Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Retro Trivia

3,971 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, shutoo said:

1. The first one that I thought of was Elizabeth Montgomery, who was cast as Samantha in Bewitched thanks to her husband William Asher, who was the initial producer/director

2. Every time I watched Perry Mason, I wondered if the producer Gail Patrick Jackson was the actress Gail Patrick...finally looked it up...it''s her! Of course, Ida Lupino has many directing credits for tv, but I don't think that's who you're thinking of, since she directed films before that period.

The second part of your answer is spot-on. 

The first one --I'm asking for 4 couples up there.

Elizabeth Montgomery and William Asher certainly are a star couple but Elizabeth Montgomery was never a movie star of Hollywood's Golden Age. But she was the daughter of one Robert Montgomery.

Shutoo-- You're on the right track.

I don't think it'll be very hard for you to find at least one of those couples in a classic TV series from the 50s and/or 60s.

Lucy and Desi are the most obvious couple. Desi was the producer on I Love Lucy. Desilu Productions.  Ozzie Nelson and Harriet Hilliard Nelson. Ozzie was the producer and director for The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet. Harriet Hilliard Nelson was in Golden Age movies. 

Don't forget Doris Day.  Her husband, Marty Melcher, produced most of her movies from the mid-fifties on, as well as her TV series in the sixties.  Also, Eve Arden's husband, Brooks West, produced "The Eve Arden Show" in the late fifties.

LOL I didn't forget, I was just about to post it. Miles are you getting snow there now or tonight? Hasn't started here yet, around 7pm thru tonight and tomw!

3 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

see below

1) I am going to give you a pass on Ozzie and Harriet-- because he was an awfully big man in the classic TV industry, but she was not a big movie star.

2) Lucy & Desi are certainly the template for this answer.

I cannot accept  Doris Day because Farty Belcher screwed up entirely with promoting her in the movies and on TV and we're talking about successful  couples in the 50s and 60s. But I do believe she went to court and got some of her money back. By the way when her husband died, Doris knew nothing about the TV show. It was a surprise to her.

3) Burns and Allen is an excellent answer.

4)  Again I don't think Eve Arden is a big movie star, but she was a star supporting actress.

I had two other Big movie stars actresses in mind-- but I will save them for another day. LOL

So Lav, you got 4 for the first part and Shutoo  got two in the second part.

*Lav, the thread is yours and you brought up some good points with Harriet Nelson and Eve Arden,

even if they weren't the ones I was thinking of. LOL

Thanks Princess. I'd like to pass to Shutoo. We may lose power here due to snow and ice storm. Hopefully we won't but just in case

Shutoo your thread,

3 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks Princess. I'd like to pass to Shutoo. We may lose power here due to snow and ice storm. Hopefully we won't but just in case

Shutoo your thread,

This is our second weekend with a blizzard.

Ours happened last night and I thought we were going to lose power.

It started with rain, then freezing rain went to ice, and then to snow.

Lav, Take care.

21 hours ago, shutoo said:

1. The first one that I thought of was Elizabeth Montgomery, who was cast as Samantha in Bewitched thanks to her husband William Asher, who was the initial producer/director

2. Every time I watched Perry Mason, I wondered if the producer Gail Patrick Jackson was the actress Gail Patrick...finally looked it up...it''s her! Of course, Ida Lupino has many directing credits for tv, but I don't think that's who you're thinking of, since she directed films before that period.

Shutoo--Lav has passed to you.

5 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

This is our second weekend with a blizzard.

Ours happened last night and I thought we were going to lose power.

It started with rain, then freezing rain went to ice, and then to snow.

Lav, Take care.

Thanks Princess, so far so good. LOL Princess, I thought of 2 more for the first part of the question. I had an ah ha and remembered that

Loretta Young, The Loretta Young Show, her husband was Tom Lewis and he was executive producer of Loretta's show

Donna Reed, The Donna Reed Show, Tony Owen her husband was executive producer of the show

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks Princess, so far so good. LOL Princess, I thought of 2 more for the first part of the question. I had an ah ha and remembered that

Loretta Young, The Loretta Young Show, her husband was Tom Lewis and he was executive producer of Loretta's show

Donna Reed, The Donna Reed Show, Tony Owen her husband was executive producer of the show

Lav, sometimes I think you can read my mind. Those two are the ones!

But maybe all of us old Warner Brothers fans think alike anyway. 

Now I should say something like we're the " Ginchiest ", but that would be far too corny. LOL

sorry for the delay...I don't really have anything right now, so I'll leave the thread open

A long running classic tv comedy that starred a well known film character actress, had a popular character, so much so, that a spin-off was created for him. He had been a character actor in many films also. The spin-off was not a big hit but the actor went on to become a very familiar face on tv. The long running tv comedy, the actress who starred in the show, the title of the spin-off and the actor who starred in the spin-off ????

Here's what I think.  The long running TV comedy was "December Bride" and it starred veteran actress Spring Byington.  The title of the spin-off was "Pete And Gladys" and it starred Harry Morgan (once known as Henry Morgan) as Peter Porter, a character from "December Bride".  On the original show, Pete's wife Gladys was never seen, but on "Pete And Gladys" she was played by Cara Williams as sort of a Lucy Ricardo type. 

Image result for spring byington december bride 

Harry Morgan and Spring Byington

Image result for harry morgan  pete and gladys 

Harry Morgan and Cara Williams

Apparently, Harry was quite the dancer. 

Sorry for the delay.  I had to check with my old person about this next question.

As you know, "The Tonight Show" has had several regular hosts over the years.  Since this thread is only about pre-1980 facts, we'll only ask these questions about the first three hosts.

1. Steve Allen 1954-1957

2. Jack Paar  1957-1962

3. Johnny Carson  1962-1992 

Each of these hosts had an announcer/sidekick as well as a band leader.  As a matter of fact, Johnny Carson, who hosted the show for thirty years, had three regular band leaders and one regular substitute band leader.  Can you name all three announcers and all of the band leaders for these hosts? 

Steve Allen's run = Gene Rayburn as announcer, Skitch Henderson as band leader

Jack Paar's run = Franklin Pangborn, then Hugh Downs as announcer, Jose Melis as band leader

Johnny Carson's run = Ed McMahon as announcer, Skitch Henderson, Milton DeLugg, and Doc Severinsen as bandleaders, with Tommy Newsom as fill-in

Very good, Lawrence.  I don't even count Franklin Pangborn.  He was only there a few weeks.  Of course, Gene Rayburn hosted "The Match Game", Hugh Downs hosted "Concentration", and Ed McMahon hosted "Missing Links" and "Snap Judgement".

Lawrence gets the thread..

While I know Match Game and Concentration, I'm not at all familiar with the two Ed McMahon hosted.

Next: A movie released in 1966 featured two former TV stars in the leads. One was the star of a major western series, the other a child star from an iconic sitcom. The film was a moderate success, which led to a short-lived TV series the following year. Only one of the two former big-name TV stars went on to the TV series continuation. There was a third lead in the film, and he also went on to the TV series. This latest fellow was an unlikely teen heartthrob of his time.

Name the film and the TV show of the same name.

Name the two former TV star leads, and which shows they were known for.

And finally name the third actor who became a minor heartthrob.

4 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

While I know Match Game and Concentration, I'm not at all familiar with the two Ed McMahon hosted.

Next: A movie released in 1966 featured two former TV stars in the leads. One was the star of a major western series, the other a child star from an iconic sitcom. The film was a moderate success, which led to a short-lived TV series the following year. Only one of the two former big-name TV stars went on to the TV series continuation. There was a third lead in the film, and he also went on to the TV series. This latest fellow was an unlikely teen heartthrob of his time.

Name the film and the TV show of the same name.

Name the two former TV star leads, and which shows they were known for.

And finally name the third actor who became a minor heartthrob.

Jay North ( Dennis the Menace, the iconic sitcom) and Clint Walker (Cheyenne, the Western tv series) starred in a 1966 movie called Maya. A  short lived tv series Maya based on the film starring Jay North (without Clint Walker) showed up the following year. Can't answer the third part of the question, so I'm taking an unsure guess with Jay and Clint and Maya ??? 

12 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Jay North ( Dennis the Menace, the iconic sitcom) and Clint Walker (Cheyenne, the Western tv series) starred in a 1966 movie called Maya. A  short lived tv series Maya based on the film starring Jay North (without Clint Walker) showed up the following year. Can't answer the third part of the question, so I'm taking an unsure guess with Jay and Clint and Maya ??? 

Good enough for me, lav. That's all correct, and their co-star was a teen Indian actor named Sajid Khan, who Wikipedia claims was a North American teen heartthrob in the late '60's. I have to admit to not recalling him, though.

Your thread!

Lawrence, Sajid was a beautiful boy. And there were hopes that he would become the next Davy Jones, but he and the show never quite caught on.

7 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Good enough for me, lav. That's all correct, and their co-star was a teen Indian actor named Sajid Khan, who Wikipedia claims was a North American teen heartthrob in the late '60's. I have to admit to not recalling him, though.

Your thread!

Lav is still up!

• Like 1