Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Retro Trivia

3,035 posts in this topic

Trivia questions about anything, as long as it's pre-1980.

When Ed Koch ran for mayor of NYC in 1977, he was a single man in his '40s who had never been married and had no girlfriend. In order to alleviate "gay whispers", what did his campaign manager do?

With all the trivia threads currently outstanding, there should be one thread where the questions don't have to be specifically film-related. OK, how about if this thread is for trivia questions, pre-1980, that are entertainment-related. They may be in TV, stage, music, or movies..

Try this one-----Who might well have been the first host of the Tonight Show, rather than Steve Allen, had he not died tragically?

Edited by: finance on Nov 26, 2013 9:43 AM

finance, I'm interested in the question you posed, and it is showbiz/entertainment related. My memories go all the way back to images of Allen, and then Parr, hosting the show. (I was very young, and I caught these glimpses in the homes of other children.) I do not have knowledge of anyone being considered ahead of Allen. A couple of attempts at research turned up nothing. I would be interested in knowing the answer.

Hint: He was supposed to be the host of the Tonight Show's predecessor, Broadway Open House, before he was struck by illness.Instead, the far less charismatic Morey Amserdam and Jerry Lester were used as hosts.

Edited by: finance on Nov 26, 2013 3:17 PM

>Try this one-----Who might well have been the first host of the Tonight Show, rather than Steve Allen, had he not died tragically?

Don Hornsby, who died of polio two weeks before the show began.

Let's keep this thread moving. I'm sure Franklin won't mind:

Who is generally considered to have been the first network TV News anchorman, paving the way for Cronkite, Huntley, Brinkley, etc.?