Sign in to follow this  
faceinthecrowd

How many times have you seen....?

19 posts in this topic

Gotta be either "It's a Wonderful Life" or "The Wizard of Oz" for me. Probably "Wizard" and 25 times at least.

When *Its A Wonderful Life* was in the public domain it was possible to see that one film a couple of dozen times in one Christmas season. I would usually watch it at least twice, and it was often on PBS stations so no commercials . Now its only on network tv so you have commercials to put up with :(

• Like 1

I watched 'The Magnificent Seven' (1960) for the first time when I was about 13 - that was in 1963. It became my favorite movie and stayed that way for the next 30 years. I've probably seen it about 25-30 times, though not for the past 5 years or so.

I saw VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED, 16 times while in was in theaters. Since 1960, especially with home video, I've seen it, easily more than 100 additional times. THE SOUND OF MUSIC I saw 30 times while it was in theaters, and countless, since. Also, THE BIRDS is probably near the 100 mark, as well. Films I like, I see over and over. There are many more, but they're the top 3.

Kane and Oz are way up there but my highest # is The Thing From Another World (1951). Probably pushed higher by the old Million Dollar Movie on channel 9 in NYC when I was a kid. They ran a movie over & over. It would end and immediately start again. Years later I recieved, as a gift, a colorized version of the movie on disc and my addiction took over again. Probably in the 100's by now.

I probably watched Annie, The Sound of Music (1965) , Pollyanna (1960) , My Fair Lady (1964) each about 25 times between when I was 4 years old and 8 years old. I've only seen The Women (1939) about 6 times in the past two years.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned *North By Northwest* :D

We have to separate this one into two categories--

The times you watched it voluntarily. And the times you watched it because TCM forced you to watch it again and you were too lazy to change the channel.

:)

This is a "toughie", since I've never really thought of keeping a personal "count".

I could at best come up with a list of most frequently seen movies by me, and make a couple, like"classic" and "contemporary"

For instance, I'm not sure how many would count "Woodstock" as "classic", although I certainly would!

But I'll do my best,

I'm with the member who posted KING KONG.  Saw this one a LOT.  Once even making a 40 mile trip to Ann Arbor Michigan and the U-M campus to see it shown on the "big screen".

Then of course, mostly thanks to the long history of TV presentations, THE WIZARD OF OZ.  I STILL set aside a time, once each year, to view my DVD of this long loved film.  AND one I now realized I left off my list of "favorite color musicals" in that other thread.

Plus, it can also be broken down into genre.

I've seen SOME westerns more than others.

Same with gangster movies, or whatever.

But, a general list would be;

A CHRISTMAS CAROL(1951)

DEAD END

CASABLANCA/MALTESE FALCON) they're sort of neck-and-neck)

THE GRAPES OF WRATH

CITIZEN KANE

SHANE

THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES

THE GODFATHER

ON THE WATERFRONT

IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE/ MIRACLE ON 34th STREET(another "neck-and-neck-er)

And of course, with the advent of VHS cassettes and now DVDs, the frequency of many of these listed have climbed considerably.

There are some(or many) missing, but these are far up my list of "The Over 50 Club".

AND the ones that would be more considered "classic" by most.

Sepiatone

While I don't really keep a running tally of how many times I've seen a film, I have seen some films more often that others.  

In fact, I will assign the much contested "classic" label to films that I love to watch again and again.  If I watch a so-called classic, and upon it's finish I have absolutely zero desire to ever see it again, then I would be hard pressed to declare it a classic.  However, I am a sucker for dancing movies and teen comedies, while they may not be declared "classics" in the snooty film world, in my world, they are classics and I will continue to refer to them as such.  

Anyway, without much further ado, here are my "classics" that I can watch again and again without getting tired of the film.

The Long Long Trailer.  I'm not even exaggerating, I've probably seen this film a hundred times.  I love this movie and have seen it so much, I can pretty much recite it word for word.  This is my favorite film and I could watch it over and over.

The Wizard of Oz.  Thanks to its annual re-runs on television for years, I've seen this film many times.  It seems that TWOO isn't shown on TV annually anymore, however, I now have the Blu-Ray version of this film.  I'll have to make sure to get my annual viewing in during the holiday season.  I've probably seen this film at least twenty times, if not thirty. 

Planes, Trains and Automobiles.  This is my family's annual Thanksgiving film.  I never tire of it.  My favorite parts are the "Those Are Not Pillows!" scene, John Candy's rocking out to Ray Charles' "Mess Around" in the car, and Steve Martin's epic profanity laced blowup at the car rental counter at the airport.  

Not really films persay, but A Charlie Brown Christmas, It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, and How the Grinch Stole Christmas cartoons.  I watch them every year at their respective holiday times and I never tire of them.  I've probably seen each cartoon at least 20-30 times.  My favorite part of the Christmas one is when Charlie Brown and Linus visit the crazy Christmas tree farm.  The best parts of the Halloween Charlie Brown episode is Snoopy's epic WWI Red Baron episode and when Sally completely blows up at Linus in the pumpkin patch and demands restitution.  In 'Grinch,' I love when the Grinch makes his costume and when his heart grows three sizes and he gains the strength of ten Grinches, plus two! 

My other annual Christmas movies which I've probably seen at least 10-20 times:

A Christmas Story (Okay, I've probably seen this one closer to 30.  I can recite all the dialogue with this film too.  My favorite part is when Ralphie is trying to decode the Little Orphan Annie message and poor Randy has to go to the bathroom).  

Elf

Love Actually

Nat'l Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

White Christmas

The Muppet Christmas Carol

Holiday Inn

Grumpy Old Men

Then there are my favorite films from the Golden Era that I never tire of watching and have probably seen each at least 10-20 times, maybe more.

Casablanca

Sabrina

Funny Face

Gilda

The Adventures of Robin Hood

Gentleman Jim

All About Eve

Double Indemnity

To Catch a Thief

Singin' in the Rain

Easter Parade

Some Like it Hot

The Apartment

Sunset Blvd

Picnic

Then there are my other favorite films that I never tire of watching and I would declare them my own personal "classics."  I mentioned earlier that I'm a sucker for dancing movies and teen movies.  The best thing is if these teen movies somehow feature some type of competition or bet.  I've seen all these movies multiple times. 

Footloose (1984)

Grease

Xanadu

Dirty Dancing

Clue

The Princess Bride

Summer Rental

10 Things I Hate About You

Pitch Perfect

Mean Girls

Sixteen Candles

Pretty in Pink

Clueless

Bring it On

She's All That

Superbad

Old School

Zoolander

The Brady Bunch Movie & A Very Brady Sequel

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Cry-Baby

The Muppet Movie

The Karate Kid (1984)

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

• Like 1

What movie have you seen the greatest number of times?

And approximately how many times have you seen it?

10? 20? 50?

The movies I have watched from start to end the most often would be The Petrified Forest and The Big Sleep. 

Well, I guess by my moniker you know which is the highest. 

But there are many others I enjoy watching again and are on my shelf or viewed each time it's available for viewing.  I like to rewatch for the details and the story structure and the wonderful clarity of the dialog.

The list would be in the hundreds and I have tried to place them on my Pinterest list (because it's just easier), but I'm an old woman and started earlier than many of you. In no particular order are the ones with dozens of viewings:

• ALL ABOUT EVE
  • THE WOMEN
  • NOW VOYAGER
  • THE LETTER
  • THE BIG SLEEP
  • ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD
  • WIZARD OF OZ 
  • THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES
  • SINCE YOU WENT AWAY
  • HAVE AND HAVE NOT
  • ENCHANTED COTTAGE 
  • FUNNY FACE
  • SABRINA
  • HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE
  • HARVEY
  • THE SPIRIT OF ST. LOUIS
  • RANDOM HARVEST
  • SUMMERTIME
  • THE MORE THE MERRIER
  • ENCHANTMENT
  • THE MAN IN THE GRAY FLANNEL SUIT
  • SHOP AROUND THE CORNER
  • TOVARICH
  • PEOPLE WILL TALK
  • THE FRANK CAPRA MOVIES
  • THE PRESTON STURGES MOVIES

I haven't even reached the newer ones, in which there are another couple dozen. 

Well, my favorite director is Hitchcock--and I'd seen this particular film over 20 times Before I found TCM--but his film I've seen most is;

"North By Northwest"--over 30 viewings.  Others seen over 20 times are;

"The Birds"

"Notorious"

"Rebecca"

"To Catch A Thief"

"Psycho"

"Family Plot" (this is Hitchcock's last film, and a mellow, amusing film to leave as his final work, as compared to 1972's "Frenzy", where the viewer senses anger barely tamped down; technically proficient, but not enjoyable viewing, IMHO).

"Rear Window" (I saw the 1999 limited theatrical re-release of RW--if you missed it in March 2015, see it on the big screen if you get a chance!)

"The Man Who Knew Too Much" (1956 version) 

Film noirs:

"Gilda"

"To Have and Have Not"

"The Big Sleep" 

"Kiss Me Deadly"

MGM Musicals--list limited to those I've seen over 20 times:

"The Wizard of Oz-- (Seen over 35 times)

'Meet Me In St. Louis

Yolanda and the Thief

The Harvey Girls

Good News

Easter Parade

On The Town

In The Good Old Summertime

Annie Get Your Gun

Royal Wedding (TCM showings moved this one over 20--all voluntary)

Singin' in The Rain--(Over 40 viewings--all voluntary)

The Bandwagon--(TCM "Summer of Darkness" showings moved this to 21)

It's Always Fair Weather

Kismet--(I see it every time TCM shows it; love the score, & cast does it justice)

Funny Face--(The Freed Unit moved to Paramount--might as well be an MGM film, IMHO)

Silk Stockings--(I disagree with most/all posters, & think this is one of Cole Porter's best scores, & the cast is exceptionally good)

• Like 3

Wow. I never really kept a personal count either, but the film I've seen most (and is my all time favorite) is Rear Window. Definitely a great film to see on the big screen. If you're in the San Francisco Bay Area, it is playing at Castro Theatre this month as part of the Noir City festival. I know Noir City goes to other cities around the U.S. so be sure to catch a screening of it this year.

• Like 1