Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Retro Trivia

3,984 posts in this topic

Before Audrey Meadows played Alice Kramden to Jackie Gleason's Ralph, another actress played Alice on TV with Jackie.  Later, when Audrey played the part, this other actress guested as Alice's mother.  Who was this other actress?  

6 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Before Audrey Meadows played Alice Kramden to Jackie Gleason's Ralph, another actress played Alice on TV with Jackie.  Later, when Audrey played the part, this other actress guested as Alice's mother.  Who was this other actress?  

Pert Kelton ?

Yes, Jackie Gleason presented "The Honeymooners" as a recurring feature of the "Cavalcade Of Stars" variety show in the early fifties.  Art Carney played Ed Norton, Joyce Randolph played Trixie Norton,  and veteran actress Pert Kelton played Alice Kramden.  A few years later, "The Hpneymooners" had their own series for a full season of thirty-nine episodes.

Nice work, Lavender.  It's your thread.     

Thanks Miles - glad you're back

There are at least 4 very popular singers in the 1960's who all had big hits, they all appeared in at least 1 film and all appeared on tv shows either as themselves or as guests on tv series and they had the same first name.

name each singer, at least one hit song, at least 1 film they appeared in

Wayne Newton had a hit with "Danke Schoen" and appeared in 80 Steps To Jonah

Andy Williams had a hit with "Moon River" and appeared in I'd Rather Be Rich

Bobby Rydell had a hit with "Volare" and appeared in Bye Bye Birdie

Ricky Nelson had a hit with "Travelin' Man" and appeared in Rio Bravo  

1 hour ago, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

Wayne Newton had a hit with "Danke Schoen" and appeared in 80 Steps To Jonah

Andy Williams had a hit with "Moon River" and appeared in I'd Rather Be Rich

Bobby Rydell had a hit with "Volare" and appeared in Bye Bye Birdie

Ricky Nelson had a hit with "Travelin' Man" and appeared in Rio Bravo  

Bagel, if you read my question, I wrote they all had the same first name.Good try though.

Bobby Rydell-- "Kissin time--" Bye Bye Birdie "

Bobby Darin--" Up the lazy river"--" If a man answers"

Bobby Vee--" Be true to yourself "--" Just for fun "

Bobby Vinton--" Blue on Blue "--" Surf Party "

10 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Bobby Rydell-- "Kissin time--" Bye Bye Birdie "

Bobby Darin--" Up the lazy river"--" If a man answers"

Bobby Vee--" Be true to yourself "--" Just for fun "

Bobby Vinton--" Blue on Blue "--" Surf Party "

Well, those are the 4, all great Bobbys and those are the films, but I definitely would have picked other hit songs LOL. Good work Princess, your thread

1 minute ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Well, those are the 4, all great Bobbys and those are the films, but I definitely would have picked other hit songs LOL. Good work Princess, your thread

You noticed I picked 2 Burt Bacharach songs. 

And I should be ashamed to admit this, but I own two Bobby Darin movie DVDs, of course with Sandra Dee. The one I mentioned above and another one called, Come September.

I shall return with more nostalgia.

3 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

You noticed I picked 2 Burt Bacharach songs. 

And I should be ashamed to admit this, but I own two Bobby Darin movie DVDs, of course with Sandra Dee. The one I mentioned above and another one called, Come September.

I shall return with more nostalgia.

Why be ashamed, I love those films and I wish they would show If A Man Answers.I've requested TCM show the film dozens of times over the years and Come September is such a fun film. At least TCM shows Come September every so often.

Next: This handsome actor appeared in one Hitchcock Hollywood movie.

However he was more associated with television, as he co-starred in 3 classic TV series.

All three were highly successful in different decades.

When you identify this actor, also name his three TV series and the film with Hitch.

40 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Next: This handsome actor appeared in one Hitchcock Hollywood movie.

However he was more associated with television, as he co-starred in 3 classic TV series.

All three were highly successful in different decades.

When you identify this actor, also name his three TV series and the film with Hitch.

Maybe, John Forsythe - The Trouble With Harry the Hitch film- tv series- Bachelor Father, To Rome With Love, the voice of Charlie in Charlie's Angels and Dynasty  ??????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Maybe, John Forsythe - The Trouble With Harry the Hitch film- tv series- Bachelor Father, To Rome With Love, the voice of Charlie in Charlie's Angels and Dynasty  ??????

Lav, That's it and as usual you're right.

Handsome absolutely describes John Forsythe.  Even his voice on "Charlie's Angels" was handsome.

Lav, your turn and you're going to have to go some to beat that last Bobby question. LOL

18 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Lav, That's it and as usual you're right.

Handsome absolutely describes John Forsythe.  Even his voice on "Charlie's Angels" was handsome.

Lav, your turn and you're going to have to go some to beat that last Bobby question. LOL

Thanks Princess, glad you had a good time with that question :)

next

A very popular tv  show in the 60's-70's time frame, used a funny line that became somewhat iconic. The idea for the line came from a popular hit song at that time. TV show, the famous line that was used in the show and that hit song that inspired that funny line ???

5 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

next

A very popular tv  show in the 60's-70's time frame, used a funny line that became somewhat iconic. The idea for the line came from a popular hit song at that time. TV show, the famous line that was used in the show and that hit song that inspired that funny line ???

TV Show: Laugh-In

Famous line: "Sock It To Me"

Hit Song: Aretha Franklin's version "Respect" 

10 hours ago, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

TV Show: Laugh-In

Famous line: "Sock It To Me"

Hit Song: Aretha Franklin's version "Respect" 

The wife of George Schlatter, the executive producer of Laugh -In came up with Sock It To Me as a line to be used on Laugh-In after hearing Aretha's hit Respect. At the time I think every guest star on Laugh-In must have used that line on the show. Very good Bagel, it's your thread.

When I was in college, we had a young lady in our class whose name I believe was Donna Socket.  We also had a guy in class named Robert Toomey.  So, of course, we played that old game, if Donna Socket married Robert Toomey, her name would be Donna Socket Toomey.  They never did marry each other, but I was hoping they would just so the newspaper wedding announcement would read "Socket-Toomey".

Bagel, it's your turn.

• Haha 1

On 4/15/2019 at 7:01 AM, lavenderblue19 said:

The wife of George Schlatter, the executive producer of Laugh -In came up with Sock It To Me as a line to be used on Laugh-In after hearing Aretha's hit Respect. At the time I think every guest star on Laugh-In must have used that line on the show. Very good Bagel, it's your thread.

Thanks, lavenderblue. I'll be back with a new question.  

There is at least one instance where two performers who would later play the same role in a long-running TV series appeared together in a movie.

Name the two performers, the TV role they both played, the TV series and the movie they both appeared in.

10 hours ago, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

There is at least one instance where two performers who would later play the same role in a long-running TV series appeared together in a movie.

Name the two performers, the TV role they both played, the TV series and the movie they both appeared in.

Alice Pearce was replaced by Sandra Gould as Mrs. Kravitz in the tv series Bewitched. They both appeared together in the movie Dear Heart ????

Thanks Bagel, btw, I'm very fond of the film Dear Heart

next

This actress had a recurring role on a hit tv show that lead to a co-starring role on another series. She also had a couple of hit records. Actress, 2 tv shows and the 2 biggest hits she had ?????