Sign in to follow this  
Swithin

TCM Programming Challenge #24: "O Say Can You See"

88 posts in this topic

*TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE #24 -- O Say Can You See!*

Posted: November 1, 2013

*Why?*

In 2006, the first TCM Programming Challenge was created to give people a glimpse into the complexities of the programming process. The challenges continue to allow entrants to exercise their imagination, display their knowledge, and introduce rare classics.

TCM Programming Challenges are neither sponsored nor endorsed by TCM.

*Who?*

Everyone is welcome to create and post a schedule.

Everyone who was a registered member prior to October 1, 2013 will be allowed to vote for their favorite schedule in a separate voting thread after the challenge is closed to entries. The winner has the honor of running the next challenge.

*What?*

Challenge entries are a full week's schedule for TCM beginning at 6am Sunday and running to 6am the next Sunday.

a) Each day's programming begins at approx. 6am (EST).

B) Primetime/Evening begins at 8pm (EST).

c) Feature movies start at x:00, x:15, x:30 or x:45.

d) Short films may start at any time.

e) Cartoons, trailers or short films should fill in between movies so there is never more than 14 minutes of non-scheduled time between feature movies.

f) Time for introductions and closing comments should be allowed for movies in the evenings.

g) The week selected must be in calendar 2014.

Regular TCM features must be included.

a) Star of the Month with four movies in a block on one evening to showcase an actor. The star must have a body of work large enough to allow similar blocks the other weeks in the month. (Feel free to use character actors as SOTM).

a) Silent Sunday Nights is a silent movie which begins at approx. 12am (EST) Sunday night / Monday morning.

B) TCM Imports is a foreign film which begins at approximately 2am (EST) Monday.

c) TCM Underground is a little-known or cult film which begins at approximately 2am (EST) Saturday.

d) The Essentials is an indispensable classic movie which begins at 8pm (EST) Saturday.

Themes are encouraged and may be related to birthdays, anniversaries of historical or cinematic importance, or anything that encourages a grouping of films. Much of the fun of the Challenges comes in creating interesting, thought-provoking, or totally outrageous themes.

Programming notes to explain themes or motives or to provide additional information on selected movies are encouraged and should be in a separate post following the schedule entry.

*Which?*

Movies in the original Turner library are always allowed.

Warner Bros (pre-1948 only):

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0026840/

MGM (pre-1986 only):

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0020206/

RKO (all):

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0041421/

Movies in the Public Domain are always allowed.

http://www.archive.org/details/feature_films

Movies which have been previously shown on TCM are always allowed (P/S).

Other content which has aired on TCM is always allowed. This includes, but is not limited to, Private Screenings, interviews, and documentaries.

For the first time, *Disney-created animated movies will be allowed*, if they fit into your series. Although on the one hand, the Challenge is a realistic exercise in facing the realities of what it is like to be a TCM programmer; on the other hand, it's time, for the purposes of this Challenge, that this major body of work (the Disney animations) should be allowed (but must be used as part of your premiere allowance).

*I am NOT allowing any Barbara Stanwyck movies as part of Challenge #24.*

Disney live-action movies and animated movies created by other studios and whose rights were later acquired by Disney are allowed as previously-shown or as premieres.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Disney_live_action_films

All other theatrical movies are allowed as premieres.

The most commonly used libraries are:

Columbia Pictures

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0071509/

United Artists

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0026841/

Samuel Goldwyn

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0016710/

J. Arthur Rank Film Distributors:

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0027356/

20th Century Fox:

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0000756/

Paramount Pictures

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0023400/

Universal Pictures

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0005073/

British Gaumont Pictures:

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0103050/

*How?*

Show the time, title, year, actor(s), director(s), studio, running time, and any necessary justification.

a) Sample:

5:15 PM King of the Zombies (1941) Dick Purcell, Joan Woodbury, Mantan Moreland, Madame Sul-Te-Wan, Marguerite Whitten. Dir: Jean Yarbrough. Monogram, 67 mins. P/S

i) Running times and studio information may be found in the TCM database or at IMDB.com.

ii) Do not include a synopsis or description of the movie in the schedule.

B) Justifications:

i) Any movie in the original Turner library is free to use without any notation.

ii) P/S for a movie which has been previously shown on TCM.

iii) E or "Exempt" for a movie in Silent Sunday Night, TCM Import, or TCM Underground.

iv) P or "Premiere" for a movie which counts towards the Challenge allowance.

v) PD or "Public Domain" for a movie in the public domain.

c) Please do not use emoticons, pictures, or three exclamation points in a row in either the schedule or the program notes. Doing so seems to confuse the forums software.

*When?*

This challenge officially opens at 12:01am (EST), Sunday, November 3, 2013 and runs through 12:01am (PST), Sunday, December 29, 2013. (I've allowed extra time for the holidays).

A voting thread will be started shortly after the end of the challenge.

*Challenge #24 Requirements*

*O Say Can You See: "The Star-Spangled Banner" at 200*

is the theme of our challenge. This theme has two parts.

In 1814, Francis Scott Key was inspired to write the song that was later named "The Star-Spangled Banner" and that still later became our national anthem. He set his words to the English drinking song, "To Anacreon in Heaven."

1. At least 4 movies in one evening should in some way reflect your personal patriotic view of America. Get personal here -- I'm not necessarily talking about war films, or films about national holidays, or anything like that. Just 4 films that you feel reflect your vision of what America means to you, in a positive sense.

2. Since the Anacreontic Society was an English Society, an additional 4 movies must include a drinking scene in a public place in England -- pub, club, etc. (By English I mean English, not UK, Welsh, Scottish, or Irish, etc.)

You may use up to 10 premieres in this challenge.

Short films do not count toward the limit on premieres when used to fill up to 15 minutes between feature films.

If anyone has questions, PM me. I'll try to help.

Cheers!

Wow, interesting challenge-- we are allowed Disney animation (thanks, btw, always wanted to fit them in), but not allowed Stanwyck films. Veeeery interesting!

Quick questions:

So you are requiring TWO different sets of programming: our view of America AND an English drinking scene, right?

I didn't notice a date restriction. Am I correct we can pick any week from now on?

Also, I have noticed lately that TCM Underground is on Saturday Nights instead of Friday Nights. Should we program it like that?

Hi LP -- thanks for your questions.

Yes, two series of at least 4 films each, one series on "America," the other series with an English drinking scene.

Regarding the week, it is there (although I had to search for it!). The week must be in calendar 2014.

Regarding the TCM Underground, I would say either is ok, as long as the feature is included in the week.

Disney 'toons are ok for a one-time stunt. i wish you would have kept them out and made the Challenge as close to the real thing as possible.

but then again, i've never submitted a Challenge entry.

So, are you really saying NO Barbara Stanwyck in the entire schedule??

What is that all about?

Lydecker

That's right, no BS. Just my challenge-maker's prerogative. It will make it more of a challenge.

Obrienmundy, thank you for being the first, with your wonderful schedule. If you like -- it's not mandatory -- you are welcome to post programming notes in a separate post. See my note from the challenge rules:

"Programming notes to explain themes or motives or to provide additional information on selected movies are encouraged and should be in a separate post following the schedule entry."

As I said, it's not required, but with your love of film and articulate writing style, it would be kind of interesting for the rest of us to read!

You're welcome. No rush. I allotted an extra amount of time for this challenge, because of the holidays.

obrienmundy--

Great schedule! Glad you showed INDOCHINE-- that one needs to be shown. Lots of great tributes to fantastic actors. Gotta say I love showing TEAHOUSE for Brando & MATCHMAKER for Tony Perkins-- two of my favs of both of theirs, both of which are usually overlooked. And tributing TWO great directors is fantastic. Especially love how you blew the wad on the Disney animation! YES! I think it's especially awesome that we chose the same week, especially since mine is nothing like yours-- cool how much flexibility there is with a TCM schedule.

This is a wonderful schedule! I like in particular your tribute to Anthony Perkins as it shows his considerable range.

obrienmundy:

Many things to love about this schedule -- Femme Fatales, Valley of

the Dolls (an inspired choice!) Tales of Asia and SOTM, Betty Grable.

Great job. I am working on my schedule but I will miss all of those Barbara Stanwyck movies I might have included!! Now, if we could have excluded Lawrence Olivier, I would have been totally in to that.

Lydecker

LonesomePolecat:

Glad you love the name Lydecker. It is such an inspired name

(and character.) "I would be sincerely sorry to see my neighbors'

children devoured by wolves . . . " Might be the best movie quote ever.

Lydecker

Swithn wrote:

>That's right, no BS. Just my challenge-maker's prerogative.

OK, call me silly (it may be the cold meds talking) but everytime I read "no BS" I giggle. Just a little...

Very nice schedule BTW Obrien! Interesitng choices on the animation--Snow White and Lady and the Tramp--two firsts--first feature length animated film and first filmed in Cinemascope and Technicolor. And I like the Tales of Asia Category and Femme Fatales.

LOL, Tracey! No BS, but -- the Disney animations are my gifts to you all for the holidays! (I think we can be a little flexible once in a while).

I hope you will not mind clarification of a fine point: What of movies which have not been shown prior to this date but which are scheduled to premiere prior to the date of our entry? I am thinking of a movie such as: *The Ghost and Mrs. Muir* (1947) which I believe has not been shown previously but it is on the March, 2014 schedule. Must we count a movie such as that as a premiere if our schedule is for later than March?

I thank you for excluding Barbara Stanwyck. I love many of her movies and I often include several but her exclusion provides me with a theme. :)

I welcome clarification! I would say that movies on the future TCM schedule may be shown as P/S (for planned to be screened?) and would therefore NOT count as premieres. The rights would have been negotiated, so I think it's ok.

Swithin, I believe that's how we've treated it in the past. If a movie is known to be scheduled, then by the future date of our program challenge entry, it will have been "p/s," previously shown.

This means that *The Ghost and Mrs. Muir* and *Laura* will no longer require the use of premieres.

LP?s Schedule

Week of March 30-April 5, 2014

SOTM: *Franchot Tone*

THE ESSENTIALS: *The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming!* (1966)

SILENT SUNDAY NIGHTS: *The Films of Georges Melies* (1896-1912)

TCM IMPORTS: *Shadow Magic* (2000)

TCM UNDERGROUND: *Iron GIant* (1999)

AMERICA CHALLENGE: A tribute to the National Parks

PREMIERES:

*And Then There Were None* (1945)

*Davy Crockett: King of the Wild Frontier* (1955)

*It?s a Wonderful Life* (1946)

*Raiders of the Lost Ark* (1981)

*Rhythm on the Range* (1936)

*Sleeping Beauty* (1959)

*Tales of Manhattan* (1942)

*Planet of the Apes* (1968)

*What?s so Bad About Feeling Good?* (1968)

*What?s Up, Doc?* (1972)

-------------Sunday March 30, 2014-----------------

*What is JEOPARDY?s 50th Birthday?*

6:00am *What Next, Corporal Hargrove?* (1945) Robert Walker & Keenan Wynn, dir Richard Thorpe 95min (p/s)

7:45am *Who Was That Lady?* (1960) Dean Martin & Tony Curtis, dir George Sidney 115min

9:45am *What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?* (1962) Bette Davis & Joan Crawford, dir Robert Aldrich 134min (p/s)

12:00pm *Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?* (1957) Tony Randall & Jayne Mansfield, dir Frank Tashlin 93min

1:45pm *What?s the Matter With Helen?* (1971) Debbie Reynolds & Shelley Winters, dir Curtis Harrington 101min (p/s)

3:30pm *When?s Your Birthday?* (1937) Joe E Brown & Marian Marsh, dir Harry Beaumont 75min (p/s)

4:45pm *What Price Hollywood?* (1932) Constance Bennett & Lowell Sherman, dir Goerge Cukor 89min (p/s)

6:15pm *What?s Up, Doc?* (1972) Barbra Streisand & Ryan O?Neal, dir Peter Bogdonovich, WB 94min PREMIERE

*It's Magic!*

8:00pm *Houdini* (1953) Tony Curtis & Janet Leigh, dir George Marshall, Paramount 106min (p/s)

10:00pm *Lili* (1953) Leslie Caron & Mel Ferrer, dir Charles Walters MGM 81min (p/s)

11:30pm *SILENT SUNDAY NIGHTS: The Films of Georges Melies* (1896-1912) dir Georges Melies 120min (p/s)

1:30am *TCM IMPORTS: Shadow Magic* (2000) Xia Yu & Jared Harris, dir Ann Hu, COLUMBIA/SONY 115min EXEMPT

3:30am *Bedknobs and Broomsticks* (1971) Angela Lansbury & David Tomlinson, dir Robert Stevenson, Disney, 118min (p/s)

------------Monday March 31, 2014------------------

*The Ad Game*

5:30am *A Face in the Crowd* (1957) Andy Griffith & Walter Matthau, dir Elia Kazan, WB, 125min (p/s)

7:45am *How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying* (1967) Robert Morse & Michele Lee, dir David Swift, UA 122min (p/s)

10:00am *Laura* (1944) Dana Andrews & Gene Tierney, dir Otto Preminger FOX 87min (p/s)

11:30am *It Should Happen to You* (1954) Judy Holliday & Jack Lemmon, dir George Cukor, Columbia 88min (p/s)

1:00pm *The Thrill of it All* (1963) James Garner & Doris Day, dir Norman Jewison MGM 108min (p/s)

3:00pm *Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House* (1948) Cary Grant & Myrna Loy, dir HC Potter RKO 110min (p/s)

5:00pm *Christmas in July* (1940) Dick Powell & Ellen Drew, dir Preston Sturges 68min (p/s)

6:15pm *What?s so Bad About Feeling Good?* (1968) Mary Tyler Moore & George Pappard, dir George Seaton, Universal 94min *PREMIERE*

*SOTM- Franchot Tone*

8:00pm *Five Graves to Cairo* (1943) Franchot Tone & Anne Baxter, dir Billy Wilder, Paramount 97min (p/s)

9:45pm *Mutiny on the Bounty* (1935) Franchot Tone & Clark Gable, dir Frank Lloyd MGM 132min (p/s)

12:00am *Quality Street* (1937) Katharine Hepburn & Franchot Tone, dir George Stevens RKO 83min (p/s)

1:30am *Here Comes the Groom* (1951) Bing Crosby & Franchot Tone, dir. Frank Capra, Paramount, 114 min (p/s)

-----------Tuesday April 1, 2014--------------

*AMERICA CHALLENGE: What America Is to Me*

*A Tribute to the National Park Service*

3:30am SHORT: *The Grand Canyon* (1958) dir James Algar, Disney 29min

4:00am *Shane* (1953) Alan Ladd & Van Heflin, dir George Stevens, Paramount 118min (p/s)

5:30am *The Painted Desert* (1931) William Boyd & Helen Twelcetrees, dir Howard Higgins RKO 79min (p/s)

7:45am *Fort Apache* (1948) Henry Fonda & Shirley Temple, dir John Ford RKO 128min (p/s)

10:00am *The Big Sky* (1952) Kirk Douglas & Dewey Martin, dir Howard Hawks RKO 140min (p/s)

12:30pm *Jeremiah Johnson* (1972) Robert Redford & Will Geer, dir Sydney Pollack WB 108min (p/s)

2:30pm *High Sierra* (1941) Ida Lupino & Humphrey Bogart, dir Raoul Walsh WB 100min (p/s)

4:15pm *Davy Crockett: King of the Wild Frontier* (1955) Fess Parker & Buddy Ebsen, dir Norman Foster, Disney 93min PREMIERE

6:00pm *Planet of the Apes* (1968) Charlton Heston & Kim Hunter, dir Franklin J Schaffner FOX 112min PREMIERE

*75th Anniversary of Cinema?s Greatest Year: The Big Losers of 1939*

8:00pm *Gunga Din* (1939) Cary Grant & Douglas Fairbanks Jr, dir George Stevens RKO 118min (p/s)

10:00pm *The Women* (1939) Joan Crawford & Moira Shearer, dir George Cukor MGM 133min (p/s)

12:15am *Young Mr. Lincoln* (1939) Henry Fonda & Alice Brady, fir John Ford FOX 100min (p/s)

2:00am *Ninotchka* (1939) Greta Garbo & Melvyn Douglas, dir Ernst Lubitsch MGM 111min (p/s)

4:00am *The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex* (1939) Bette David & Errol Flynn, dir Michael Curtiz WB 106min (p/s)

6:00am *Destry Rides Again* (1939) James Stewart & Marlene Dietrich, dir George Marshall, Universal 94min (p/s)

-------------Wednesday April 2, 2014---------------

*Happy 100th Birthday, Alec Guinness*

7:45am *Murder by Death* (1979) Maggie Smith & Alec Guinness, dir Robert Moore, Columbia 95min (p/s)

9:30am *The Man in the White Suit* (1951) Alec Guinness & Joan Greenwood, dir Alexander MacKendrick, Ealing 85min (p/s)

11:00am *A Passage to India* (1984) Peggy Ashcroft & Alec Guinness, dir David Lean, Columbia 164min (p/s)

1:45pm *Captain?s Paradise* (1953) Alec Guinness & Yvonne De Carlo, dir Anthony Kimmins, Ealing 88min (p/s)

3:15pm *The Bridge on the River Kwai* (1957) Alec Guinness & William Holden, dir David Lean, Columbia 163min (p/s)

6:00pm *Kind Hearts and Coronets* (1949) Alec Guinness & Dennis Price, dir Robert Hamer, Ealing 107min (p/s)

*French Directors in English*

8:00pm- Julien Duvivier- *Tales of Manhattan* (1942) Henry Fonda & Edward G Robinson, FOX 118min PREMIERE

10:00pm- Rene Clair- *And Then There Were None* (1945) Walter Huston & Barry Fitzgerald FOX 97min PREMIERE

11:45pm- Jean Renoir- *This Land is Mine* (1943) Charles Laughton & Maureen O?Hara, RKO 103min (p/s)

1:30am- Francois Truffaut- *Fahrenheit 451* (1966) Oskar Werner & Julie Christy, Universal 112min (p/s)

-----------Thursday April 3, 2014-------------

*And They Lived Happily Ever After? Or Did They?*

3:30am *Leave Her to Heaven* (1945) Gene Tierney & Cornel Wilde, dir John M Stahl FOX 110min (p/s)

5:30am *The Palm Beach Story* (1942) Claudette Colbert & Joel McCrea, dir Preston Sturges Paramount 88min (p/s)

7:00am *Platinum Blonde* (1931) Robert Williams & Jean Harlow, dir Frank Capra Columbia 89min (p/s)

8:30am *The Mating Season* (1950) Gene Tierney & Thelma Ritter, dir Mitchell Leisen 102min (p/s)

10:15am SHORT: *So Your Wife Wants to Work* (1956) George O?Hanlon, dir Richard L Bane WB 10min

10:30am *Designing Woman* (1957) Gregory Peck & Lauren Bacall, dir Vincente Minnelli 118min (p/s)

*The 4F Club*

12:30pm *Hail the Conquering Hero* (1944) Eddie Bracken & Ella Raines, dir Preston Sturges, Paramount 101min (p/s)

2:15pm *The Incredible Mr. Limpett* (1964) Don Knotts & Andrew Duggan, dir Arthur Lubin WB 100min (p/s)

4:00pm *The Miracle of Morgan's Creek* (1944) Betty Hutton & Eddie Bracken, dir Preston Sturges Paramount 98min (p/s)

5:45pm *It?s a Wonderful Life* (1946) James Stewart & Donna Reed, dir Frank Capra, RKO 132min PREMIERE

*Soundtrack by the Sons of the Pioneers*

8:00pm *The Searchers* (1956) John Wayne & Ward Bond, dir John Ford WB 119 min (p/s)

10:00pm *Rhythm on the Range* (1936) Bing Crosby & Frances Farmer, dir Norman Taurog, Paramount 87min PREMIERE

11:30pm *Wagon Master* (1950) Ward Bond & Ben Johnson, dir John Ford RKO 86 min (p/s)

1:00am *Sons of the Pioneers* (1942) Roy Rogers & Dale Evans, dir Joseph Kane, Republic 55min (p/s)

2:00am *Rio Grande* (1950) Maureen O?Hara & John Wayne, dir John Ford, Republic 105min (p/s)

---------------FRIDAY APRIL 4, 2014--------------------

*Gold!*

3:45am *The Road to Utopia* (1946) Bing Crosby & Bob Hope, dir Hal Walker, Paramount 90min (p/s)

5:15am SHORT: *Bonanza Bunny* (1959) Mel Blanc, dir Robert McKimson 7min

5:30am *Carmen of the Klondike* (1918) Clara Williams & Herschel Mayall, dir Reginald Barker, dir Public Domain, 75min EXEMPT

6:45am *The Gold Rush* (1925) Charlie Chaplin & Georgia Hale, dir Charles Chaplin UA 69min (p/s)

*Real Court Cases*

8:30am *Boomerang* (1947) Dana Andrews & Jane Wyatt, dir Elia Kazan FOX 89min (p/s)

10:00am *Call Northside 777* (1948) James Stewart & Richard Conte, dir Henry Hathaway FOX 112min (p/s)

12:00pm *The Wrong Man* (1956) Henry Fonda & Vera Miles, dir Alfred Hitchcock WB 106min (p/s)

2:00pm *Anatomy of a Murder* (1959) James Stewart & Lee Remick, dir. Otto Preminger COLUMBIA 161 min (p/s)

4:45pm *Judgment at Nuremberg* (1961) Burt Lancaster & Spencer Tracy, dir Stanley Kramer UA 190min (p/s)

*FRIDAY NIGHT SPOTLIGHT: Disneyland*

*Disneyland Comes To You*

8:00pm *Sleeping Beauty* (1959) Mary Costa & Bill Shirley, dir Clyde Geromini DISNEY 75min PREMIERE

9:15pm *Raiders of the Lost Ark* (1981) Harrison Ford & Karen Allen, dir Stephen Spielberg, Paramount 115min PREMIERE

11:15pm *The African Queen* (1951) Humphrey Bogart & Katharine Hepburn, dir John Huston UA 105min (p/s)

1:00am *Calamity Jane* (1953) Doris Day & Howard Keel, dir David Butler WB 101min (p/s)

2:45am *Swiss Family Robinson* (1960) John Mills & Dorothy Maguire, dir Ken Annakin, Disney 127min (p/s)

5:00am *Who Framed Roger Rabbit* (1988) Bob Hoskins & Joanna Cassidy, dir Robert Zemeckis, Disney 104min (p/s)

6:45am *The Adventures of Mark Twain* (1944) Fredric March & Alexis Smith, dir Irving Rapper WB 131min (p/s)

9:00am *Meet Me in St Louis* (1944) Judy Garland & Margaret O?Brien, dir Vincente Minnelli MGM 113min (p/s)

-----------------SATURDAY APRIL 5, 2014-------------------

*CHALLENGE: English Pubs Throughout History*

11:00am *Oliver!* (1968) Ron Moody & Mark Lester, dir Carol Reed, 154min COLUMBIA (p/s)

1:45pm *Random Harvest* (1942) Greer Garson & Ronald Coleman, dir Mervyn LeRoy MGM 126min (p/s)

4:00pm *Remains of the Day* (1993) Anthony Hopkins & Emma Thompson, dir James Ivory M/I 135min (p/s)

6:15pm *Royal Wedding* (1951) Keenan Wynn & Keenan Wynn, dir Stanley Donen MGM 94min (p/s)

*Cold War ?Commy?-dies*

8:00pm *THE ESSENTIALS: The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming!* (1966) Carl Reiner & Alan Arkin, dir Norman Jewison MGM 126min (p/s)

10:15pm *Dr Strangelove* (1964) Peter Sellers, George C Scott, Sterling Hayden, dir Stanley Kubrick, Columbia 95min (p/s)

12:00am *Silk Stockings* (1957) Fred Astaire & Cyd Charisse, dir Rouben Mamoulian MGM 118min (p/s)

2:00am *TCM UNDERGROUND: The Iron Giant* (1999) Eli Marienthal & Harry Connick Jr, dir Brad Bird WB 86min EXEMPT

3:30am *The Glass Bottom Boat* (1966) Doris Day & Rod Taylor, dir Frank Tashlin MGM 110min (p/s)

5:30am *One, Two, Three* (1961) James Cagney & Arlene Francis, dir Billy Wilder UA 109min (p/s)

LP?s Notes:

*What is JEOPARDY?s 50th Birthday?*

On the 50th anniversary of the very 1st JEOPARDY episode (the current incarnation is in its 30th season this year), I thought it might not be a funny thing to have a tribute of movies with titles that are in the form of a question. This is, after all, the greatest game show ever, IMHO. Plus it?s a nice excuse to show the Bogdonavich tribute to screwball comedies, WHAT?S UP, DOC?

*It's Magic!*

Magic is a fun topic for filmmaking, and it?s always fun to make Silent Sunday Nights and TCM Imports part of the Sunday Night Theme. So here we have a sampling of two traditional theatrical magicians (LILI btw is one of my favorite movies of all time), one magician (Meli?s) who used the camera to make better magic tricks, the first filmmaker in China whose filmmaking was considered magic in itself, and finally a very cheap street magician who meets a witch with real magical powers. SHADOW MAGIC is a great movie, otherwise I?d never show something so recent.

*The Ad Game*

There are so many great movies about advertising I just had to assemble them all in one place. I especially love THE THRILL OF IT ALL in which the Happy Soap Company builds Doris Day a pool without telling her, and James Garner drives right into it. Thanks to these movies we are permanently imprinted with songs and slogans for fictional products, like:

?Vitajex, whatcha do to me/ You fill me with oomph and ecstasy?

?If you ain?t eatin? Wham, you ain?t eatin? ham?

And of course, ?If you can?t sleep at night, it isn?t the coffee, it?s the bunk!?

*SOTM- Franchot Tone*

I was inspired by TCM?s recent SOTM choice of Eleanor Parker to choose a fantastic, prolific actor with a familiar face that most people haven?t actually heard of. This guy is great and needs to be appreciated. Here we have four movies, one a Best Picture winner, made by four top directors with four top co-stars. It?s time to appreciate Franchot Tone.

*AMERICA CHALLENGE: What America Is to Me*

*A Tribute to the National Park Service*

When we were asked to schedule movies that reflect what we love about America, that was easy for me: I love the National Parks most of all (including, of course, National Monuments, State Parks, Tribal Parks, etc). I love that America was the first country to say, ?Hey, this land is gorgeous/interesting/special, so let?s leave it alone, and let?s let everyone visit it.? I grew up going to Yellowstone & Teton and loved them, but never appreciated the parks as much til, first, I toured many NPS sites this summer and, second, the government shut their doors. (BTW, did they ever open them up again?) I love the parks, love that they are ?for the benefit and enjoyment of the people?, and love that we?re protecting them for our future generations. They are what makes America great. Therefore, here are a whole slew of movies filmed in many Parks/Monuments such as Yellowstone, The Petrified Forest, Great Smoky Mountains, Monument Valley, and The Grand Canyon. I especially gotta say that SHANE is a great film to get a good look at the exquisite Tetons, which are in almost every shot.

*75th Anniversary of Cinema?s Greatest Year: The Big Losers of 1939*

2014 marks the 75th Anniversary of 1939, which we hear about a lot. I?m sure TCM will do some kind of tribute to 1939, so I wanted to jump in and do one first. We hear a lot about GWTW and OZ and such, so I just had to list fantastic movies that didn?t earn a single Oscar only because of the incredibly stiff competition that year. Any other year these films would have won the prizes, hence the name The Big Losers of 1939 (sounds like a movie). It starts with GUNGA DIN because that was also filmed in Death Valley, a popular cinematic National Park.

*Happy 100th Birthday, Alec Guinness*

This is the reason I chose this week to begin with?my favorite actor of all time will be celebrating his 100th birthday. I chose many of his great performances with some lesser-known ones, all of which show you what a versatile actor he was?quite the chameleon. Alec was also one of our SUTS actors this year, so I made sure not to repeat any movies shown last August, just for variety (although my favorite, KIND HEARTS AND CORONETS, is the exception because that one movie shows Alec playing 8 characters, all different).

*French Directors in English*

You know you?re a great director when you make a great movie that isn?t even in your first language (maybe that?s why I love Billy Wilder so much). These four movies are made in English by great French directors. Also a great excuse to show the Agatha Christie classic AND THEN THERE WERE NONE, which is far superior (IMHO) to its remake TEN LITTLE INDIANS.

*And They Lived Happily Ever After? Or Did They?*

There are so many romance movies about how people meet and get together, but the real story begins after that. These are all films about, shall we say, newlywed adventures: ironing out the first fight, appeasing the in-laws, learning how to live together, etc. I think that is all much more interesting than ?how we met?, etc, and these filmmakers thought so, too, apparently. I especially love PLATINUM BLONDE because it shows us that you can?t just marry someone and expect them to change later. He should have married Loretta Young to begin with, but then we?d have no movie.

*The 4F Club*

We hear a lot about war heroes, but rarely do we hear about the poor guys who weren?t allowed to fight in WWII because of some physical limitation. My grandfather always resented those WWII guys because his blindness kept him at home. So just for him, here are four movies about characters who were 4F and overshadowed by all the pretty uniforms?one of which wouldn?t admit he wasn?t able to fight (HAIL THE CONQUERING HERO) and instead roamed around and told his family he was fighting in the war.

*Soundtrack by the Sons of the Pioneers*

I can?t even tell you how much I love these guys. I don?t like what is currently known as ?country music?, but I love this kind of music. Hence this tribute with five of the many movies that feature their singing all over the soundtrack. In the case of RHYTHM ON THE RANGE they get to sing with der Bingle himself. Want to see that one!

*Gold!*

Of the many gold rushes, the Yukon is the most interesting to me because it was so far north?you really had to go out of your way for that one. So here are four classics?two silents, one talkie, and a Bugs Bunny short?about the crazy folks who went way up north for gold.

*Real Court Cases*

I was surprised to learn recently that ANATOMY OF A MURDER was based on a real court case. The book is written by someone who was there (either a judge or lawyer, I forget), and used it as a study of justice. Of all these movies based on actual trials I find THE WRONG MAN the most terrifying because it cxould happen to anyone?Fonda plays the honest husband and father whole life is changed because he happened to resemble an actual hold-up guy. Scary stuff.

*FRIDAY NIGHT SPOTLIGHT: Disneyland*

*Disneyland Comes To You*

I noticed TCM has been doing these Friday Night Spotlights, so I thought Disneyland might be an interesting one. I had thought of saving this for a future schedule (one set in 2015 when Disneyland will turn 60 years old), but when we were suddenly allowed to show Disney animated classics, I couldn?t resist. To explain briefly, many attractions at Disneyland are based on classic movies, and not all of them Disney films. For example, Frontierland?s Golden Horseshoe theater is based on the theater in CALAMITY JANE?if you have seen both you can tell they?re the same floorplan. It would be faster if I listed them:

SLEEPING BEAUTY: Sleeping Beauty?s Castle, Fantasyland

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK: The Indiana Jones Ride, Adventureland

THE AFRICAN QUEEN: The Jungle Cruise Ride, Adventureland

CALAMITY JANE: The Golden Horseshoe Theater, Frontierland

SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON: The Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse (now Tarzan?s Treehouse, but it?s still the exact same house, furniture and all, with Tarzan characters added on)

WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT: Toon Town

THE ADVENTURES OF MARK TWAIN: The Mark Twain Riverboat, Frontierland/New Orleans Square

MEET ME IN ST LOUIS: Main Street USA (not the actual inspiration, but both Main Street and the movie were based on the same thing?someone?s Midwest small town childhood in the early 1900s)

Of all the Disney animated classics that inspired Disneyland sites, I chose SLEEPING BEAUTY because of the iconography of the Sleeping Beauty castle (plus it?s my favorite). In short, then, by watching these movies you can experience eight Disneyland attractions without having to go there.

*CHALLENGE: English Pubs Throughout History*

For the second challenge, I picked four movies I love which also have scenes in English Pubs. They show four different time periods: WWI, post-WWII, the early 1950s, and one Dickensian film. OLIVER is the best example with its two extended musical numbers in a seedy pub, one of which is a major plot point with an official drinking song.

*Cold War ?Commy?-dies*

Finally we have a selection of movies that laugh at the Cold War and communism. THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING is my essential because it?s a fantastically underappreciated movie, and one of my all-time favorites. I incorporate TCM UNDERGROUND with a more recent animated film (any excuse to show animation) that has become a cult classic. Fantastic writing makes it one of my favorites.

And that?s all the news from Lake Wobegon. Thanks for reading this far. I love making these schedules. Please, TCM, schedule my premieres sometime. And though this is my first schedule without WHAT A WAY TO GO, please schedule that one anyway.

STATS:

?10s & earler- 2

?20s- 1

?30s- 13

?40s- 23

?50s- 25

?60s- 15

?70s- 5

?80s- 3

?90s & on- 3

--LP

LonesomePolecat, this is a wonderful schedule! I love the twist on Jeopardy theme. A full day of Alec Guinness would be a treat! There are many great movies sprinkled throughout the week. I do hope that TCM steals this schedule! :)