Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Retro Trivia

4,037 posts in this topic

An actress who appeared in movies in the 1930's, including once playing Fred Astaire's fiance, reappeared years later on television in the fifties in a series of commercials for a well known company.  Can you name this actress as well as the company whose products she endorsed?  She later became New York City's Director Of Consumer Affairs. 

6 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

An actress who appeared in movies in the 1930's, including once playing Fred Astaire's fiance, reappeared years later on television in the fifties in a series of commercials for a well known company.  Can you name this actress as well as the company whose products she endorsed?  She later became New York City's Director Of Consumer Affairs. 

Miles, she was also my favorite doll-- The Revlon Doll, Barbara Britton.

Maybe your sister had one?

So, of course the commercials were for Revlon beauty products.

BTW-- The movie was "Swing Time".

Sorry, Princess.  Barbara Britton did not make movies in the 1930's and never played the fiance of Fred Astaire.  She also was never the Director Of Consumer Affairs for New York City. 

The actress that I am looking for also did some acting on various TV shows in the 50's, but it is her commercials that she is probably best remembered for. 

Sorry - - I always got Betty Furness mixed up with her.

My memory isn't what it used to be but it was some Refrigeration company. I guess Frigidaire.

3 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Sorry, Princess.  Barbara Britton did not make movies in the 1930's and never played the fiance of Fred Astaire.  She also was never the Director Of Consumer Affairs for New York City. 

The actress that I am looking for also did some acting on various TV shows in the 50's, but it is her commercials that she is probably best remembered for. 

Well, you're half right, Princess.  Betty Furness played Fred's fiance in "Swing Time".  She also had a bit part in "Flying Down To Rio".  The company that she did commercials for was Westinghouse.  Here is one of her commercials:

"You can be sure if it's Westinghouse".

OK, Princess.  You're up next.

Just now, MilesArcher said:

Well, you're half right, Princess.  Betty Furness played Fred's fiance in "Swing Time".  She also had a bit part in "Flying Down To Rio".  The company that she did commercials for was Westinghouse.  Here is one of her commercials:

"You can be sure if it's Westinghouse".

OK, Princess.  You're up next.

I can't help it, my father always bought Frigidaire.

The only image I have of that woman is that she was always opening a refrigerator door. LOL

This young actress was popular on classic television in several series and in the movies from the late 50s through the 60s.

She had one truly memorable scene in one of the 50s most popular Technicolor soap opera movies.

She appeared in a number of classic TV series as guest and was a regular on several-- her 2 best known were a sitcom and a western.

When you identify this actress, please also name one of her movies and two of her TV series.

On 3/17/2019 at 12:57 PM, Princess of Tap said:

This young actress was popular on classic television in several series and in the movies from the late 50s through the 60s.

She had one truly memorable scene in one of the 50s most popular Technicolor soap opera movies.

She appeared in a number of classic TV series as guest and was a regular on several-- her 2 best known were a sitcom and a western.

When you identify this actress, please also name one of her movies and two of her TV series.

Hint#1-- There's a Disney Association

On 3/17/2019 at 1:57 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Maybe Roberta Shore. She has that scene when she and her mother see Troy and Sandra kissing in front of the Church in A Summer Place. She was a regular on The Virginian and The Bob Cummings Show. She also had a recurring role on Ozzie and Harriet and The Annette series on the Mickey Mouse club ????????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Maybe Roberta Shore. She has that scene when she and her mother see Troy and Sandra kissing in front of the Church in A Summer Place. She was a regular on The Virginian and The Bob Cummings Show. She also had a recurring role on Ozzie and Harriet and The Annette series on the Mickey Mouse club ????????

Lav, next to Constance Ford knocking down the Christmas tree on Sandra Dee that has to be the best scene in the movie. LOL

And, as usual you're right!

Your turn.

Thanks Princess :)

There are at least 5 actors and actresses who were stars or co-stars  in classic tv shows that went on to star and co-star in night time soaps.

Name at least 5, their classic tv shows and the night time soaps they were in ??????????????

Larry Hagman was on I Dream Of Jeannie and was later on Dallas

Donna Reed was The Donna Reed Show and was later on Dallas

John Forsythe was on Bachelor Father and Charlie's Angels (well, his voice was) and was later on Dynasty

Linda Evans was on The Big Valley and was later on Dynasty

Barbara Stanwyck was on The Big Valley and was later on The Colbys     

2 hours ago, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

Larry Hagman was on I Dream Of Jeannie and was later on Dallas

Donna Reed was The Donna Reed Show and was later on Dallas

John Forsythe was on Bachelor Father and Charlie's Angels (well, his voice was) and was later on Dynasty

Linda Evans was on The Big Valley and was later on Dynasty

Barbara Stanwyck was on The Big Valley and was later on The Colbys     

Very good, there's another one but I'll save it for another question. Bagels, it's your thread ( I may go out and get some cream cheese and lox, now I'm in the mood) LOL

There are at least 2 sets of husbands and wives who worked together on long-running American TV comedy series who divorced shortly after the end of the series they worked on.

Name the 2 sets of spouses and the TV series they worked on.

12 hours ago, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

There are at least 2 sets of husbands and wives who worked together on long-running American TV comedy series who divorced shortly after the end of the series they worked on.

Name the 2 sets of spouses and the TV series they worked on.

Lucy and Desi- I Love Lucy 

Elizabeth Montgomery and William Asher ( directed and produced the show)- Bewitched

Linda Kaye and Mike Minor- Petticoat Junction ???

Carol Burnett's husband, Joe Hamilton, was the executive producer of her show which ended in 1978.  They divorced in 1984.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2019 at 9:54 AM, lavenderblue19 said:

Lucy and Desi- I Love Lucy 

Elizabeth Montgomery and William Asher ( directed and produced the show)- Bewitched

Linda Kaye and Mike Minor- Petticoat Junction ???

Yes!

Lucille Ball/Desi Arnaz and Elizabeth Mongomery/Wiliam Asher were the two couples that I had in mind.

I don't know about the couple involved with Petticoat Junction; I'm not very familiar with that series.

Good job, lavenderblue. It's your turn.

PS. Carol Burnett and Joe Hamilton divorced a few years after  the end of their series as did Mary Tyler Moore and Grant Tinker, whereas Ball and Arnaz and Montgomery and Asher divorced within a year after their series ended.  

Thanks

In the 50's and 60's and 70's there was a popular pastime that many families took part in. Different states may have had different names for these things. In NY at that time we had 2 different ones. It was so popular that an episode of a classic tv show used this as a topic for an episode. One of these things that were collected was called a color the other was named for a pattern and usually housewives collected them until they had enough of them then something was done with them. What were they called, what was the end purpose and what classic tv show did an episode about this ??

I think you're referring to trading stamps, which were the focus of an episode from the first season of The Brady Bunch called "54-40 And Fight." (You can tell it's from the first season because Mrs. Brady is still wearing that wig!)

Trading stamps were given for purchases at places like grocery stores and were collected in books with the end purpose for them to be redeemed for merchandise.  In The Brady Bunch episode the stamps are called Checker Trading Stamps. The boys have 54 books and the girls have 40. They decide to combine their books to get something really nice, but before they can decide on something they all want they learn that Checker Trading Stamps is going out of business. Oh no! So . . . they decide to have a house building contest with cards (boys against girls) wth the winner getting to pick what item will be traded for the stamps. The boys want a row boat and the girls want a sewing machine.

The card house building contest was re-created in the movie A Very Brady sequel from 1996, but in the movie, it was just Greg against Marcia, with the winner getting to have the attic as his or her bedroom.

10 hours ago, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

I think you're referring to trading stamps, which were the focus of an episode from the first season of The Brady Bunch called "54-40 And Fight." (You can tell it's from the first season because Mrs. Brady is still wearing that wig!)

Trading stamps were given for purchases at places like grocery stores and were collected in books with the end purpose for them to be redeemed for merchandise.  In The Brady Bunch episode the stamps are called Checker Trading Stamps. The boys have 54 books and the girls have 40. They decide to combine their books to get something really nice, but before they can decide on something they all want they learn that Checker Trading Stamps is going out of business. Oh no! So . . . they decide to have a house building contest with cards (boys against girls) wth the winner getting to pick what item will be traded for the stamps. The boys want a row boat and the girls want a sewing machine.

The card house building contest was re-created in the movie A Very Brady sequel from 1996, but in the movie, it was just Greg against Marcia, with the winner getting to have the attic as his or her bedroom.

Correct. In NY we had Plaid Stamps and Green Stamps. I think every housewife in NY collected the stamps, then pasted them in little booklets and when all the pages were filled up with the stamps the booklets would be redeemed for electric can openers and other household items. The Brady Bunch did have an episode about the Trading Stamps. In the end, the girls won and redeemed all the stamps for a color TV instead of the sewing machine they originally wanted. That was a much better prize than the electric knife or electric can opener I remember my mother got LOL. Good work Bagels, your thread ( please tell us what shortened version of your moniker name to use since typing out your moniker is just too much to type, thanks)

On 3/28/2019 at 7:22 AM, lavenderblue19 said:

Good work Bagels, your thread ( please tell us what shortened version of your moniker name to use since typing out your moniker is just too much to type, thanks)

You can call me Bagel or Bagels. Either is fine.

While recasting a role on daytime television is common, it is not done very often on American nighttime TV series.

Probably the most famous example of recasting on a nighttime show was when Dick Sargent took over the role of Darrin Stephens from Dick York in the sixth season of Bewitched.  There was no explanation as to why Darrin suddenly looked and sounded different. The audience was expected to accept that Samantha was married to the same man that she was married to during the previous five years. 

Name 4 other examples of recasts on American nighttime series (the two performers, the role that both played and the show they appeared on). The different "angels"on Charlie's Angels or the different roommates on Three's Company don't count because the new performers were playing different characters from the ones they replaced. Also, the recasting of Steven Carrington on Dynasty wouldn't count because an explanation was given as to why Steven looked different. 

Recasting of roles was quite common in radio shows.  In fact, some radio shows became TV shows and the practice of recasting continued for a while.  

Clayton Moore played "The Lone Ranger" on TV, but he had a contract dispute one year and missed an entire season.  He was replaced by John Hart as the masked man.  Most kids watching probably didn't know it was a different actor.  Jay Silverheels continued as Tonto.  Moore eventually came back and replaced Hart.

George Reeves and Phyllis Coates starred as Superman and Lois Lane, respectively, in a movie called "Superman And The Mole Men", which served as a pilot for the TV series "The Adventures Of Superman".  Phyllis Coates played Lois Lane for the first season, then left to make movies.  She was replaced by Noel Neill, who had played Lois in a late-forties serial.

"The Burns And Allen Show" featured neighbors Blanche and Harry Morton.  Blanche was played by Bea Benaderet for the entire run of the show, but Harry was played by three actors, Larry Keating, Fred Clark, and Hal March.

One show that I don't remember personally was "Beulah" from the early fifties.  I have read about it, though.  It was on for about three years and most of the cast was replaced at least once, sometimes twice.  The title character, Beulah, was played by Ethel Waters, Louise Beavers, and Hattie McDaniel.  

Most people on these boards probably remember "Petticoat Junction" in the sixties where Billie Jo Bradley was played by Jeanine Riley, Gunilla Hutton, and Meredith MacRae.  Bobbie Jo Bradley was played by Pat Woodell and Lori Saunders.  Of the three sister characters, only Linda Kaye Henning as Betty Jo stayed for the entire run of the show.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2019 at 4:51 PM, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

While recasting a role on daytime television is common, it is not done very often on American nighttime TV series.

Probably the most famous example of recasting on a nighttime show was when Dick Sargent took over the role of Darrin Stephens from Dick York in the sixth season of Bewitched.  There was no explanation as to why Darrin suddenly looked and sounded different. The audience was expected to accept that Samantha was married to the same man that she was married to during the previous five years. 

Name 4 other examples of recasts on American nighttime series (the two performers, the role that both played and the show they appeared on). The different "angels"on Charlie's Angels or the different roommates on Three's Company don't count because the new performers were playing different characters from the ones they replaced. Also, the recasting of Steven Carrington on Dynasty wouldn't count because an explanation was given as to why Steven looked different. 

Miles response is above, Bagels, pls respond, thanks

Excellent, Miles!

The 4 examples you gave were not ones that I had in mind. It's nice to learn things from this forum.

I won't reveal the ones I'm aware of so I can use them for a later question.

It's your turn.