Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Retro Trivia

4,031 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Here are some hints and one answer:

#1  The Flying Crown Ranch.  This should be easy to guess.  The show was on Saturdays in the daytime.  The star used a plane to chase bad guys.

#2.  The Bar-20 Ranch.  The star of this show usually wore all black and rode a white horse named Topper.

#5.  The Flying A Ranch.  If Roy Rogers had his initials in the name of his ranch, then what cowboy had a name that started with the letter "A" ?  

#10  The Empire Ranch.  Much like "The High Chaparral", the name of the ranch was the name of the show.  It was an early sixties series that did not last long.  The answer is "Empire".

1. Sky King

2. Hopalong Cassidy

5. Gene Autry Show

Very good, Lavender, you got them all.  I probably should have included Spin and Marty's ranch on the original list to avoid confusion.  I'm sorry about that.  By the way, Hopalong Cassidy can currently be seen on Saturday mornings on the Encore Western Channel. 

Well, Lav, you're back in the saddle again!  You get to go next.  

Thanks Miles

A 1960's tv show starred a well known actor. An even better known actor appeared in some of the episodes in the last season playing a relative of the character the star played. Series title and the 2 actors and their character names ?????

This show was in the '60's into the very start of the '70's. The star also had other successful tv shows. The shows were in the '70's and '80's

I'm thinking it might be "It Takes A Thief".  It starred Robert Wagner as Alexander Mundy, a cat burglar employed by the U.S. government as an espionage agent.  It was only on for two years, and in the second season, Fred Astaire appeared in some episodes as Alexander's father, Alistair Mundy.  Wagner's character was probably based on Cary Grant's character in Hitchcock's "To Catch a Thief".  In later years, Wagner had other successful TV series like "Hart To Hart" and "Switch".

Fred Astaire And Robert Wagner In 'It Takes A Thief' : News Photo 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

I'm thinking it might be "It Takes A Thief".  It starred Robert Wagner as Alexander Mundy, a cat burglar employed by the U.S. government as an espionage agent.  It was only on for two years, and in the second season, Fred Astaire appeared in some episodes as Alexander's father, Alistair Mundy.  Wagner's character was probably based on Cary Grant's character in Hitchcock's "To Catch a Thief".  In later years, Wagner had other successful TV series like "Hart To Hart" and "Switch".

Fred Astaire And Robert Wagner In 'It Takes A Thief' : News Photo 

Yes, Robert Wagner and Fred Astaire in It Takes A Thief. I think it was 3 seasons that the show was actually on. It was a really good show and so great to see Fred in a series. Very sophisticated, fun show. Locations all over Europe. I was sorry when it ended. Yes, Wagner also starred in Switch and Hart To Hart years later. Wish the show was in re-run. Thanks Miles, good work, your thread 

Thanks, Lav.  There have been many animals featured in TV shows through the years.  Here is a list of some animals from various TV series of the fifties and sixties.  For each name, can you tell us what kind of animal it is, as well as the TV show where it was featured?

1.  Aristotle

2.  Arnold

3.  Ben

4.  Bullet

5.  Buttermilk

6.  Clarence

7.  Cleo

8.  Daisy

9.  Ed

10. Kitty Kat

11. Midnight

12. Minerva

13. Target

14. Tramp

15. White Shadow

On 2/20/2019 at 12:46 AM, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Lav.  There have been many animals featured in TV shows through the years.  Here is a list of some animals from various TV series of the fifties and sixties.  For each name, can you tell us what kind of animal it is, as well as the TV show where it was featured?

1.  Aristotle

2.  Arnold

3.  Ben

4.  Bullet

5.  Buttermilk

6.  Clarence

7.  Cleo

8.  Daisy

9.  Ed

10. Kitty Kat

11. Midnight

12. Minerva

13. Target

14. Tramp

15. White Shadow

Miles, this one was in the middle of page 2. I'll start it

2. Arnold the pig- Green Acres

3. Ben was a bear- Gentle Ben

4. Bullet the Wonder Dog on The Roy Rogers Show

5. Buttermilk was Dale Evans horse on the Roy Rogers Show

7. Cleo was the beagle on The People's Choice

9. Ed was the horse on Mr. Ed

11.Midnight was the black cat on The andy Devine Show

15. Tramp was the dog on My Three Sons

All correct so far, Lav, although technically Cleo was a Basset Hound.

Here are some hints: #1 and #10 were on the same show as family pets. Well, sort of.

If you solved my latest question about Buddy Ebsen in "General Trivia", then you got the answer to another of these animals.

#6 had been the title character in a feature film.  He then was featured in a TV series which was derived from that movie.

More hints:

#12 was in a fifties sitcom about a teacher.

#13 belonged to the female star of a fifties western series.

Any more guesses?  

12. Minerva was Mrs. Davis' cat in Our Miss Brooks ( she owned the house Connie lived in) - I'm answering this to bump up the thread. Maybe that will bring some participation

Minerva is correct, Lav.  We still need to identify:

#1   Aristotle

#6  Clarence

#8  Daisy

#10 Kitty Kat

#13 Target

#15 White Shadow

Again, this went to page 2, need some more participation to keep the thread in play

8. Daisy- was the dog in the film and tv show Blondie

1. I think Aristotle was the octopus in The Adams Family

and in the same 'family' of sit coms, I think 10. Kitty Kat was the lion in The Addams Family

Yes, Aristotle and Kitty Kat were family pets of The Addams Family and Daisy was the Bumstead's dog in the Blondie series. 

What's left?

#6  Clarence had some vision problems.  He appeared in a series with Marshall Thompson.

#13  Target appeared with Gail Davis in her western series. He literally supported her.  It was probably the first western series with a female leading character.

#15  White Shadow was identified in a question of mine in another thread, very recently.

I can't give any more clues without giving away the answers.

I've been away for a few days and now I'm back.  I see that nothing new has transpired with this thread, so I'll end it.  

#6 is Clarence the Cross-Eyed Lion from "Daktari"

#13 Target was Annie Oakley's horse in the western series of the same name

#15  White Shadow was a white German Shepherd dog in a "Mickey Mouse Club" serial called "Corky And White Shadow".  It starred mousketeer Darlene Gillespie.  It was identified by Lavenderblue in another thread.

Lavenderblue gets to go next.

Thanks Miles

Although this tv show was an award winner, it was short lived. It had a great famous cast, although not each cast member appeared in every episode. Tv show and the cast members ??

Did it have rotating stars like "The Name Of The Game", or "Maverick"?  Those two shows, of course, were not short-lived.

24 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Did it have rotating stars like "The Name Of The Game", or "Maverick"?  Those two shows, of course, were not short-lived.

Appearances by the starring cast were rotated somewhat. the answer is not The Name of The Game and Maverick and yes, as I wrote the show was short lived.

Could it be "The Rogues"?  It was only on for one season in the sixties.  It was about a family of con artists from both sides of the Atlantic.  It featured Gig Young, David Niven, Charles Boyer, Gladys Cooper, and Robert Coote.  

9 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Could it be "The Rogues"?  It was only on for one season in the sixties.  It was about a family of con artists from both sides of the Atlantic.  It featured Gig Young, David Niven, Charles Boyer, Gladys Cooper, and Robert Coote.  

Yes, The Rogues. It won a Golden Globe but was cancelled anyway. Excellent cast and a good show. It is shown in re-runs, unfortunately not on any station I get. It's your thread, Miles