Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Retro Trivia

4,073 posts in this topic

Thanks Miles, I'll pass to Princess. Since you and I have been going back and forth with Retro, time for someone else to take the thread. Happy Thanksgiving Everyone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This actor started out as a professional drummer.

He ended up being a semi-regular on two of the most successful sitcoms from the 50s- 60s era.

Hint: He's an American with French ethnicity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2018 at 10:55 PM, Princess of Tap said:

This actor started out as a professional drummer.

He ended up being a semi-regular on two of the most successful sitcoms from the 50s- 60s era.

Hint: He's an American with French ethnicity.

Hint number 2-- This actor was often billed by one of his two stage names.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It must be little Ricky himself.  Richard Keith, whose real name was Keith Thibodeaux, played little Ricky on "I Love Lucy" and he also played Opie's friend, Johnny Paul, on "The Andy Griffith Show".  He and Desi Arnaz Jr. became good friends.  Here are Desi Sr. and the boys at a Dodgers game.

Image result for desi arnaz, desi jr, and richard keith at a baseball game

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2018 at 12:11 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Hint number 2-- This actor was often billed by one of his two stage names.

Princess, Miles answered, is his answer correct?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2018 at 11:47 AM, MilesArcher said:

It must be little Ricky himself.  Richard Keith, whose real name was Keith Thibodeaux, played little Ricky on "I Love Lucy" and he also played Opie's friend, Johnny Paul, on "The Andy Griffith Show".  He and Desi Arnaz Jr. became good friends.  Here are Desi Sr. and the boys at a Dodgers game.

Image result for desi arnaz, desi jr, and richard keith at a baseball game

Here is Desi at a ball game with his two favorite little "partners".

 

Miles, this is the kind of question that I truly love doing. And you put in a photo that I've never seen before, so I truly appreciate that.

When Keith came in for the audition as a 5 year- old, Lucy said he was cute,  but wanted to know if he could do anything. LOL

Well, he had been performing professionally with an orchestra, playing the drums, since he was 3 years- old. What made this kid so perfect for the job was the fact that he could play the drums with Desi and looked a great deal like Desi . They both had that Latin background going on-- The Thibodeaux family was Cajun.

But Keith's identity as Little Ricky really confused little Desi in terms of who he was. To be sure little Desi became a great drummer too because he had to make sure that he was at least as good as little Ricky.

The two boys were good friends and actually spent a lot of time together just as cousins, perhaps, would. Unfortunately they both had to see the down side of the Lucy- Desi marriage as well.

My favorite number for Desi and little Ricky is when they join up with another Latin type guy Maurice Chevalier and sing one of his signature songs "Valentine".

Miles, good work!

I pitched  that one right down your alley and I think you enjoyed it as much as I did. You're up--

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Princess.  I sort of recall that number with Maurice Chevalier.  I think it was kind of cute.  Wait a minute!  You can judge for yourself.  Here it is:

 

I'm reminded of the fact that Lucille Ball's children played her children on "Here's Lucy", but they had earlier appeared with their mother on a popular game show.  Can you name the show and the host? 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2018 at 10:25 PM, MilesArcher said:

I'm reminded of the fact that Lucille Ball's children played her children on "Here's Lucy", but they had earlier appeared with their mother on a popular game show.  Can you name the show and the host? 

I saw them on an episode of Password All-Stars..they (the kids) looked terribly uncomfortable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are correct, Shutoo.  The host was Allen Ludden.  Here they are along with Lucy's second husband, Gary Morton.

 

At this stage the kids had not done much TV work.  

Nice going, Shutoo.  You're up next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

which reminds me...how about some I Love Lucy trivia?


1. What was Lucy's middle name?
2. When the Ricardo's and Mertz's bought a diner, what was it's 'dual' name? (bonus points for the name of the diner when they bought it)
3. What was the first name of little Ricky's best friend in Connecticut?
4. What kind of car do they drive to Hollywood?
5. What was the name of Fred's vaudeville act (with a male partner)?
6. Who's name is on the label of Lucy's salad dressing?
7. What was the name of the operetta Lucy wrote for the her woman's club?
8. What was Mrs. Trumble's first name..and what does she feed her cat?
9. What was Cousin Ernie Ford's home town?
10. Over the years, there were two dogs in the Ricardo's apartment..what were their names, and who were their owners?
11. What department store sponsored the Ricardo's live breakfast show?
12. Who worked for Joseph's Jewelry?
13. What did Lucy have for lunch at the Brown Derby?
14. What was the name of Lucy's novel?
15. Where were Lucy, Ethel, and Otto employed?
16. What was the book Lucy tosses out the window in an early episode? 
17. Fred and Ricky have to go to Allen's Used Clothing Emporium to retrieve their old sweaters..what is printed (embroidered?) on each sweater?
18. On what occasion do the four see the play "Over the Teacup"?
19. Who are Alice, Phil, Tommy, Jimmy, Mildred, Charles, and Hopalong?
20. What Broadway musical do the Ricardo's and Mertz's leave Connecticut to see..and what songs do we hear (partially) performed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shutoo said:

which reminds me...how about some I Love Lucy trivia?


1. What was Lucy's middle name?
2. When the Ricardo's and Mertz's bought a diner, what was it's 'dual' name? (bonus points for the name of the diner when they bought it)
3. What was the first name of little Ricky's best friend in Connecticut?
4. What kind of car do they drive to Hollywood?
5. What was the name of Fred's vaudeville act (with a male partner)?
6. Who's name is on the label of Lucy's salad dressing?
7. What was the name of the operetta Lucy wrote for the her woman's club?
8. What was Mrs. Trumble's first name..and what does she feed her cat?
9. What was Cousin Ernie Ford's home town?
10. Over the years, there were two dogs in the Ricardo's apartment..what were their names, and who were their owners?
11. What department store sponsored the Ricardo's live breakfast show?
12. Who worked for Joseph's Jewelry?
13. What did Lucy have for lunch at the Brown Derby?
14. What was the name of Lucy's novel?
15. Where were Lucy, Ethel, and Otto employed?
16. What was the book Lucy tosses out the window in an early episode? 
17. Fred and Ricky have to go to Allen's Used Clothing Emporium to retrieve their old sweaters..what is printed (embroidered?) on each sweater?
18. On what occasion do the four see the play "Over the Teacup"?
19. Who are Alice, Phil, Tommy, Jimmy, Mildred, Charles, and Hopalong?
20. What Broadway musical do the Ricardo's and Mertz's leave Connecticut to see..and what songs do we hear (partially) performed?

1. Esmeralda

2. A Little Bit of Cuba

4. Cadillac?

6. Aunt Martha's Old Fashioned Salad Dressing

8. Matilda- All-Pet Cat food

11. Phipps Dept Store

13. Spaghetti and Meatballs

18. Ethel's Birthday

19. Alice and Phil were parakeets, Hopalong was a frog, there were lizards?

20. Most Happy Fella - Standin On the Corner ( love Frank Loesser and this song)

Could do more, but hopefully everyone will jump in

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

1. Esmeralda

2. A Little Bit of Cuba

4. Cadillac?

6. Aunt Martha's Old Fashioned Salad Dressing

8. Matilda- All-Pet Cat food

11. Phipps Dept Store

13. Spaghetti and Meatballs

18. Ethel's Birthday

19. Alice and Phil were parakeets, Hopalong was a frog, there were lizards?

20. Most Happy Fella - Standin On the Corner ( love Frank Loesser and this song)

1. yes..Esmeralda

2. yes..that's half of the"dual name" the diner ended up with when they split it..know the other half?

4. nope..Fred bought an ancient Cadillac, but they actually ended up with another make

6. yes--it was her Aunt Martha's recipe..for some reason, I always liked this episode

8. yes--Matilda Trumble fed her kitty cat All Pet..and that name on a shopping list led to stock speculation

11. yes--and with a Phipps-O-Plate, you could charge your breakfast

13. yes--probably the worst thing to eat in public

18. yes--after Ethel received those mirrored capri's  (it would've been funny if she'd worn them..)

19. You got three right..I think the menagerie was only seen in one episode..anyone know about Tommy, Jimmy, Mildred and Charles? (no lizards..)

20. Yes..I guess Lucy and Desi were major investors in the B'way show..so what better way to promote it?  Parts of the soundtrack are heard during the theatre scenes, and include songs Standing on the Corner, Don't Cry, and Big D

excellent, lavenderblue!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

4) a brand-new Oldsmobile

12) Gloria Blondell, Joan's sister

4. nope

12. right!  Gloria Blondell played neighbor Grace Foster (often mentioned, rarely seen)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found photos of their 1955 Pontiac Star Chief .

Image result for I love lucy car they take to hollywood pontiac starchief 

It looked pretty good before they packed for the trip, but then...

Related image 

 

Here are a few more answers:

3.  Little Ricky became friends with Bruce Ramsay, but his best friend in Connecticut was named Billy Thompson.

5.  Fred's partner was Barney Kurtz.  Their act was "Mertz And Kurtz.

9.  Cousin Ernie Ford was from Bent Fork, Tennessee.

10.  Little Ricky had a dog named Fred.  I don't know of another dog.

17.  On Ricky's sweater, there was a big "H" on the front, and "Universidad de la Habana" on the back.  Fred's sweater said "Golden Gloves: 1909".

19.  Tommy and Jimmy were turtles, Mildred and Charles were fish.

 

Today, November 30th, is Lucy and Desi's wedding anniversary.  They were married November 30, 1940.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Here are a few more answers:

3.  Little Ricky became friends with Bruce Ramsay, but his best friend in Connecticut was named Billy Thompson.

5.  Fred's partner was Barney Kurtz.  Their act was "Mertz And Kurtz.

9.  Cousin Ernie Ford was from Bent Fork, Tennessee.

10.  Little Ricky had a dog named Fred.  I don't know of another dog.3.

17.  On Ricky's sweater, there was a big "H" on the front, and "Universidad de la Habana" on the back.  Fred's sweater said "Golden Gloves: 1909".

19.  Tommy and Jimmy were turtles, Mildred and Charles were fish.

3.  hmm..going to disagree..whenever little Ricky spent the night away from home, it was always with Bruce Ramsey, so I think he was his best friend...whatever...

5.  yes, Mertz and Kurtz (who was played by Charles Winninger)

9.  Bent Fork, TN is right...remember Weensy and Teensy? hehe

10. yes, Little Ricky's dog was Fred...the other dog appeared in the first season, then vanished...anyone remember him?

17.  correct!..this was a toughie

19.  Yes, that completes the names of the 'pets'.

thanks for the pics of the car! 

==============

I think there are six left (well, 4 and two 'halves'..any guesses?

2 (partially), 7, 10 (partially), 14, 15, 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#7  Lucy's operetta was called "The Pleasant Peasant".

#14.  Lucy's novel was "Real Gone With The Wind"

#16.  The book that gets tossed out the window was "The Mockingbird Murder Mystery".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2. A Big Hunk of America- Fred and Ethel's 1/2  - A Little Bit of Cuba- Ricky's and Lucy's 1/2

10. Little Ricky had Fred the dog - Ethel had a dog named Butch

??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

#7  Lucy's operetta was called "The Pthatleasant Peasant".

#14.  Lucy's novel was "Real Gone With The Wind"

#16.  The book that gets tossed out the window was "The Mockingbird Murder Mystery".

7. yes..well, "The Pleasant Peasant".."I am the good king Lancelot..I love to sing and dance a lot..."  pretty catchy...

14.  yes..and it sold by mistake

16.  that's it (I once won a pizza knowing this bit of trivia...)

5 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

2. A Big Hunk of America- Fred and Ethel's 1/2  - A Little Bit of Cuba- Ricky's and Lucy's 1/2

10. Little Ricky had Fred the dog - Ethel had a dog named Butch

??

2. You got it!  When they bought the diner, it was Bill's Place

10. Right!..When Lucy is dieting, Fred feeds their dog Butch under the table..poor Butch disappeared after his brief role.

 

The only one left is 15...and EVERYONE knows this one 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Speed it up, Otto!" Related image

yes, it was actually in Kramer's Kandy Kitchen..the chocolate factory

 

lavenderblue wins the trivia loving cup  Related image wear it in good health!

thanks everyone for playing!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL - Lucy wearing that Lovong Cup on her head I think was one of the funniest shots ever on the show.

There were so many, dozens and dozens and this one definitely rates :D btw, Good job on the questions Shutoo

Thread Open

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us