Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Retro Trivia

3,917 posts in this topic

I think it's the season six I Love Lucy episode "The Ricardos Visit Cuba." The episode was pulled from syndication when Cuba embraced Communism after the Cuban revolution of 1959 and allied itself with the Soviet Union, the Cold War enemy of the U.S.

25 minutes ago, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

I think it's the season six I Love Lucy episode "The Ricardos Visit Cuba." The episode was pulled from syndication when Cuba embraced Communism after the Cuban revolution of 1959 and allied itself with the Soviet Union, the Cold War enemy of the U.S.

Correct Bagels, the I Love Lucy episode The Ricardos Visit Cuba. The episode was not seen again on tv for 11 years

Very good Bagels, your thread.

The following are titles of iconic episodes of TV shows. Name the TV series the episodes are from and what is memorable about the episode:

"Never Bathe On Saturday"

"In The Soup"

"A House Divided"

"Job Switching"

"The Pickle Story"

"Enter Alexis"

"The Separation"

"The Subject Was Noses"

"My Brother's Keeper"

Here are a few:

"Never Bathe On A Saturday" is an episode of "The Dick Van Dyke Show".  Laura gets her big toe caught in a bathtub faucet in a hotel that she and Rob are staying in.  The bathroom door is locked and he can't get it open.

"A House Divided" is an episode of "The Munsters".  Herman and Grandpa have a disagreement and they draw a line down the middle of the house that neither one is allowed to cross.

"Job Switching" is that classic "I Love Lucy" episode where Lucy and Ethel get jobs in a candy factory.

"The Pickle Story" is an episode of "The Andy Griffith Show".  Aunt Bee wants to enter her homemade pickles in the county fair and no one has the heart to tell her that they taste awful.

"The Subject Was Noses" is an episode of "The Brady Bunch" where Marcia gets hit in the face by a football and her nose gets very swollen.

Related image 

Excellent, MilesArcher!

For the "A House Divided" episode I actually was thinking of an episode from an hour-long drama, but since there is a memorable episode of The Munsters with the same title you get credit for that one.  If no one else guesses, I reveal which "A House Divided" episode I had in mind.

The following remain unidentified:

"In The Soup" [hint: It's from a show that originally aired in the 1950s and 1960s]

"Enter Alexis" [hint: It's from a show that originally aired in the 1980s]

"The Separation" [hint: It's from a show that originally aired in the 1970s]  

"My Brother's Keeper" [hint: It's from a show that originally aired in the 1970s]

50 minutes ago, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

Excellent, MilesArcher!

For the "A House Divided" episode I actually was thinking of an episode from an hour-long drama, but since there is a memorable episode of The Munsters with the same title you get credit for that one.  If no one else guesses, I reveal which "A House Divided" episode I had in mind.

The following remain unidentified:

"In The Soup" [hint: It's from a show that originally aired in the 1950s and 1960s]

"Enter Alexis" [hint: It's from a show that originally aired in the 1980s]

"The Separation" [hint: It's from a show that originally aired in the 1970s]  

"My Brother's Keeper" [hint: It's from a show that originally aired in the 1970s]

I remember this one In the Soup was Leave it to Beaver- that's a famous episode because it cost a lot to film when Beaver is trapped in a large bowl on a billboard and the fire dept has to get him down.

Enter Alexis is Dynasty when Joan Collins shows up. Bagels, if you go to page 1 there are the rules the OP gave for the thread, the cut off is 1979 for retro questions. Giving clues that might go past that is OK but the question shouldn't be about anything past 1979 
Thanks

"My Brother's Keeper" is one of my favorite Mary Tyler Moore episodes, when Phyllis fears her brother is falling for Rhoda.  Her brother was played by Robert Moore, who actually ended up directing a lot of the Rhoda episodes....but not "The Separation" 

Excellent, lavenderblue and shutoo!

You've correctly identified the remaining episodes.

I will add that what's most noteworthy and groundbreaking  about "My Brother's Keeper" from The Mary Tyler Moore Show is the revelation that the reason Rhoda and Phyllis's brother are not romantically involved is that he is gay. Phyllis is relieved to learn this and the tag at the end of the episode shows the characters behaving normally --- the revelation of his sexuality was no big deal.

"The Separation" from the third season of Rhoda marked the beginning of the end of the marriage of Rhoda and her husband Joe, who wed in a highly promoted and highly rated hour-long episode from the show's first season.

MilesArcher, you identified the most episodes so it's your thread.  

On this Independence Day, a theatrical movie about the revolutionary war is not being shown on TCM today, much to my chagrin.  It was made by Disney and featured a young actor who would later star in an Oscar winning musical.  It also featured a young woman who had been a child actress in some earlier Disney classics.  The star of the movie was a young man who did not have a lengthy acting career, but he did appear in a Disney mini-series on television that was also set during the American revolution.  Can you name the movie, the TV mini-series and the actors and actress that I referenced?  

2 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

On this Independence Day, a theatrical movie about the revolutionary war is not being shown on TCM today, much to my chagrin.  It was made by Disney and featured a young actor who would later star in an Oscar winning musical.  It also featured a young woman who had been a child actress in some earlier Disney classics.  The star of the movie was a young man who did not have a lengthy acting career, but he did appear in a Disney mini-series on television that was also set during the American revolution.  Can you name the movie, the TV mini-series and the actors and actress that I referenced?  

I can answer this question because I actually saw the movie "Johnny Tremain" in the movie theater. Hal Stalmaster played Johnny Tremain.

Leslie Nielsen and Stalmaster were both in the "Swamp Fox,"which was a mini series about the Revolutionary War.

TV actor John Smith's wife Luana Patten was also in "Johnny Tremain".

This is really a blast from the past, I haven't thought about this film since I saw it. LOL

But we used to sing the "Swamp Fox" song in school. That was the first time I remember seeing Leslie Nielsen.

Oh, I almost forgot Richard Beymer in "Johnny Tremain". He got a big break in "West Side Story", but he didn't really follow it up. The most I've seen of him has been in "Murder She Wrote".

Very thorough answer, Princess.  Yes, the title role of Johnny Tremain was played by a teenage actor named Hal Stalmaster.  Luana Patten, as a young child in the 1940's, had been featured in "Song Of The South" and "So Dear To My Heart".  After "West Side Story", where his singing was dubbed, Richard Beymer was probably best remembered for "Twin Peaks".  I really wish that TCM would show "Johnny Tremain" on Independence Day.  They show "The Scarlet Coat' and "1776" every year.  Hear are our three young stars in this clip:

And in case any of you have forgotten the Swamp Fox song, here it is:

Nice job, Princess.  You're up next.

09e30339fe7d359c2bc846c1898b98b7.gif 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Very thorough answer, Princess.  Yes, the title role of Johnny Tremain was played by a teenage actor named Hal Stalmaster.  Luana Patten, as a young child in the 1940's, had been featured in "Song Of The South" and "So Dear To My Heart".  After "West Side Story", where his singing was dubbed, Richard Beymer was probably best remembered for "Twin Peaks".  I really wish that TCM would show "Johnny Tremain" on Independence Day.  They show "The Scarlet Coat' and "1776" every year.  Hear are our three young stars in this clip:

And in case any of you have forgotten the Swamp Fox song, here it is:

Nice job, Princess.  You're up next.

09e30339fe7d359c2bc846c1898b98b7.gif 

"I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy

Yankee Doodle Do or Die

A real live nephew of my Uncle Sam, born on the 4th of July

I've got a Yankee Doodle sweetheart

She's my Yankee Doodle Joy

Yankee Doodle Went to London just to ride the ponies

I am that Yankee Doodle Boy! "

My memory of the 4th of July is the 4th of July at midnight on the Million Dollar Movie with Jimmy Cagney's "Yankee Doodle Dandy".. and then the 4th of July in the afternoon one more time with Jimmy Cagney's "Yankee Doodle Dandy".

That's how you learned all routines. Because there were no DVDs, VHS, Revival theaters or YouTube,  just the Million Dollar Movie!

Miles, Thanks for the Swamp Fox!

This performer accomplished more by the time he was 21, than many people do all their lives.

As a preteen he had a number one hit record.

In his late teens he was a regular on a popular classic TV sitcom.

He also found the time to appear in "A" Hollywood movies.

And his first wife became a TV icon herself.

When you identify this performer, don't forget to name his number one record, classic sitcom and one of his movies.

And Brownie points if you can identify his first wife.

Could it be Jimmy Boyd?  As a youngster, he had a hit record with "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus".  He had another hit with "Tell Me A Story" with Frankie Laine. 

In the late 1950's, he had a recurring role as Noreen Corcoran's boyfriend on "Bachelor Father". 

He appeared in "Inherit The Wind" with Spencer Tracy and "High Time" with Bing Crosby.

Oh, and for brownie points, his first wife was actress Yvonne Craig, known to many as "Batgirl" on the TV series "Batman".

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

Could it be Jimmy Boyd?  As a youngster, he had a hit record with "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus".  He had another hit with "Tell Me A Story" with Frankie Laine. 

In the late 1950's, he had a recurring role as Noreen Corcoran's boyfriend on "Bachelor Father". 

He appeared in "Inherit The Wind" with Spencer Tracy and "High Time" with Bing Crosby.

Oh, and for brownie points, his first wife was actress Yvonne Craig, known to many as "Batgirl" on the TV series "Batman".

Miles, I've said it before and I'll say it again-- You have the Midas Touch!

An actor on "Perry Mason" last night reminded me of Jimmy Boyd, oddly enough, and I couldn't resist sharing him with you today. And what a career this young man had. A Columbia record contract as a youth and everything else going for him.

I remember him very well as soft-spoken on "Bachelor Father", oh, a real sweet guy.

And now I turn this thread over to another really sweet and bloody-well smart guy.

Miles,  you're up.....

Thanks, Princess.  Your question reminded me that there was another well known Christmas song in the 1950's that was recorded by a child actor.  It contained the phrase "Somebody snitched on me" that was repeated several times.  This song was covered by several singers, but the original vocalist was a child who appeared several times on "The Jack Benny Show" on TV.  Can anyone name the song, as well as the youngster who first recorded it?  

14 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Princess.  Your question reminded me that there was another well known Christmas song in the 1950's that was recorded by a child actor.  It contained the phrase "Somebody snitched on me" that was repeated several times.  This song was covered by several singers, but the original vocalist was a child who appeared several times on "The Jack Benny Show" on TV.  Can anyone name the song, as well as the youngster who first recorded it?  

Nuttin' for Christmas - Barry Gordon- I know him from the movie A Thousand Clowns with Jason Robards

You are correct, Lavender.  Barry Gordon has had a very long career, including serving as President  of the Screen Actors Guild at one time.  Here is his hit record:

He was about six years old when he made this recording.

Good job, Lavender.  It's your turn now.

Thanks Miles :)

The actor who played one of the supporting characters on a popular classic comedy tv show died suddenly. He was quickly replaced by an actor who played supporting roles on a few shows before and after this one. The first actor's character's disappearance is never really addressed except to say he was away and the actor who was his replacement plays a different character. The tv show and the 2 actors ???

41 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks Miles :)

The actor who played one of the supporting characters on a popular classic comedy tv show died suddenly. He was quickly replaced by an actor who played supporting roles on a few shows before and after this one. The first actor's character's disappearance is never really addressed except to say he was away and the actor who was his replacement plays a different character. The tv show and the 2 actors ???

I never watched the show, but the character was so popular that everyone heard about this tragedy. Joseph Kearns who played the irascible Mr. Wilson on " Dennis the Menace" died during the show's run.

He was replaced by Gale Gordon, who I think they said was his brother. But there was no further explanation. Conveniently Gale Gordon moved in next door to Dennis in the same house where Kearns had played the the boy's neighbor.

I had watched Gale years before as Mr Conklin in "Our Miss Brooks". And then later after " Dennis ",  he played Mr. Mooney in the "Lucy" shows.

3 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I never watched the show, but the character was so popular that everyone heard about this tragedy. Joseph Kearns who played the irascible Mr. Wilson on " Dennis the Menace" died during the show's run.

He was replaced by Gale Gordon, who I think they said was his brother. But there was no further explanation. Conveniently Gale Gordon moved in next door to Dennis in the same house where Kearns had played the the boy's neighbor.

I had watched Gale years before as Mr Conklin in "Our Miss Brooks". And then later after " Dennis ",  he played Mr. Mooney in the "Lucy" shows.

Complete and perfect answer Princess and quick too! LOL- Good work, you're up :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Complete and perfect answer Princess and quick too! LOL- Good work, you're up :)

Thanks--and Lav, you do a great job of coming up with these questions!

I shall return.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 8:22 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Thanks--and Lav, you do a great job of coming up with these questions!

I shall return.

Thanks Princess for the compliment. This was on page 2, you need to "return"

This movie actress married one of Hollywood's biggest Heroes and spent about as much time on television as she did in front of the Hollywood cameras. She was particularly seen in anthology classic TV shows and beloved series like Wagon Train, My Three Sons and Bat Masterson.

When you identify this actress, don't forget to also name her very famous first husband and any of her movies that you remember.