Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Retro Trivia

4,061 posts in this topic

This critically- acclaimed rock and roll lyricist came from a noted Hollywood family. His mother was a silent movie star. While his father was a famous Hollywood producer and production head, working at three major Studios over a period of three decades.

When you identify the lyricist and his parents, don't forget to mention one of his hits from the 1960s. And for brownie points you can name a couple of movies that his parents participated in.

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

Princess, I think we could use a clue or two.

Hint: His father produced an Elizabeth Taylor movie in the 1950s.

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

Princess, I think we could use a clue or two.

Miles, please look for one of our old pm's and pm me using it. Thanks

On 1/5/2019 at 3:36 PM, Princess of Tap said:

This critically- acclaimed rock and roll lyricist came from a noted Hollywood family. His mother was a silent movie star. While his father was a famous Hollywood producer and production head, working at three major Studios over a period of three decades.

When you identify the lyricist and his parents, don't forget to mention one of his hits from the 1960s. And for brownie points you can name a couple of movies that his parents participated in.

Tony Asher wrote songs for the Beach Boys, Wouldn't It Be Nice, was one of the songs he wrote. Irving Asher, his father produced Blossoms in the Dust, The War Against Mrs. Hadley to name 2 out of tons of films and his mother Laura LaPlante appeared in the Cat and The Canary and Showboat.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Tony Asher wrote songs for the Beach Boys ( Good Vibrations), was one of the songs he wrote. Irving Asher, his father produced Blossoms in the Dust, The War Against Mrs. Hadley to name 2 out of tons of films and his mother Laura LaPlante appeared in the Cat and The Canary and Showboat.

God Only Knows Tony Asher came from a real Hollywood Golden Age background.

And I for one can't thank him enough for his collaboration with Brian Wilson creating "Pet Sounds".

However, Brian did not like Tony's lyrics to "Good Vibrations", so he had to ask his cousin Mike Love to write the ones that we are so familiar with that hit number one.

But Tony wrote all the lyrics for the original songs of "Pet Sounds". " Good Vibrations ", believe it or not, was not on that record.

"Wouldn't It Be Nice" is my favorite song from the album, what's yours?

Lav, a complete and thorough job as usual!  It's all yours.....

Tthanks. Wouldn't It Be Nice is also my favorite and I changed my answer about 15 minutes ago before you answered. Pet Sounds is a great album. I've saved many albums from those years and that's one of them.

Haven't got one at the moment, if someone wants to post one in the meantime that's fine with me.

• Like 1

This handsome actor appeared in an episode of a hit tv drama. Another tv series was created, it was a sort of spin-off of that episode of the first tv show. He had a co-starring role in this 1960's hit tv show. Both shows were created by the same person. Actor and the 2 shows and the guy who created both shows????

In the late fifties and early sixties, Warner Bros. had several private detective shows with young, handsome stars that were popular among young audiences.  One show, "Bourbon Street Beat" featured Richard Long as Rex Randolph and Van Williams as Ken Madison.  When it was cancelled after one season, Richard Long took the Rex Randolph character to "77 Sunset Strip", where he became a regular.  Van Williams took the Ken Madison character to "Surfside 6", relocating from New Orleans to Miami.  Van Williams also guested on an episode of "77 Sunset Strip" as Ken Madison.  "Surfside 6" was Warner's replacement show for "Bourbon Street Beat".

Richard Long Picture Image result for van williams 

Richard Long                                Van Williams

Richard Long later starred in "Nanny And The Professor" and "The Big Valley".

Van Williams later played "The Green Hornet" on TV.

Image result for van williams 

Van Williams as he appeared in "Surfside 6" and "The Green Hornet"

I'm guessing that the shows were created by Roy Huggins.

• Like 1

Miles, thanks for the photos and putting all that work into the question. I was thinking of 2 other shows and another actor. I did write that both shows were hits and Bourbon Street Beat was cancelled after 1 season, however, your answer fit the other criteria so good work and it's your thread :)

ps please pm me using one of our old pm's, thanks

Lavender, I did PM you a few days ago.  I'll try again.  

I'll try to  be back later tonight with a new question.

This question will be like the "Guess Who" thread.  Here are a series of photos of cast members of some old TV shows.  Naming the TV show may be the easiest part.  Can you also name all of the actors and actresses pictured?  Remember, some TV shows changed cast members throughout the run of the show.  These photos are just cast members in a moment of time.  

1.  WINTERS-obit-jumbo.jpg 

2.  250px-Mama_%28TV_series%29_cast.jpg 

3.  Image result for casts of 1950's TV series 

4.   image.jpeg.66b4910197988a630b56873135ac8868.jpeg 

5.  Roaring 20's cast.JPG  

6.  Image result for casts of 1950's TV series 

7.  Related image 

8.  Related image 

9.  Tommy Rettig, Donald Keeler, Jan Clayton, George Cleveland, Lassie, and Pokey 

10.  cleo the talking basset hound | Did you like Cleo, the basset hound, in the Jackie Cooper TV series ... 

If you are too young to remember these folks, show the pictures to an old person.  That's what I had to do.

10)The People's Choice  starring Jackie Cooper, Pat Breslin and Cleo

Eight😎 is Yancy Derringer starring Sally Fields's stepfather, Candice Bergen's mother and Mister X Brands.

Aka-- Jock Mahoney and Frances Bergen

6)the Thin Man starring President Kennedy's brother-in-law and Phyllis Kirk featuring a long-lost relative of the real Asta.

AKA Peter Lawford

5) This one was a personal favorite of mine--

Warner Brothers The Roaring Twenties starring Donald May, Dorothy Provine and Rex Reason. Gary Vinson was also featured.

10 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

This question will be like the "Guess Who" thread.  Here are a series of photos of cast members of some old TV shows.  Naming the TV show may be the easiest part.  Can you also name all of the actors and actresses pictured?  Remember, some TV shows changed cast members throughout the run of the show.  These photos are just cast members in a moment of time.  

2.  250px-Mama_%28TV_series%29_cast.jpg 

3.  Image result for casts of 1950's TV series 

If you are too young to remember these folks, show the pictures to an old person.  That's what I had to do.

Miles, I'm too young to remember 2 &  3.  So I'm going to take  your advice and show them to you! LOL

And by the way:

*4) The hopelessly handsome Gardner McKay in " Adventures in Paradise ".

PS : #3.  I never knew Natalie Wood was on television.

I'm surprised her mother let her sink that low and maybe damage her movie career.

I'm too young to have seen  the show on television, but I know Natalie Wood when I see her and her bracelet.

40 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

PS : #3.  I never knew Natalie Wood was on television.

I recognize Paul Hartman as the older man, (I remember him as Emmett on Mayberry RFD) and Fay Wray as the woman standing, don't know the show or the boy.

32 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I recognize Paul Hartman as the older man, (I remember him as Emmett on Mayberry RFD) and Fay Wray as the woman standing, don't know the show or the boy.

And I recognize the boy as the star of a NBC One-Shot Wonder called "Buckskin".

But I'm sure that Lav has the complete answers for all the rest of them, so we'll hold off for now.

1. Sky King, Gloria Withers and Kirby Grant, don't remember the boy's name

7. Life of Riley, I don't remember the actresses name but she played Babs, William Bendix, Marjorie Reynolds, Wesley Morgan

9 Lassie, Tommy Retting,Jan Clayton, the other kid was Porky or Corky Jeff's friend, George Cleveland ? and the beagle was was Porky's

Miles. I'm not getting the pm's for some reason. Use the most recent one we used Thanks 

Lavender, I PM'd you twice in the last few days using the most recent PM's.  I just now sent you a new one.  My box is 88% full, so they should get through.  Try sending one to me to see if it gets through.

6 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Lavender, I PM'd you twice in the last few days using the most recent PM's.  I just now sent you a new one.  My box is 88% full, so they should get through.  Try sending one to me to see if it gets through.

Miles,

I'm waiting to see my report card.

Sorry for the delay, Princess.  I was checking with my old person.

#1.  The young man in the "Sky King" photo is Ron Hagerthy.  He was a semi-regular on the show playing Penny's cousin and Sky's nephew.

#4.  I knew that Princess and Lavender were big fans of Gardner McKay.  The young lady with him is named Linda Lawson.

#7.  Lugene Sanders played Babs  on "The Life Of Riley".

#8. I just wanted to point out, as Princess stated, that Frances Bergen was the mother of Candice Bergen.  I think that the resemblance is pretty remarkable.

#9.  Donald Keeler played Jeff's friend, Porky, on "Lassie".  His dog is the Bassett Hound named Pokey.  Apparently, Bassett Hounds were popular on 50's TV shows.

#10.  Cleo was a talking Bassett Hound.  Her voice was provided by Mary Jane Croft.

#3 is a show called "The Pride Of The Family"  It was only on for one season.  The premise was much like "The Life Of Riley" with the father, played by Paul Hartman, as very much a bungler.  Strangely, on this show he messes up almost any home repair and later, on "Mayberry RFD", he played a local fix-it man.  Fay Wray as the mother was no longer blonde and she did no screaming.  The boy was played by Robert Hyatt.  He was not the boy in "Buckskin".  That was Tommy Nolan.  The show was indeed the only time that Natalie Wood was a regular cast member in a TV series.  Somehow, Princess recognized her from her bracelet.  Det. McLeod, being a detective, I'm surprised that you didn't investigate a little further.

The other answers are correct.

That leaves us with #2.  It was a family drama that was based on a forties Broadway play, which in turn inspired a late forties movie with Irene Dunne.  

Can anyone come up with it?

Of course, #I is " I Remember Mama". That's obvious from the portrait, but I don't remember or know anything about the show.

Miles, did you actually watch this show on television?

I've never heard of it being on in my lifetime?

Was it syndicated?

4 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Sorry for the delay, Princess.  I was checking with my old person.

#1.  The young man in the "Sky King" photo is Ron Hagerthy.  He was a semi-regular on the show playing Penny's cousin and Sky's nephew.

#4.  I knew that Princess and Lavender were big fans of Gardner McKay.  The young lady with him is named Linda Lawson.

#7.  Lugene Sanders played Babs  on "The Life Of Riley".

#8. I just wanted to point out, as Princess stated, that Frances Bergen was the mother of Candice Bergen.  I think that the resemblance is pretty remarkable.

#9.  Donald Keeler played Jeff's friend, Porky, on "Lassie".  His dog is the Bassett Hound named Pokey.  Apparently, Bassett Hounds were popular on 50's TV shows.

#10.  Cleo was a talking Bassett Hound.  Her voice was provided by Mary Jane Croft.

#3 is a show called "The Pride Of The Family"  It was only on for one season.  The premise was much like "The Life Of Riley" with the father, played by Paul Hartman, as very much a bungler.  Strangely, on this show he messes up almost any home repair and later, on "Mayberry RFD", he played a local fix-it man.  Fay Wray as the mother was no longer blonde and she did no screaming.  The boy was played by Robert Hyatt.  He was not the boy in "Buckskin".  That was Tommy Nolan.  The show was indeed the only time that Natalie Wood was a regular cast member in a TV series.  Somehow, Princess recognized her from her bracelet.  Det. McLeod, being a detective, I'm surprised that you didn't investigate a little further.

The other answers are correct.

That leaves us with #2.  It was a family drama that was based on a forties Broadway play, which in turn inspired a late forties movie with Irene Dunne.  

Can anyone come up with it?

Image result for i remember mama tv show 

The show was actually called "Mama", but many referred to it as "I Remember Mama".  Standing are Judson Laird as the father, Lars, and Peggy Wood as Mama.

Seated are Dick Van Patten as the son, Nels, with Rosemary Rice as the older daughter, Katrin, and Robin Morgan as young Dagmar.

Katrin was the narrator and every week she was looking back through a family album and then the story was told in flashback.  She always closed by saying "And most of all, I remember Mama".

The show was on CBS from 1949 to 1957, so I wasn't watching at the beginning.  Young Patty McCormack joined the cast in the later years as a cousin.  The sponsor, Maxwell House, incorporated their commercials right into the story.  Here is an episode:

Thanks to everyone who participated.  Princess, you get to go next.

This is a two-fold question.

Classic TV of the 50s and 60s was a Bountiful outlet for movie stars from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

#1) Can you name 4 movie stars who became big series TV stars--

not just because they were movie stars--

but also because their husbands were equally talented in promoting them by production, writing, and /or advertising?

#2) Can you name 2 women who had been movie stars in the Golden Age who went behind the camera for some classic TV series and became female Pioneers in TV directing and producing?

When you identify the principals involved, don't forget to also to name at least one Hit TV series that each participated in.

1. The first one that I thought of was Elizabeth Montgomery, who was cast as Samantha in Bewitched thanks to her husband William Asher, who was the initial producer/director

2. Every time I watched Perry Mason, I wondered if the producer Gail Patrick Jackson was the actress Gail Patrick...finally looked it up...it''s her! Of course, Ida Lupino has many directing credits for tv, but I don't think that's who you're thinking of, since she directed films before that period.