. In my clue I wrote years later the actor and the other actor's son were in 2 films together, also I wrote that the actor that appeared with the son won an Oscar. Ward never got an Oscar. Please don't give up on this one :)

new clue- The 2 actors were in the films together in the 1930's 

The actor who appeared in the 2 films with the son of the other actor, at one time starred in a biopic. A slang term came about because of that biopic and his role in the film

Your last clue did it for me, lavender.  The two actors are Don Ameche and Tyrone Power.  They appeared together in Love Is News, In Old Chicago, Alexander's Ragtime Band, and Ladies in Love.  Don Ameche appeared with Tyrone Power, Jr. in Cocoon and Cocoon:  The Return.

14 hours ago, starliteyes said:

Your last clue did it for me, lavender.  The two actors are Don Ameche and Tyrone Power.  They appeared together in Love Is News, In Old Chicago, Alexander's Ragtime Band, and Ladies in Love.  Don Ameche appeared with Tyrone Power, Jr. in Cocoon and Cocoon:  The Return.

You got all of them Star. I knew that last clue would do it. Smartie, you remembered that Don Ameche played Alexander Graham Bell and the term Ameche was slang for the telephone. We heard Barbara Stanwyck call the phone Ameche in Ball of Fire.

Don Ameche won Best Supporting actor for his performance in Cocoon. Tyrone Power Jr. is gorgeous, just like my heart trob Tyrone Power. Thanks and great work Star, your thread  :)

• Thanks 1

For a scene that required him to go underwater, this actor was given several immunization shots before he could go into the river, which was heavily polluted at the time.  Later he would say that it was the most disgusting thing he ever had to do in a film.

Name the actor and the film.

22 hours ago, starliteyes said:

For a scene that required him to go underwater, this actor was given several immunization shots before he could go into the river, which was heavily polluted at the time.  Later he would say that it was the most disgusting thing he ever had to do in a film.

Name the actor and the film.

Jack Lemmon in Irma La Douce

Thanks Star and that was a great question :)

next

According to Eddie Muller, it's been said that the character of Eve Harrington was based on a well known actress.

Who was he talking about and extra for why the actress has that reputation?

• Thanks 1