Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Retro Trivia

3,965 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

Shelley Fabares had a recurring role on the Annette serial on The Mickey Mouse Club and subsequently co-starred on The Donna Reed Show. She had hit singles with "Johnny Angel" and "Johnny Loves Me."

Given the first clue that I gave, Shelley fits. She's not the one I was asking about, however, since she fits that clue the thread is yours Bagels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2019 at 8:53 PM, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

To date there has only been one person who has won an Oscar, an Emmy and a Tony in the same year.

Name the person, the year, and the work and the award category for which the person won the Oscar, Emmy and Tony.  

Time for a new clue, thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2019 at 7:53 PM, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

To date there has only been one person who has won an Oscar, an Emmy and a Tony in the same year.

Name the person, the year, and the work and the award category for which the person won the Oscar, Emmy and Tony.  

Hint: None of the awards were for acting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Bob Fosse won all three awards in 1973.  His Oscar was for Best Director for "Cabaret".  His Tony was for director and choreographer of "Pippin" on Broadway.  His Emmy was for directing and choreographing "Liza With A "Z", a TV special.  

 

 

   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes!

No one before or since has won the "triple crown" of Oscar, Emmy and Tony in the same year that Bob Fosse won in 1973. As you mention, he actually won 2 Tonys and 2 Emmys that year.

Good job, Miles. It's your turn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Which TV star had a hit record called "The Too Fat Polka" with lines like "I don't want her, you can have her, she's too fat for me"?

 

 

   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2019 at 1:27 AM, MilesArcher said:

 Which TV star had a hit record called "The Too Fat Polka" with lines like "I don't want her, you can have her, she's too fat for me"?

 

 

   

Arthur Godfrey?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Yes, people remember Arthur Godfrey for his TV variety and game shows, but he also recorded songs from time to time. 

"The Too Fat Polka" was also recorded by Frankie Yankovic.

Once again, Lavender, you get the thread.

 

   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Miles

This actress played a singer in a long running classic tv series. She also starred and co-starred in films. Years later, she became a very successful business woman. Actress and tv series ??

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This actress played a singer in a long running classic tv series. She also starred and co-starred in films. Years later, she became a very successful business woman. Actress and tv series ( extra if you tell us what successful business she was involved in) ???

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

This actress played a singer in a long running classic tv series. She also starred and co-starred in films. Years later, she became a very successful business woman. Actress and tv series ( extra if you tell us what successful business she was involved in) ???

 

 I think it's Cricket Blake AKA Connie Stevens from "Hawaiian Eye".

She was co-starring in "Susan Slade" and "Parish".

I never paid that much attention to what she did after that but it was some kind of a women's fashion that she was involved in--

Wigs, jewelry, clothing and it seems like she sold it on one of those cable sales Outlet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

 I think it's Cricket Blake AKA Connie Stevens from "Hawaiian Eye".

She was co-starring in "Susan Slade" and "Parish".

I never paid that much attention to what she did after that but it was some kind of a women's fashion that she was involved in--

Wigs, jewelry, clothing and it seems like she sold it on one of those cable sales Outlet.

Correct with Connie Stevens and Hawaiian Eye. Connie started a make-up, skincare and fragrance line called Forever Spring. It was sold on QVC or HSN not sure which but I do remember seeing her there. I was amazed to find out that she still sells her products but on-line. Before she started the business, she had financial troubles. She's had this business for over 25 years and Connie has a net worth of over 50 million dollars according to Forbes!!!! Not bad for someone who played ditsy, scattered brained Cricket Blake LOL. Good work Princess, your thread :)

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Correct with Connie Stevens and Hawaiian Eye. Connie started a make-up, skincare and fragrance line called Forever Spring. It was sold on QVC or HSN not sure which but I do remember seeing her there. I was amazed to find out that she still sells her products but on-line. Before she started the business, she had financial troubles. She's had this business for over 25 years and Connie has a net worth of over 50 million dollars according to Forbes!!!! Not bad for someone who played ditsy, scattered brained Cricket Blake LOL. Good work Princess, your thread :)

 

 

I was such a fan that I even bought her records. LOL

She wasn't a bad singer and I always heard that she was one of the most generous and giving people in Hollywood.

Thanks and I'll be back 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2019 at 12:03 PM, Princess of Tap said:

I was such a fan that I even bought her records. LOL

She wasn't a bad singer and I always heard that she was one of the most generous and giving people in Hollywood.

Thanks and I'll be back 

Princess, your thread

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 This handsome TV star was married twice to 2 different beautiful actresses.

He scored big successes in more than several different series in several decades-- in both drama and comedy.

He never planned to be an actor, but early on caught the eye of one of Hollywood's most gifted directors, who directed him in a movie.

Then he went on to establish a film career which was followed by an extremely successful TV series career in classic TV.

When you identify this actor, please also name at least one of his films and at least two of his very successful TV series. And a bonus Brownie point for the very gifted director who got him his start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2019 at 4:10 PM, Princess of Tap said:

 This handsome TV star was married twice to 2 different beautiful actresses.

He scored big successes in more than several different series in several decades-- in both drama and comedy.

He never planned to be an actor, but early on caught the eye of one of Hollywood's most gifted directors, who directed him in a movie.

Then he went on to establish a film career which was followed by an extremely successful TV series career in classic TV.

When you identify this actor, please also name at least one of his films and at least two of his very successful TV series. And a bonus Brownie point for the very gifted director who got him his start.

Hint: This actor co-starred in a film series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2019 at 5:10 PM, Princess of Tap said:

 This handsome TV star was married twice to 2 different beautiful actresses.

He scored big successes in more than several different series in several decades-- in both drama and comedy.

He never planned to be an actor, but early on caught the eye of one of Hollywood's most gifted directors, who directed him in a movie.

Then he went on to establish a film career which was followed by an extremely successful TV series career in classic TV.

When you identify this actor, please also name at least one of his films and at least two of his very successful TV series. And a bonus Brownie point for the very gifted director who got him his start.

Richard Long, was married to Susan Ball and Mara Corday, he was in The Stranger, Tomorrow Is Forever and The Ma and Pa film series. As far as tv goes there's The Big Valley, 77 Sunset Strip, Nanny and The Professor, Bourbon Street Blues. I'm guessing the director might be Orson Welles since he did make Tomorrow Is Forever (Long's 1st film) and The Stranger with Welles ??????????????????????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Richard Long, was married to Susan Ball and Mara Corday, he was in The Stranger, Tomorrow Is Forever and The Ma and Pa film series. As far as tv goes there's The Big Valley, 77 Sunset Strip, Nanny and The Professor, Bourbon Street Blues. I'm guessing the director might be Orson Welles since he did make Tomorrow Is Forever (Long's 1st film) and The Stranger with Welles ??????????????????????

Lav, what took you so long?

But I guess you do have a right to have other important things that you have to do. LOL

 I was one of the biggest Dick Long fans there ever was and Mara Corday was such a beautiful woman.

Researching this I had long forgotten what a character he played in "Maverick", Gentleman Jack Darby.

Well Lav, that was your question and you got it!

 Your turn ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Princess, I also liked Richard Long a lot. so sad that he died so young

next

2 child actress who were sisters in real life had careers in films and had tv careers on classic tv shows. Actresses, what were some of their tv shows and some of their successful films ??????????

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Angela Cartwright and Veronica Cartwright

 

Angela was a regular on the TV shows The Danny Thomas Show and Lost In Space. Her most well-known movie role was Brigitta von Trapp in The Sound of Music. She was also in Lad: A Dog.

Veronica played Violet Rutherford on the TV show Leave It To Beaver and played Daniel Boone's daughter on Daniel Boone. As a child she appeared in the movies The Children's Hour and The Birds. As an adult she also appeared in the movies Alien and The Witches Of Eastwick (which I just saw recently --- she was really good in that one). She also played Jack's mother on Will & Grace and had a recurring role on The X-Files (which she reprised in one episode of the revival series).   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

Angela Cartwright and Veronica Cartwright

 

Angela was a regular on the TV shows The Danny Thomas Show and Lost In Space. Her most well-known movie role was Brigitta von Trapp in The Sound of Music. She was also in Lad: A Dog.

Veronica played Violet Rutherford on the TV show Leave It To Beaver and played Daniel Boone's daughter on Daniel Boone. As a child she appeared in the movies The Children's Hour and The Birds. As an adult she also appeared in the movies Alien and The Witches Of Eastwick (which I just saw recently --- she was really good in that one). She also played Jack's mother on Will & Grace and had a recurring role on The X-Files (which she reprised in one episode of the revival series).   

Yes Angela and Veronica Cartwright. Veronica's cherry pit scene is something else LOL You're up Bagels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2019 at 6:08 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

Yes Angela and Veronica Cartwright. Veronica's cherry pit scene is something else LOL You're up Bagels

I was surprised to find out that Veronica Cartwright wasn't nominated for a Supporting Actress Oscar for The Witches of Eastwick.

 

Next question: An actor who would later win 2 Oscars was the first choice of a TV comedy show's executive producer to play the show's male lead.

Name the TV show, the Oscar-winning actor, the movies for which he won Oscars and the actor who was ultimately cast in the TV show. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us