Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Retro Trivia

4,028 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

This movie actress married one of Hollywood's biggest Heroes and spent about as much time on television as she did in front of the Hollywood cameras. She was particularly seen in anthology classic TV shows and beloved series like Wagon Train, My Three Sons and Bat Masterson.

When you identify this actress, don't forget to also name her very famous first husband and any of her movies that you remember.

The first name that comes to mind is Anne Baxter because I've seen her in an episode of My Three Sons, Wagon Train, Alfred Hitchcock. She was on tv all the time I remember watching her in the tv show Hotel. Her first husband was John Hodiak. She won a Best Supporting Oscar for The  Razors Edge, nominated for All about Eve, co-starred in Hitchcock's I Confess to name a few. Another one of my favorites was her co-starring role in the film The Luck of the Irish starring Tyrone Power???????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

The first name that comes to mind is Anne Baxter because I've seen her in an episode of My Three Sons, Wagon Train, Alfred Hitchcock. She was on tv all the time I remember watching her in the tv show Hotel. Her first husband was John Hodiak. She won a Best Supporting Oscar for The  Razors Edge, nominated for All about Eve, co-starred in Hitchcock's I Confess to name a few. Another one of my favorites was her co-starring role in the film The Luck of the Irish starring Tyrone Power???????

No, Anne Baxter does not fit all the criteria.

The key clue to this question is in the first sentence:

The actress was married to one of Hollywood's biggest heroes. And the last sentence that states that he was her first husband.

Hint#1: The actress' second husband was the brother of one of the biggest stars from the early 60s in classic TV.

I think it's Wanda Hendrix.  She appeared in all of those TV shows that were mentioned.  She started in movies in the 1940's, appearing in "Nora Prentiss" with Ann Sheridan, "Prince Of Foxes" with Tyrone Power, and "Captain Carey, U.S.A." with Alan Ladd, the movie that introduced the song "Mona Lisa".

Her first husband was actor and war hero Audie Murphy.  Her second husband, James Stack, was the brother of actor Robert Stack.

Wanda Hendrix Picture 

I always thought she looked a little like Gene Tierney.

• Like 2

Well, Miles, another example of that famous Midas Touch!

It seems that the beautiful Wanda Hendrix has slipped through the cracks and we rarely hear about her. She certainly was in some Top Productions in the late 40s and early 50s co-starring with top leading men like Tyrone Power and Alan Ladd..

She did marry one leading man, the Great World War II hero and actor Audie Murphy.

And her second husband James Stack, the brother of Robert "Eliot Ness" Stack,  proved that good-looking men certainly run in that family!

Miles,  now Retro is in your capable hands; take it away.....

12 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

I

Wanda Hendrix Picture 

I always thought she looked a little like Gene Tierney.

And Miles, thanks for the photo.

Thanks Princess.

We'll call this next one "What was the name of?"

What was the name of:

1.  Buffy's doll on "Family Affair"?

2.  The family dog on "My Three Sons"?

3.  Lumpy Rutherford's real first name on "Leave It to Beaver"?

4.  The town where Dale Evans ran a cafe?

5.  Porky's dog on the early years of "Lassie"?

6.  Howdy Doody's sister?

7.  The other adult mousketeer besides Jimmie Dodd?

8.  The young Chinese fellow who ran errands for Paladin?

9.  The New York nightclub where Ricky Ricardo worked?

10.  Little Joe's Pinto horse on "Bonanza"?

#10 is a tough one, but the others shouldn't be too hard.

7 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks Princess.

We'll call this next one "What was the name of?"

What was the name of:

1.  Buffy's doll on "Family Affair"?

2.  The family dog on "My Three Sons"?

3.  Lumpy Rutherford's real first name on "Leave It to Beaver"?

4.  The town where Dale Evans ran a cafe?

5.  Porky's dog on the early years of "Lassie"?

6.  Howdy Doody's sister?

7.  The other adult mousketeer besides Jimmie Dodd?

8.  The young Chinese fellow who ran errands for Paladin?

9.  The New York nightclub where Ricky Ricardo worked?

10.  Little Joe's Pinto horse on "Bonanza"?

#10 is a tough one, but the others shouldn't be too hard.

Howdy Doody has a sister? LOL

2) Tramp

3) Clarence

7) Roy

9) The Tropicana

1. Mrs Beasley was Buffy's doll

4. Dale ran the Eureka cafe in Mineral City ?

5. Pokey?

6. Heidi Doody, Howdy's adopted sister (LOL- of course her name would have to be Heidi (Hi) to go with Hoody LOL)

8. Hey Boy ( later on I think Paladin called him Kim Chang) ?

10. Cochise?

Princess and Lavender, you two really know your stuff.  Well done by both of you.  I thought that Little Joe's horse might be a real tough one, but Lavender got it  In fact, Lavender got six and Princess got the other four, so Lavender gets to post the next question. 

Here's Buffy with Mrs. Beasley. 

36438a4d510f742bc2118cdfb911e2ea.jpg 

And Little Joe with Cochise.

0703-landon-jpg.jpg  

Thanks Miles :)

The creator and writer of a long running 1960's hit tv show also wrote the interesting and different theme song for the show. The title of the tv show and the talented writer ??

35 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

The creator and writer of a long running 1960's hit tv show also wrote the interesting and different theme song for the show. The title of the tv show and the talented writer ??

Nat Hiken created, wrote, and directed, "Car 54". And he also wrote the lyrics to the theme song that we all sang as kids.

But it was not what I would call a long-running show --maybe a couple of seasons.

Just now, Princess of Tap said:

Nat Hiken created, wrote, and directed, "Car 54". And he also wrote the lyrics to the theme song that we all sang as kids.

But it was not what I would call a long-running show --maybe a couple of seasons.

Sorry Princess, that's not the show I'm asking about, as I wrote the show was long running, as great as Car 54 and Nat Hiken were, that show was not long running.

clue- the show was not a comedy

15 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Sorry Princess, that's not the show I'm asking about, as I wrote the show was long running, as great as Car 54 and Nat Hiken were, that show was not long running.

clue- the show was not a comedy

Well, I don't know if this is right or not. But this is the only other person I know who wrote music and was the creator, writer and composer for the show.

Jackie Gleason wrote "Melancholy Serenade" for his variety shows that went on all during the sixties. I watched these shows because I wanted to see the June Taylor Dancers. Beautiful song and that's my last guess. LOL

4 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Well, I don't know if this is right or not. But this is the only other person I know who wrote music and was the creator, writer and composer for the show.

Jackie Gleason wrote "Melancholy Serenade" for his variety shows that went on all during the sixties. I watched these shows because I wanted to see the June Taylor Dancers. Beautiful song and that's my last guess. LOL

No, not Jackie and his theme song is incredibly beautiful, it's always been a favorite of mine.

This was not a variety show, this show was a crime type of show. You probably watched it, so don't give up yet! LOL

Leslie Charteris, the author of "The Saint" books, wrote the melody for the theme music for the 60's TV series that starred Roger Moore in the title role.  The series was filmed in England and probably led to Moore being cast as the replacement for Sean Connery in the James Bond movies.  Here is a short clip:

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

Leslie Charteris, the author of "The Saint" books, wrote the melody for the theme music for the 60's TV series that starred Roger Moore in the title role.  The series was filmed in England and probably led to Moore being cast as the replacement for Sean Connery in the James Bond movies.  Here is a short clip:

Correctamondo Miles. The show was The Saint starring Roger Moore. Based on Leslie Charteris novels and yes he wrote the theme song to The Saint as well as writing the series. Loved this show, my sister and I always watched it. Here's one bit of trivia, Mia Farrow told Roger Moore that she and Frank when they were married, always watched the show and loved it. Here's another bit of trivia, Leslie Charteris when writing referred to Simon Templar as ST. that's how he came up with "The Saint". I can still humm the theme song, it certainly was different and interesting!!! Good job Miles and HAPPY BIRTHDAY! ;)

Thanks, Lavender.

An actress and singer appeared with her first husband in a couple of Hopalong Cassidy movies, where she got to sing a little.  Later she played the female lead in a very successful Broadway musical.  In the fifties, she played the mom on a very popular TV family drama.  Can you name her?  

Here are some hints:

Her first husband was a regular in the "Hopalong Cassidy" movies when they first met.  He can be seen in the serial that TCM is currently showing on Saturday mornings.

Her Broadway musical was not a comedy.

The TV series that she was in was sponsored by a soup company.

On 7/22/2019 at 12:54 PM, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Lavender.

An actress and singer appeared with her first husband in a couple of Hopalong Cassidy movies, where she got to sing a little.  Later she played the female lead in a very successful Broadway musical.  In the fifties, she played the mom on a very popular TV family drama.  Can you name her?  

Sounds like Jan Clayton. Russell Hayden was her first husband, she was the first Julie in Carousel on Broadway, and of course she was Jeff's mom ( Tommy Rettig's) mom on Lassie

You are correct, Lavender.  Jan Clayton was billed as Jane Clayton when she appeared in some Hopalong Cassidy movies in the late 1930's.  She married Russell Hayden, who played Hoppy's pal, Lucky.  He can currently be seen in the serial "Lost City Of The Jungle" on TCM on Saturdays.  In 1945, Jan starred as Julie Jordan in "Carousel" on Broadway.  She was in the movie "The Snake Pit" with Olivia DeHavilland, playing the "singing inmate".  Most of us knew her as the mom on "Lassie".  When Tommy Rettig got a little too old for the part of Jeff, the producers decided to bring in a new cast and Tommy and Jan Clayton were replaced by Jon Provost and Cloris Leachman.  After one season, Cloris was replaced by June Lockhart.  Of course, "Lassie" was sponsored by Campbell Soup for the entire run of the show. 

Related image 

While she was still making the "Lassie" series, Jan Clayton found time to appear on a TV special with John Raitt where they recreated their famous duet from "Carousel".  Here it is:

Nice work, Lavender.  You get to go next.

next

This actress was never the lead, but played important supporting roles in 3 tv shows. 1 in the 50's, 1 in the 60's (although it only lasted 1 season) and 1 in the 1970's. All 3 shows were comedies. In between she guest appeared on various tv shows. She was a 2 time Emmy Award winner. Who was she, and the 3 tv shows she played supporting roles  ????

Audrey Meadows is my only guess.

The question is ambiguous and it probably could apply to others. "The Honeymooners" is the only TV show I ever watched her in. But she was also in the Doris Day movie " A Touch of Mink""-- but it's just a guess.