Sign in to follow this  
abudgell

Olivia de Havilland to attend the festival?

5 posts in this topic

It seems like Olivia de Havilland may finally attend the TCM Film Festival!

Plans are afoot for legendary actress Olivia De Havilland, 97, to appear at a 75th anniversary screening of ?Gone With the Wind? at next year?s TCM Classic Film Festival, I can report exclusively.

Turner Classic Movies host Robert Osborne says the festival has been after the two-time Best Actress Oscar winner to appear since it started in 2010. But she?s always insisted they show ?GWTW,? the favorite among her films.

De Havilland received an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actress for the Civil War epic, and is the sole survivor among the principal cast.

The festival today announced that it would be showing ?GWTW,? along with the 3-D version of another film celebrating its 75th anniversary, ?The Wizard Of Oz? at its 2014 edition next April in Hollywood.

?We?ve been trying to work out something with her for years,? says Osborne, who has long been a friend of the actress. ?She has an amazing memory, and she?s the last of those people who were really an integral part of the golden age of films.

?But time is of the essence. She?s 97, and she still maintains a busy schedule in Paris, where she?s lived since the 1950s. We?re hoping it will finally work out for next year, given the anniversary.?

http://nypost.com/2013/10/29/robert-osborne-on-olivia-de-havilland-ocars-and-gravity/

This announcement was posted on Facebook today courtesy of the Olivia deHavilland Fan Club:

"Olivia fans, with TCM making announcements about special guests who will be present at the TCM film festival, we feel this is an appropriate time to announce that we confirmed with Miss. De Havilland's representatives several weeks ago that Miss de Havilland WILL NOT make a personal appearance at the TCM Film festival in 2014."

It does make sense when you think about it. It's a long flight and she is on record as saying it takes her months to recover from the time differences.

So, perhaps, TCM will show clips from her *Private Screenings* interview.

An Update on Olivia's *Private Screenings* Interview and more bad news for Olivia fans-

A TCM staffer announced on Facebook last night that while TCM staff and crew flew to Paris twice to interview Olivia she became ill both times and was unable to do the interview.

She agreed to fly to NYC to do the interview (she and Robert O are best buddies after all and maybe she felt bad about them coming to Paris twice and leaving empty handed) but became ill and was unable to be interviewed.

So, sad to say,it sounds like no *Private Screenings* interview with Olivia has been filmed.

lzcutter, the posting of the notice by a TCM staff member on Facebook fills me with relief for all Olivia's pass holder fans who might be hoping to see an interview with her at the festival. We all wish her well.

Oddly enough, my other thought was that they might somehow beam Olivia in from Paris to interview her at the festival as an addition to the live interview, but this was before I just read your post about what happened with their attempts to interview her in Paris. I also of course wish her well.