Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Retro Trivia

3,965 posts in this topic

Thanks Lawrence

Producers of a 1960's film wanted to sue the creator of a tv show because they felt the storyline of their film was stolen. Film, tv show and the creator of the tv show ???

I'm thinking it might be "The Brady Bunch", about a blended family.  It was created by Sherwood Schwartz, who created "Gilligan's Island" some years earlier.  In 1968, the movie "Yours, Mine, And Ours" was released.  It also was about a blended family and it involved Lucille Ball, Henry Fonda, and eighteen children.  "The Brady Bunch" had only six kids in the family.  Another possibility is "With Six You Get Eggroll", another blended family comedy with Doris Day and Brian Keith.  This time there were only four kids involved.  It also was released in 1968.

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

I'm thinking it might be "The Brady Bunch", about a blended family.  It was created by Sherwood Schwartz, who created "Gilligan's Island" some years earlier.  In 1968, the movie "Yours, Mine, And Ours" was released.  It also was about a blended family and it involved Lucille Ball, Henry Fonda, and eighteen children.  "The Brady Bunch" had only six kids in the family.  Another possibility is "With Six You Get Eggroll", another blended family comedy with Doris Day and Brian Keith.  This time there were only four kids involved.  It also was released in 1968.

Yes, the producers of Yours, Mine and Ours wanted to sue Sherwood Schwartz because of the Brady Bunch. Schwartz proved that the script outline for the Brady Bunch was written years before Yours, Mine and Ours was made. Good thinking Miles, your thread :)

Another TV series from that same time period had a bit of a blended family premise, but no one was suing over the idea.  The show had been on for a long time without that premise, but then they brought in a widow with a young daughter who would marry the male lead, who was a widower with children of his own.  Guess what, the same thing happened in a 50's sitcom too.  Can you name the two shows and the actors and actresses who played those parents?  

13 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Another TV series from that same time period had a bit of a blended family premise, but no one was suing over the idea.  The show had been on for a long time without that premise, but then they brought in a widow with a young daughter who would marry the male lead, who was a widower with children of his own.  Guess what, the same thing happened in a 50's sitcom too.  Can you name the two shows and the actors and actresses who played those parents?  

.Miles-- 2 of my absolutely favorite shows the Danny Thomas Show AKA Make Room for Daddy and of course my absolute favorite Fred MacMurray's My Three Sons. 

Danny Thomas was married to Marjorie Lord and Fred MacMurray was married to Beverly Garland.

Both actresses had a little girl..

Danny Thomas Show started in the 1950s and Fred MacMurray's show started in the early sixties.  Both series were filmed at Desilu.

You are correct, Princess.  A blended family like "The Brady Bunch" was certainly not unique to TV.  You're up next, Princess. 

This actor was well-known as a popular supporting character performer in the movies.

However, at the same time, he became an extremely popular television comedic actor.

In two popular classic TV series, he played two different professions: one was a teacher and the other was a photographer.

When you identify this actor, also please name one of his popular films and the two TV series referenced above.

2 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

This actor was well-known as a popular supporting character performer in the movies.

However, at the same time, he became an extremely popular television comedic actor.

In two popular classic TV series, he played two different professions: one was a teacher and the other was a photographer.

When you identify this actor, also please name one of his popular films and the two TV series referenced above.

Tony Randall was a teacher on the tv show Mr. Peepers and he played Felix Unger a photographer on The Odd Couple. He had supporting roles in Pillow Talk, Send Me No Flowers and Lover Come Back, just to name a few????? Tony Randall was a talented, funny and by all accounts, a very nice man.

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Tony Randall was a teacher on the tv show Mr. Peepers and he played Felix Unger a photographer on The Odd Couple. He had supporting roles in Pillow Talk, Send Me No Flowers and Lover Come Back, just to name a few????? Tony Randall was a talented, funny and by all accounts, a very nice man.

And by all accounts Tony was a brilliant man. I used to listen to him every Saturday on the live Texaco Metropolitan Opera Broadcast; Tony was the  Supreme Genius of the intermission Opera quiz.

Lav, I actually vaguely remember watching Mr. Peepers, but that was such a long time ago. Do you personally remember that show too?

Lav,  an A+ answer as usual. It's all yours.

Thanks Princess :) I really don't remember watching Mr. Peepers. I was too young when the show was on and don't know if my parents watched the show. It was the photographers clue that made me think of Tony Randall.

next

This guy started out on the radio. He was a character actor in tv shows and films. The tv show he probably was best known for was the voice on an animated series. He was a spokesperson for many products, especially one that most kids loved. He was known for comedy but did have a dramatic role in a very famous, well thought of film. Actor, tv show he's best known for, commercial he's best known for and that dramatic film???? 

2 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks Princess :) I really don't remember watching Mr. Peepers. I was too young when the show was on and don't know if my parents watched the show. It was the photographers clue that made me think of Tony Randall.

next

This guy started out on the radio. He was a character actor in tv shows and films. The tv show he probably was best known for was the voice on an animated series. He was a spokesperson for many products, especially one that most kids loved. He was known for comedy but did have a dramatic role in a very famous, well thought of film. Actor, tv show he's best known for, commercial he's best known for and that dramatic film???? 

The only person I can think of here is Jim Backus. Of course, he was the voice of Mr. Magoo on an animated series, but also it seems like he maintained that character for General Electric light bulb commercials too.

And, believe it or not, it was only about four years ago that I saw him in " Rebel Without a Cause ", playing James Dean's father. The actor who played Thurston Howell III on " Gilligan's Island " could have been one of the greatest character dramatic actors in Hollywood.

27 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

The only person I can think of here is Jim Backus. Of course, he was the voice of Mr. Magoo on an animated series, but also it seems like he maintained that character for General Electric light bulb commercials too.

And, believe it or not, it was only about four years ago that I saw him in " Rebel Without a Cause ", playing James Dean's father. The actor who played Thurston Howell III on " Gilligan's Island " could have been one of the greatest character dramatic actors in Hollywood.

It's a good answer and Jim fits most of the question but GE's light bulb wouldn't be the product kids would especially care about or love. ps I met Jim Backus and his wife in the '70's, very nice.

The film he had his dramatic role in was nominated for multiple Oscars including best actor for the lead actor. This guy played the lead's buddy.

It finally came to me with that last clue.  I think it's Arnold Stang.  He was the voice of Top Cat (known as T.C.) and he did commercials for Chunky candy with the line "What a chunk'a chocolate!".  He played Frank Sinatra's buddy in "The Man With The Golden Arm".

image.jpeg.02c53dce13c0af714b275df7356c3671.jpeg 

I checked with my old person and found that Arnold worked a lot with Milton Berle.  Here they are entertaining sailors.

20 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

It finally came to me with that last clue.  I think it's Arnold Stang.  He was the voice of Top Cat (known as T.C.) and he did commercials for Chunky candy with the line "What a chunk'a chocolate!".  He played Frank Sinatra's buddy in "The Man With The Golden Arm".

image.jpeg.02c53dce13c0af714b275df7356c3671.jpeg 

I checked with my old person and found that Arnold worked a lot with Milton Berle.  Here they are entertaining sailors.

I knew that last clue would do it. Yes, Arnold Stang and yes to Top Cat and yes to the Man With the Golden Arm and YES to Chunky. and What a Chunk of Chocolate. I loved that square of chocolate, raisins and nuts.

Well Miles, you maybe consulting an old person BUT you're old enough to remember Arnold Stang and Chunky LOL. Good remembering, your thread

Here is a list of ranches that were featured in various TV series of the fifties and sixties.  Can you name the TV series associated with each one?

1.  The Flying Crown Ranch

2.  The Bar-20 Ranch

3.  The Broken Wheel Ranch

4.  The Double R Bar Ranch

5.  The Flying A Ranch

6.  The Goose Bar Ranch

7.  The Ponderosa

8.  The Barkley Ranch

9.  The Shiloh Ranch

10.  The Empire Ranch

15 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Here is a list of ranches that were featured in various TV series of the fifties and sixties.  Can you name the TV series associated with each one?

1.  The Flying Crown Ranch

2.  The Bar-20 Ranch

3.  The Broken Wheel Ranch

4.  The Double R Bar Ranch

5.  The Flying A Ranch

6.  The Goose Bar Ranch

7.  The Ponderosa

8.  The Barkley Ranch

9.  The Shiloh Ranch

10.  The Empire Ranch

3, Broken Wheel Ranch - Fury

4. Double R Ranch - Spin and Marty

6. Goose Bar Ranch- My Friend Flicka

7. Ponderosa - Bonanza

8. Barkley Ranch- The Big Valley

9, Shiloh Ranch- The Virginian

You got five out of six, Lavender.  Spin & Marty's ranch was the "Triple R Ranch". 

Related image 

We're looking for "The Double R Bar Ranch".  Who's initials were Double R?  Hmm, I wonder.

By the way, #10 is not a trick question.

Here are some hints and one answer:

#1  The Flying Crown Ranch.  This should be easy to guess.  The show was on Saturdays in the daytime.  The star used a plane to chase bad guys.

#2.  The Bar-20 Ranch.  The star of this show usually wore all black and rode a white horse named Topper.

#5.  The Flying A Ranch.  If Roy Rogers had his initials in the name of his ranch, then what cowboy had a name that started with the letter "A" ?  

#10  The Empire Ranch.  Much like "The High Chaparral", the name of the ranch was the name of the show.  It was an early sixties series that did not last long.  The answer is "Empire".