Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Retro Trivia

4,032 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

I was surprised to find out that Veronica Cartwright wasn't nominated for a Supporting Actress Oscar for The Witches of Eastwick.

Next question: An actor who would later win 2 Oscars was the first choice of a TV comedy show's executive producer to play the show's male lead.

Name the TV show, the Oscar-winning actor, the movies for which he won Oscars and the actor who was ultimately cast in the TV show. 

Bagels, you really need to give a little more info than that, thanks

Gene Hackman was the first choice to play Mike Brady on "The Brady Bunch".  Hackman won the best actor Oscar for "The French Connection" and the best supporting actor Oscar for "Unforgiven".  The role of Mike Brady eventually went to Robert Reed.

Yes!

I thought this one would be super easy for the folks in this forum.

According to Sherwood Schwartz, he wanted Gene Hackman for the role of Mike Brady, but network executives wanted someone more familiar to prime time television viewers.

Good job, Miles. It's your turn.

Here are names of some characters from classic TV shows.  Can you name the show each was featured in, as well as the actor or actress who played that role?

1.  Sock Miller

2.  Giles French

3.  Thalia Menninger

4.  Mel Cooley

5.  Flora MacMichael 

6.  Micah Torrance

7.  Floyd Lawson

8.  Kelly Gregg

9.  Pinky Pinkham

10. Elvira Nugent

2. Sebastian Cabot- Family Affair

3. Tuesday Weld - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis

4. Richard Deacon - The Dick Van Dyke Show

6. Paul Fix - The Rifleman

8 Noreen Corcoran - Bachelor Father

All correct so far, Lavender.  Are there no other guesses from anyone?  Here are a few hints:

#1  Sock is a nickname for Socrates.  His girlfriend is the daughter of the local mayor.

#5  Flora MacMichael lives on a farm with her brother George.  They are neighbors of the show's stars.

#7  Floyd Lawson is an independent businessman in a small town.

#9  Pinky Pinkham is an entertainer in a period shortly after World War I.

#10 Elvira Nugent is a beautician who goes by the nickname Nugie.  She is a close friend of the show's star.

13 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

All correct so far, Lavender.  Are there no other guesses from anyone?  Here are a few hints:

#1  Sock is a nickname for Socrates.  His girlfriend is the daughter of the local mayor.

#5  Flora MacMichael lives on a farm with her brother George.  They are neighbors of the show's stars.

#10 Elvira Nugent is a beautician who goes by the nickname Nugie.  She is a close friend of the show's star.

Miles I could name a few more but I was hoping we'd get more participation. Because of all these threads, our favorite trivia questions keep getting pushed to page 2. I hope by bumping this up to page 1 where it belongs, a few more posters will play

On 5/22/2019 at 2:14 AM, MilesArcher said:

Bumping this one up from page 2

44 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I think I got confused on this one as to how many have already been answered.

1) Jackie Cooper in "The People's Choice"

5) Madge Blake in  "The Real McCoys"

All correct so far, Princess and Lavender.  That just leaves #9 and #10.  Are there no other guesses from anyone?   

#9  Pinky Pinkham is an entertainer in a period shortly after World War I.  The series ran for a couple of seasons in the early sixties.  The show was about cops and gangsters in Chicago, but it is not "The Untouchables".

#10 Elvira Nugent is a beautician who goes by the nickname Nugie.  She is a close friend of the show's star.  She works on a cruise ship.  The star is the social director and entertainer on the ship.  The show ran from 1956 to 1960.  It is not "The Love Boat". 

Oh, I was a big fan of both those characters but I was too young sometimes to notice the credits.

9) Dorothy Provine in  "The Roaring Twenties"

10) And My Mother's Favorite-- Zasu Pitts in "Oh, Susanna!"

Very good, Princess.  We have all ten now, but I have a problem.  Lavender got five and Princess got five, so who gets to go next?  Lavender and Princess, don't be so nice and polite and defer to the other.  Just jump in and post the next question.  Whoever gets in first is the one that we'll try to answer. 

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

Very good, Princess.  We have all ten now, but I have a problem.  Lavender got five and Princess got five, so who gets to go next?  Lavender and Princess, don't be so nice and polite and defer to the other.  Just jump in and post the next question.  Whoever gets in first is the one that we'll try to answer. 

Nope, Lav  got the first five and encouraged me more than once to get in there. There was some confusion on my part, but she had the initiative and got it right first. So I'm going to defer to her.

Just now, Princess of Tap said:

Nope, Lav  got the first five and encouraged me more than once to get in there. There was some confusion on my part, but she had the initiative and got it right first. So I'm going to defer to her.

On 5/24/2019 at 5:53 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks Miles and Princess :):)

next

A classic night time tv drama ran for a few years then was turned into a daytime soap. One of the stars of the night time show was in real life the daughter of an actress who had appeared in films and tv shows. The night time show, the soap and who were the mother and daughter actresses ????

The title of the night time show was changed slightly in the 2nd season, but the daytime soap used the original title of the night time show

The actress part of the question is about, the one who co-starred in the night time tv show, had what was considered an unusual name at that time

Lavender, I believe that you are referring to a show that was originally titled "The Nurses".  It ran for three years in prime time, but the title was changed to "The Doctors And The Nurses" for the second season.  It was filmed in New York City.  Later, it became a half hour daytime soap called "The Nurses".  One of the stars of the night time show was Zina Bethune, the daughter of actress Ivy Bethune.  Zina was also an accomplished ballet dancer.  

4 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Lavender, I believe that you are referring to a show that was originally titled "The Nurses".  It ran for three years in prime time, but the title was changed to "The Doctors And The Nurses" for the second season.  It was filmed in New York City.  Later, it became a half hour daytime soap called "The Nurses".  One of the stars of the night time show was Zina Bethune, the daughter of actress Ivy Bethune.  Zina was also an accomplished ballet dancer.  

Perfect answer Miles. I remember when The Nurses with Zina Bethune was on. She was a lovely actress. Thanks Miles, your thread :)

This may bring back some fond memories.  I hope so.

Can you identify these vintage TV puppets, and in some cases, their human friends?

1.   fringe.png?w=640 

2.  1f9f2dd3dbacc97d4d9ed1aadefdcc1d.jpg 

3.  4699130e4d3804a04dae454f30f20905.jpg  

4.  20110416-wences-300x282.jpg 

5.  dummy5.jpg 

6.  Midnight-the-Cat-and-Andy.jpg 

7.  Screen-Shot-2016-03-22-at-9.04.18-AM.jpg 

8.  farfel_danny_nestle.jpg 

9.  time-for-fun.jpg 

10.  bergenedgarbio.jpg 

This is going to show I'm old LOL I can name all of them, but I'll do 1/2, hopefully some other old timers will join in. I left out 5,7,8,9, 10

1. Howdy Doody and Buffalo Bob Smith

2. My Favorite - Lamb Chop and Shari Lewis ( I own a few Lamp Chop puppets)

3. Kukla, Fran Allison and Ollie

4. Senior Wences and Johnny ( use to watch them on Ed Sullivan)

6. Andy Devine and Midnight the Cat

9. Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Moose

8. If there's one thing I do know...it's chocolate.." N-E-S-T-L-E-S, Nestles makes the very best....chocccccccolate"  I do remember Farfel the dog, but had to look up the others...Danny O'Day was the short wooden fellow, and Jimmy Nelson was the taller, although also somewhat wooden fellow.