Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Retro Trivia

3,732 posts in this topic

An actress who appeared in movies in the 1930's, including once playing Fred Astaire's fiance, reappeared years later on television in the fifties in a series of commercials for a well known company.  Can you name this actress as well as the company whose products she endorsed?  She later became New York City's Director Of Consumer Affairs. 

6 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

An actress who appeared in movies in the 1930's, including once playing Fred Astaire's fiance, reappeared years later on television in the fifties in a series of commercials for a well known company.  Can you name this actress as well as the company whose products she endorsed?  She later became New York City's Director Of Consumer Affairs. 

Miles, she was also my favorite doll-- The Revlon Doll, Barbara Britton.

Maybe your sister had one?

So, of course the commercials were for Revlon beauty products.

BTW-- The movie was "Swing Time".

Sorry, Princess.  Barbara Britton did not make movies in the 1930's and never played the fiance of Fred Astaire.  She also was never the Director Of Consumer Affairs for New York City. 

The actress that I am looking for also did some acting on various TV shows in the 50's, but it is her commercials that she is probably best remembered for. 

Sorry - - I always got Betty Furness mixed up with her.

My memory isn't what it used to be but it was some Refrigeration company. I guess Frigidaire.

3 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Sorry, Princess.  Barbara Britton did not make movies in the 1930's and never played the fiance of Fred Astaire.  She also was never the Director Of Consumer Affairs for New York City. 

The actress that I am looking for also did some acting on various TV shows in the 50's, but it is her commercials that she is probably best remembered for. 

Well, you're half right, Princess.  Betty Furness played Fred's fiance in "Swing Time".  She also had a bit part in "Flying Down To Rio".  The company that she did commercials for was Westinghouse.  Here is one of her commercials:

"You can be sure if it's Westinghouse".

OK, Princess.  You're up next.

Just now, MilesArcher said:

Well, you're half right, Princess.  Betty Furness played Fred's fiance in "Swing Time".  She also had a bit part in "Flying Down To Rio".  The company that she did commercials for was Westinghouse.  Here is one of her commercials:

"You can be sure if it's Westinghouse".

OK, Princess.  You're up next.

I can't help it, my father always bought Frigidaire.

The only image I have of that woman is that she was always opening a refrigerator door. LOL

This young actress was popular on classic television in several series and in the movies from the late 50s through the 60s.

She had one truly memorable scene in one of the 50s most popular Technicolor soap opera movies.

She appeared in a number of classic TV series as guest and was a regular on several-- her 2 best known were a sitcom and a western.

When you identify this actress, please also name one of her movies and two of her TV series.