Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Retro Trivia

3,475 posts in this topic

Here are some slang terms that go back to the fifties and earlier.  Can you tell us what they mean?

1.  Achin' for a Breakin'

2.  Back Seat Bingo

3.  Cloud 9

4.  Cooking With Gas

5.  Dreamboat

6.  Flip Your Lid

7.  Ginchiest

8.  Made In The Shade

9.  Necker Knob

10.  Passion Pit

11.  Pile Up Z's

12.  Rag Top

On 10/9/2018 at 12:32 PM, MilesArcher said:

Here are some slang terms that go back to the fifties and earlier.  Can you tell us what they mean?

1.  Achin' for a Breakin'

2.  Back Seat Bingo

3.  Cloud 9

4.  Cooking With Gas

5.  Dreamboat

6.  Flip Your Lid

7.  Ginchiest

8.  Made In The Shade

9.  Necker Knob

10.  Passion Pit

11.  Pile Up Z's

12.  Rag Top

I'll start

1. looking for a fight -  achin for a breakin

2. making out in a car - back seat bingo

3. ecstatic or very happy - cloud 9

5. good looking man - dreamboat

6. really angry - flip your lid

10. making out in a movie theater - passion pit

11. getting sleep - pile up Z's

7) The "ginchiest" comes from my baby heartthrob:

Edd "Kookie" Byrnes of 77 Sunset Strip.

It means you're cool or simply you're the greatest..

And Kookie certainly was both.

4.  in films, it's always 'cookin' with gas', means now you're on the right track

8. made in the shade..means you've got it easy, it's also a Rolling Stones lp that I probably still have in box somewhere...

12. rag top--convertible 

Very good!  We've got everything except "Necker Knob".  It was also called a Suicide Knob.  It was an accessory in a car.  Where do you suppose it was? 

17 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Very good!  We've got everything except "Necker Knob".  It was also called a Suicide Knob.  It was an accessory in a car.  Where do you suppose it was? 

My grandpa had one on his old 1940s car. It was on the steering wheel.

Yes, a Necker Knob was mounted on the steering wheel so that the driver could make turns using one hand.  That allowed his other arm to remain around his sweetie.  Those were the days when cars had bench seats.  It would be difficult with today's cars.

Image result for necker knob 

Image result for necker knob 

They are apparently not illegal and in some cases they may be helpful to some handicapped drivers.

Thanks to Lavender, Princess, and Shutoo for responding.  You're all the "ginchiest" in my book.  Lavender got the most, so she gets the thread.

• Like 2

Thanks Miles and I think you're SWELL, the Bees Knees and the Cat's Pajamas ;)

next

A movie was loosely based the career of a well known classic tv personality. Another film is said to have been partially inspired by the same man. The man and his tv shows ( there were a few) extra for the titles of the 2 films????????????

edited by me

I'm guessing Gene Autry, Rod Serling, Ernie Kovacs, Robert Blake, or one of the early quiz show hosts

17 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

I'm guessing Gene Autry, Rod Serling, Ernie Kovacs, Robert Blake, or one of the early quiz show hosts

Sorry, none of them

He was born in the early 1900's

I remember when the late Robert Osborne talked about "A Face In The Crowd" being loosely based on the life of Arthur Godfrey, who was very much active when that movie was released.  Another movie that was seemingly based on Godfrey was "The Great Man".  In both movies, a well known and much admired folksy TV or radio host had a private persona that was completely different from his public image.  Off the air he was mean and very controlling.  Arthur Godfrey had a radio show for many years.  Throughout the fifties he was extremely busy.  Besides the radio show, he had a daily TV show, "The Arthur Godfrey Show", with guest stars and regulars like the McGuire sisters and Julius La Rosa.  He referred to his cast members as "Little Godfreys".   He also had a weekly nighttime show, "Arthur Godfrey And Friends", and he hosted "Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts" on prime time network TV.  In the early sixties he co-hosted "Candid Camera" for a season or two.

Here is an episode of his variety show from 1958.

So, Lavender, do I get that extra credit?  I sure could use it.

Perfect and complete answer Miles. Thanks for posting all the info. and you can have all the extra credit you want. On the one hand, he discovered many talented people and gave them their breaks and the other hand he was a b-----d. He fired Julius LaRosa on the air and that was the beginning of his downfall. Millions of viewers who loved Godfrey turned against him. He was Vengeful and mean according to all the accounts I've read, The Great Man and A Face In The Crowd are the 2 films. Great job Miles, your turn.

Aw man. I know Godfrey well. Its inestimable today, to reckon how huge he was. His red hair, for instance. Famous. One of his show members hosted a radio program for quite some time in my hometown. Many a time I have heard anecdotes from that program.

Thanks, Lav.  Another man had a career that was somewhat similar to Arthiur Godfrey's.  This man was involved in radio shows in the 1940's and in the fifties he hosted his own daily variety show for several years.  When that show was finally cancelled, he had his own weekly prime time variety show.  All the while, he hosted a weekly nighttime game show.  In fact, Arthur Godfrey filled in for him on the game show a few times when he was ill or away.   Who was this versatile and very busy man? 

17 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Lav.  Another man had a career that was somewhat similar to Arthiur Godfrey's.  This man was involved in radio shows in the 1940's and in the fifties he hosted his own daily variety show for several years.  When that show was finally cancelled, he had his own weekly prime time variety show.  All the while, he hosted a weekly nighttime game show.  In fact, Arthur Godfrey filled in for him on the game show a few times when he was ill or away.   Who was this versatile and very busy man? 

First thought would be Garry Moore?

Yes. it's Garry Moore.  It's amazing how many hours a week some of these guys were on the air.  Durward Kirby was his announcer/sidekick for both the daily and weekly shows.  Besides "I've Got a Secret", Garry hosted the syndicated version of "To Tell The Truth", succeeding Bud Collyer.  Garry also helped launch the career of Carol Burnett.  

Related image 

Nice work, Lavender.  The thread is yours.

Thanks Miles :)

Actor and Actress were in a famous film together playing brother and sister. 10 years later, the 2 would star in a tv series together. Actor and Actress, Film and TV Show ????

edited by me

Lavender, were the actor and actress children when they made the movie together?  Could you give us an approximate time frame for the movie?  Thanks.