Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Retro Trivia

3,472 posts in this topic

On 6/3/2018 at 9:19 PM, MilesArcher said:

Would it be Lyle Talbot?  He was a very busy actor for many years.  He played neighbor Joe Randolph on "The Adventures Of Ozzie And Harriet" and he played Bob Cummings' friend, Paul Fonda on "The Bob Cummings Show".  He played Commissioner Gordon in the 1949 serial "Batman And Robin", which has been shown on TCM.  He also played Lex Luthor in the 1950 serial "Atom Man vs Superman".  His son Stephen played Beaver's friend Gilbert on "Leave It To Beaver".

Miles, it's your thread

Recently, TCM ran some of the "Rusty" series with Ted Donaldson and a dog named Rusty.  I was reminded that Ted Donaldson was also featured in a radio show that later became a TV series.  When the show went to TV, he could have continued in the role, but turned it down.  The show became quite popular.  What was the show and what character did he play? 

12 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Recently, TCM ran some of the "Rusty" series with Ted Donaldson and a dog named Rusty.  I was reminded that Ted Donaldson was also featured in a radio show that later became a TV series.  When the show went to TV, he could have continued in the role, but turned it down.  The show became quite popular.  What was the show and what character did he play? 

Father Knows Best, the role of Bud, played by Billy Gray on tv and Ted said he regretted turning the role down.

You are correct, Lavender.  When the series moved to TV in 1954, Ted Donaldson didn't want to be a 21 year-old playing a 15 year-old.  Here is the original radio cast.

The initial cast of Father Knows Best, left to right: Norma Nilsson (Kathy), Ted Donaldson (Bud), Robert Young (Jim), Rhoda Williams (Betty), June Whitley (Margaret). 

The initial cast of Father Knows Best, left to right: Norma Jean Nilsson (Kathy), Ted Donaldson (Bud), Robert Young (Jim), Rhoda Williams (Betty), and June Whitley [Taylor] (Margaret).

Only Robert Young and Ted Donaldson stayed with the radio series for it's entire run from 1949 to 1954.

By the way, Jean Vander Pyle, who later was the voice of Wilma Flintstone, was one of the actresses to portray Margaret Anderson.

Good work, Lavender.  You're up next.

Thanks Miles, I watched most of the Rusty movies last week ( most times TCM shows the Rusty series I watch them)

next

In the late 1950's a popular tv commercial for a product mentions a location.  The commercial ran for many years, probably decades. The product really has nothing to do with the location except that the company that makes the product was located there. Product, location mentioned in the commercial and the famous line that mentions the location ???

And the only thing I can think of, probably because that is the only one I ever ate, was Kellogg's Frosted Flakes from Battle Creek Michigan.  Tony The Tiger says: "They're great!"

Sorry Princess, good guess and I understand why you might have guessed that but not only is the location mentioned  but it's mentioned in the first line of the jingle. It's not a cereal, it's a food product that needs to be cooked. That's 3 clues LOL

42 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Sorry Princess, good guess and I understand why you might have guessed that but not only is the location mentioned  but it's mentioned in the first line of the jingle. It's not a cereal, it's a food product that needs to be cooked. That's 3 clues LOL

Oh I used to love this stuff!  Rice-A-Roni, the San Francisco treat...

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

Oh I used to love this stuff!  Rice-A-Roni, the San Francisco treat...

LOL I'm glad I didn't have to use the West Coast or the Cable Cars for clues :D

The commercial for Rice-A- Roni must have been on at least 30 years or more. You can still buy the stuff, it's next to the Near East Pilaf  in the supermarket, I wouldn't touch it now because of all the sodium. Growing up we must have heard that commercial a thousand times LOL. Good work Princess, your thread :)

• Thanks 1

Ok-- Let's go back to the beginning of time.

How many of these guest character actors/actresses from " I Love Lucy" can you identify?

1) The psychiatrist that Ricky hires to cure Lucy of her kleptomania.

2) The new tenants in the apartment house that Lucy suspects are Russian spies.

3) The policeman that Lucy calls to save her from the "Russian spies".

4) The charm school instructor who teaches Lucy and Ethel how to be sophisticated, sexy and alluring.

5) The locksmith who eventually unlocks the handcuffs locking Ricky and Lucy together.

6) The owner of the nightclub where Ricky works, who eventually gives him a raise.

7) A beautiful female neighbor who is trying to help Ricky buy an anniversary gift of pearls for Lucy.

8) A male high school teenager who has a mad crush on Lucy.

9) A local grocer who misconstrues Lucy's interest in him.

10) A society matron who is judging Lucy for entrance into a snobbish club.

Hint: All performers are well known to aficionados of classic film and classic TV.

15 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Ok-- Let's go back to the beginning of time.

How many of these guest character actors/actresses from " I Love Lucy" can you identify?

1) The psychiatrist that Ricky hires to cure Lucy of her kleptomania.

2) The new tenants in the apartment house that Lucy suspects are Russian spies.

3) The policeman that Lucy calls to save her from the "Russian spies".

4) The charm school instructor who teaches Lucy and Ethel how to be sophisticated, sexy and alluring.

5) The locksmith who eventually unlocks the handcuffs locking Ricky and Lucy together.

6) The owner of the nightclub where Ricky works, who eventually gives him a raise.

7) A beautiful female neighbor who is trying to help Ricky buy an anniversary gift of pearls for Lucy.

😎 A male high school teenager who has a mad crush on Lucy.

9) A local grocer who misconstrues Lucy's interest in him.

10) A society matron who is judging Lucy for entrance into a snobbish club.

Hint: All performers are well known to aficionados of classic film and classic TV.

4. Natalie Schafer

5. Will Wright

6. Gale Gordon

8. Richard Crenna

9. Edward Everett Horton

1 minute ago, lavenderblue19 said:

4. Natalie Schafer

6. Gale Gordon

8. Richard Crenna

9. Edward Everett Horton

Lav, so far so good. Keep up the good work!

4,6,8,9 are down.

Next: 1,2,3,5,7, & 10  are still in play.

3 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

5. Will Wright

7. Gloria Blondell ?

5 and 7 are correct--

So that leaves 1,  2, 3 and 10.

Lav, do you have a favorite?

My favorite is #1, You'll see why when you identify it.

1. Joseph Kearns, better known as Mr. Wilson, Dennis the Menace's neighbor

2. Hayden Rorke and K.T. Stevens, who turn out to be actors

3. Allen Jenkins, the Falcon's sidekick, Goldie

10. Florence Bates as Mrs. Pettebone

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, shutoo said:

1. Joseph Kearns, better known as Mr. Wilson, Dennis the Menace's neighbor

2. Hayden Rorke and K.T. Stevens, who turn out to be actors

3. Allen Jenkins, the Falcon's sidekick, Goldie

10. Florence Bates as Mrs. Pettebone

And the psychiatrist Ricky hired to cure Lucy's kleptomania was of course Mr. Wilson/ Joseph Kearns.

All were great character performers.

And Shutoo and Lav are also great performers--Shutoo with 4 & Lav finishing up with 6.

Lav, Now you are the Retro Queen For A Day!

LOL Thanks Princess, too bad there aren't prizes that go along with this title the way they did on that show :D

We haven't done slogans in awhile, here are some, we need the company name or product

1. A Little Dab'll Do Ya

2. Be All You Can Be

3. Betcha Can't Eat Just One

4. Breakfast of Champions

5. ______ Take Me Away

6. Fly The Friendly Skies

7. Think Small

8. It Takes a Licking and Keeps On Ticking

9. Look Ma, No Cavities

10. You Can Always Tell A _____ Girl

5 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

2. Be All You Can Be

5. ______ Take Me Away

7. Think Small

10. You Can Always Tell A _____ Girl

2 = US Army?

5 = Calgon

7 = Volkswagen?

10 = Halo?

• Like 1

Thanks Princess and Lawrence. I figured these were familiar to baby boomers. Princess got there first with 7 answers, Lawrence finished up the remaining 3. All the answers were correct., Good work both of you, your thread Princess.

Merci.

I Still Love Lucy and she had almost as many big movie and TV stars playing themselves on her TV show as she had those splendid character actors and actresses. Desi also produced the hour-long I Love Lucy shows from1957--1960,  with all the original cast members. Your answers can include the original 30 minute shows, as well as the 60 minute specials.

1) Lucy wanted this movie star to autograph a grapefruit. 

2)  Lucy owned a racehorse with this movie star.

3) Lucy hitched a ride with this movie star.

4) Lucy rented her house to this TV star.

5) Lucy ended up in jail with this movie star.

6) Lucy went out on a ledge with this TV star.

7) Lucy thought it was safe to impersonate this movie star, until the movie star actually showed up.

8) Lucy chauffeured this TV star.

9) Lucy danced with this movie star.

10). This TV star slept in Lucy's living room.

* Brownie Point Bonus: Who was your favorite movie star on I Love Lucy & and what did Lucy do to him or her?

18 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Merci.

I Still Love Lucy and she had almost as many big movie and TV stars playing themselves on her TV show as she had those splendid character actors and actresses. Desi also produced the hour-long I Love Lucy shows from1957--1960,  with all the original cast members. Your answers can include the original 30 minute shows, as well as the 60 minute specials.

1) Lucy wanted this movie star to autograph a grapefruit. 

2)  Lucy owned a racehorse with this movie star.

3) Lucy hitched a ride with this movie star.

4) Lucy rented her house to this TV star.

5) Lucy ended up in jail with this movie star.

6) Lucy went out on a ledge with this TV star.

7) Lucy thought it was safe to impersonate this movie star, until the movie star actually showed up.

😎 Lucy chauffeured this TV star.

9) Lucy danced with this movie star.

10). This TV star slept in Lucy's living room.

* Brownie Point Bonus: Who was your favorite movie star on I Love Lucy & and what did Lucy do to him or her?

1. Richard Widmark

2. Betty Grable and Harry James

3. Elsa Lanchester

4. Danny Thomas, Marjorie Lord

5. Tennessee Ernie Ford ? they were all in jail together, but you asked for a movie star, so you're probably looking for a different star

6. George Reeves

7. Harpo Marx

8. Ernie Kovacs

9. Van Johnson

10. Tennessee Ernie Ford

My favorite is the Brown Derby restaurant episode with William Holden.  For 5 and 10 didn't Tenn Ernie Ford do both, was in jail with the Richardos and slept on their couch in NY ?? 

4 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

My favorite is the Brown Derby restaurant episode with William Holden

that's a good one..and I love the look Eve Arden gives Ethel when she asks Arden about her caricature on the wall...

• Like 1