Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Retro Trivia

4,030 posts in this topic

10) The first radio my mother gave me was a discarded one with Charlie McCarthy on the front. I didn't know who he was or why he was on a radio.

So here we have Candice Bergen's father, Edgar Bergen with the radio star of the show Charlie McCarthy and the very confused Mortimer Snerd.

Howdy Doody was my brother's thing. I was more into Shari Lewis and Lambchop and let's not forget Hush Puppy too.

But I watched it with him so many times that I do remember

7) Phineas T Bluster.

We don't have #5 yet.  The human in the picture was a very popular ventriloquist in the fifties and sixties, appearing on many variety shows, with numerous guest stints on "The Milton Berle Show".  He later became a top voice actor for cartoons, including one of the characters in Disney's "Winnie The Pooh" series.

5483985382_6a50fe3733_z.jpg  

11 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

We don't have #5 yet.  The human in the picture was a very popular ventriloquist in the fifties and sixties, appearing on many variety shows, with numerous guest stints on "The Milton Berle Show".  He later became a top voice actor for cartoons, including one of the characters in Disney's "Winnie The Pooh" series.

5483985382_6a50fe3733_z.jpg  

Jerry Mahoney, Paul Winchell and Knucklehead Smiff

On 5/20/2019 at 1:51 AM, MilesArcher said:

Here are names of some characters from classic TV shows.  Can you name the show each was featured in, as well as the actor or actress who played that role?

1.  Sock Miller

2.  Giles French

3.  Thalia Menninger

4.  Mel Cooley

5.  Flora MacMichael 

6.  Micah Torrance

7.  Floyd Lawson

8.  Kelly Gregg

9.  Pinky Pinkham

10. Elvira Nugent

5. Flora McMichael was the neighbor on The Real McCoys. Madge Blake (aka, Dick Grayson's Aunt Harriet on Batman was the actress that played her.

24 minutes ago, Brrrcold said:

5. Flora McMichael was the neighbor on The Real McCoys. Madge Blake (aka, Dick Grayson's Aunt Harriet on Batman was the actress that played her.

This was already answered, the question was completed. Sorry, but stick around for the next round of questions

Thanks for your input, Brrrcold.  Madge Blake was identified by The Princess Of Tap on May 24th.  Besides "The Real McCoys and "Batman", Madge Blake played the mother of Larry Mondello on "Leave It To Beaver".  She also played Joey Bishop's mother on the first season of "The Joey Bishop Show".

We have all of the puppets and their human friends identified now.  Lavender got seven, Princess got two, and Shutoo got one, so Lavender gets to post the next question.  I had originally thought of posting them to the "Guess Who" thread, but I realized that they fit the "Retro Trivia" thread very nicely.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Miles

A retro tv show had 2 contestants and a bell on the stage. The show had a long run. What was the tv show?

Popular singer got his start on classic TV in late night and on a series with one of the Marx Brothers.

Prior to that he had worked as a chorus singer at a major Hollywood studio in the 40s.

When you identify this singer, can you also name the two classic TV shows where he got his start?

And brownie points for the name of the major studio.....

I believe that this is Andy Williams.  The TV show with the Marx brother was "The College Bowl" with Chico Marx.  Andy also got to sing on "The Steve Allen Show".  Of course, he hosted his own variety show in the sixties.  In the 1940's, he was a chorus singer at MGM, working with Kay Thompson. 

You'll have to look fast to see Andy in this clip from "The College Bowl".

You'll see more of Andy in this next one:

I hope I'm right, Princess.  I could really use those brownie points.  

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

I believe that this is Andy Williams.  The TV show with the Marx brother was "The College Bowl" with Chico Marx.  Andy also got to sing on "The Steve Allen Show".  Of course, he hosted his own variety show in the sixties.  In the 1940's, he was a chorus singer at MGM, working with Kay Thompson. 

I hope I'm right, Princess.  I could really use those brownie points.  

Well it's "So Rare", as Andy used to sing that song, that I would have a question about my favorite male singer.

But I just couldn't help myself.

I've seen these early shows and Andy already had it all, had it all together.

Miles, not only do you get the brownie points but you also get the Moon River Seal of Approval.

Well, now, my Huckleberry Friend, it's your turn.....

10 minutes ago, Terrence1 said:

I also remember a series of 15-minute TV shows that Andy did with June Valli.

Yes, you just jogged my memory on that one.  I think it was a summer replacement and it was rather popular .

At the time there was some talk that  Andy should  form a Duo with June Valli.

But he said unequivocally that he  had been in a group all his life, with his brothers, and he had no desire to be in another one. LOL

Miles is still up.....

We've been talking about TV shows from the fifties and sixties a lot.  Let's give our younger members a trip down memory lane with some seventies shows.  

Some 1970's variety shows started as summer replacement shows.  Some of them were canceled after just a handful of shows, while other were successful and were given slots on the regular network schedules.  From the following photos, can you name these shows?  If you remember the seventies, most should be easy.

1.  YV1oy-1527777543-11923-list_items-summer70s_jerryreed.jpg 

2.  Y3fZ4-1527777566-11924-list_items-summer70s_kenberrywow.jpg 

3.  1yFSv-1527777708-11926-list_items-summer70s_joeydad.jpg 

4.  wqV72-1527777737-11927-list_items-summer70s_shieldsyarnell.jpg 

5.  Image result for the tony orlando and dawn show 

6.  w6STO-1527777773-11928-list_items-summer70s_manhattantransfer.jpg 

7.  RAMKX-1527777668-11925-list_items-summer70s_hudsonbros.jpg 

8.  Image result for the melba moore-clifton davis show 

9.  yErQF-1527777869-11930-list_items-summer70s_macdavis.jpg 

10.  Image result for the helen reddy show 

I'll take a stab at the ones I'm sure of...

5. Tony Orlando and Dawn

7. The Hudson Brothers

10. Helen Reddy

Very good, Shutoo.  You're three for three.

Tony Orlando and Dawn were so popular that their show was extended for two seasons.

The Hudson Brothers Show did not make it past the summer.

RAMKX-1527777668-11925-list_items-summer70s_hudsonbros.jpg 

The Hudson Brothers - Left to right: Bill, Bret, and Mark.  Bill married Goldie Hawn and is the father of actress Kate Hudson.

I saw Helen Reddy perform at a county fair in Portland, Oregon in the early eighties.  When she went into "I Am Woman, Hear Me Roar", it seemed to be a stirring fight song for all of the women in the audience.

There are still seven photos left to identify.  Here's one hint:

#1 was a country singer and actor.  His show was a summer replacement for "The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour".

2. Ken Berry on his Wow Show it was a summer replacement show

3. Joey Heatherton and her father Ray- It was a summer replacement show for the Cher Show

9. Mac Davis Show

More hints:  #1 was a country singer and actor who appeared as a truck driver in several films with Burt Reynolds.  The title of his biggest hit song was included in the title of his TV show.

YV1oy-1527777543-11923-list_items-summer70s_jerryreed.jpg

#4 was a husband and wife mime team.  They were also terrific dancers who appeared on many variety shows in the seventies. 

wqV72-1527777737-11927-list_items-summer70s_shieldsyarnell.jpg 

Very good, Lavender.  Jerry Reed's show was called "The Jerry Reed When You're Hot You're Hot Hour".  

Shields And Yarnell did a lot of characters, but their most famous was a robot couple called "The Clinkers".

Lavender got the most so she get's the thread.

Thanks Miles :)

One of the most popular tv shows in the classic time frame had an episode that was pulled from syndication and not shown again for at least a decade. The TV Show, the reason why the episode was pulled and extra for the title of the episode ???