Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Retro Trivia

3,965 posts in this topic

I wrote she won 2 Emmys, Audrey only won one, and she was not in a series as a regular in the '70's, to quote what you write so often you didn't answer the criteria given.

She appeared in a movie years later based on one of the tv shows she was in.

Ann B. Davis won two Emmy awards playing Schultzy on "The Bob Cummings Show" (AKA "Love That Bob") in the late fifties.  In the early sixties, she appeared in the Doris Day movie "Lover Come Back".  In the mid-sixties, she was in a very forgettable series called "The John Forsythe Show".  Of course, from 1969 to 1974 she was Alice the housekeeper on "The Brady Bunch".  After many TV versions of the Brady kids grown up, she appeared in the nineties movie "The Brady Bunch Movie" playing a trucker named Schultzy.

Image result for ann b. davis 

Did you know that she had a twin sister?

Related image  

This a promotional shot from "The Bob Cummings Show".  Her sister, Harriet Norton, was not an actress, but their mother, Marguerite Davis, was a stage actress for more than thirty years.

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

Ann B. Davis won two Emmy awards playing Schultzy on "The Bob Cummings Show" (AKA "Love That Bob") in the late fifties.  In the early sixties, she appeared in the Doris Day movie "Lover Come Back".  In the mid-sixties, she was in a very forgettable series called "The John Forsythe Show".  Of course, from 1969 to 1974 she was Alice the housekeeper on "The Brady Bunch".  After many TV versions of the Brady kids grown up, she appeared in the nineties movie "The Brady Bunch Movie" playing a trucker named Schultzy.

Image result for ann b. davis 

Did you know that she had a twin sister?

Related image  

This a promotional shot from "The Bob Cummings Show".  Her sister, Harriet Norton, was not an actress, but their mother, Marguerite Davis, was a stage actress for more than thirty years.

Thank You Miles, guess the question wasn't "ambiguous" after all LOL. Yes, I did know that she had a twin sister and I did know about her mother, you saved me the trouble of posting that info. Ann B Davis really ran with the Alice Nelson character, that was almost a career in itself. She played the Alice Nelson character 6 different times. ( assorted Brady tv movies, limited tv shows and a variety show). She won those 2 Emmys for the Bob Cummings Show. It's interesting about that John Forsythe Show, Elsa Lanchester was also a co-star, so the cast was good. The show changed it's premise in mid-season and became a different show, very weird.

Good work and good thinking Miles, it's your thread :)

In the early sixties, they used to show boxing matches on the ABC network on Friday nights at ten o'clock.  A ten round fight would normally take no more than forty-five minutes, so to fill up the hour, ABC had a fifteen minute bowling show where professional bowlers would compete to make tough shots suggested by viewers.

The host was a former actor and singer in forties movies who made a bit of a comeback in a fifties rock and roll movie. What was the name of that show and who was the host?  

13 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

In the early sixties, they used to show boxing matches on the ABC network on Friday nights at ten o'clock.  A ten round fight would normally take no more than forty-five minutes, so to fill up the hour, ABC had a fifteen minute bowling show where professional bowlers would compete to make tough shots suggested by viewers.

The host was a former actor and singer in forties movies who made a bit of a comeback in a fifties rock and roll movie. What was the name of that show and who was the host?  

Make That Spare  it was hosted by Johnny Johnston. The rock n roll movie was Rock Around the Clock. His recording of Laura sold over a million copies. I remember watching bowling shows in the '60's but can't remember if it was this one. Miles, did you watch this show?

You are correct, Lavender.  I watched "Make That Spare" occasionally since it was on late on Fridays and that was not a school night.  I had no idea at the time that Johnny Johnston had been a singer and actor in movies.  I came up with this question after answering one in the "Briefly Lyrical" thread that involved Johnny Johnston.  Here he is in a short clip from "Make That Spare":

Here he is in a clip from "Rock Around The Clock".  For the youngsters out there, this is how kids danced in 1956.

The female dancer, actress Lisa Gaye, was the sister of actress Debra Paget.

Nice work, Lavender.  The thread is yours.

Thanks Miles - good question :)

next

I'll give the commercial and the list of celebrities that plugged the product. You guys match the product to the celebrity 1950's - 1970's

1. Coppertone Sun Tan Lotion

2. Ultra Brite Toothpaste

3. d Con

4. Top Brass

5. Viceroy Cigarettes

6. Sugar Frosted Flakes

7. Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup

8. Barbie Dolls

9. Kodak Camera

10. Camay Soap

11. Cover Girl Eye Make-Up

12. Ford Cars

13. Shell Oil

14. US Dept of Labor

15. Ritz Crackers

16. Dodge Dart

17. Marine Land of The Pacific

1. Richard Basehart

2. Cybil Shepard

3. The Cast of Batman

4. Kodak

5. Rod Serling

6. The Lennon Sisters

7. George Reeves

8. Barbara Feldon

9. Barbara Eden and Michael Callen

10.Yvonne Craig

11. Cheryl Ladd

12. Maureen McCormick

13. Andy Griffith

14. Munsters Cast

15. Jacklyn Smith

16. Muhammad Ali

17. June Lockhart and John Provost

I'll try a couple.

#1 Coppertone was endorsed by many celebrities.  The original add of the little girl losing her trunks used Jody Foster as the model.  This list includes Barbara Eden and Michael Callan as Coppertone endorsers.

bx1ce-1466196095-embed-coppertone_3.jpg 

#4 Top Brass was endorsed by Barbara Feldon "Get Top Brass And Sic 'em".

#6 Sugar Frosted Flakes - since Kellogg's sponsored "The Adventures Of Superman", I'll guess that George Reeves did commercials for them.

#7 Campbell's Soup sponsored "Lassie", so I think that June Lockhart and Jon Provost did commercials for them, as well.

#9 Kodak - You have Kodak in both lists.  I think you meant to put Ozzie and Harriet Nelson in the second list.  Kodak sponsored their show and they, along with David and Ricky, did Kodak commercials.

#11 Cover Girl - That had to be Cybil Shepherd.

2 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

I'll try a couple.

#1 Coppertone was endorsed by many celebrities.  The original add of the little girl losing her trunks used Jody Foster as the model.  This list includes Barbara Eden and Michael Callan as Coppertone endorsers.

bx1ce-1466196095-embed-coppertone_3.jpg 

#4 Top Brass was endorsed by Barbara Feldon "Get Top Brass And Sic 'em".

#6 Sugar Frosted Flakes - since Kellogg's sponsored "The Adventures Of Superman", I'll guess that George Reeves did commercials for them.

#7 Campbell's Soup sponsored "Lassie", so I think that June Lockhart and Jon Provost did commercials for them, as well.

#9 Kodak - You have Kodak in both lists.  I think you meant to put Ozzie and Harriet Nelson in the second list.  Kodak sponsored their show and they, along with David and Ricky, did Kodak commercials.

#11 Cover Girl - That had to be Cybil Shepherd.

All correct Miles, thanks for starting it. that leaves 2,3,5,8,10,12,13,14,15,16, 17

On 8/6/2019 at 3:45 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks Miles - good question :)

next

I'll give the commercial and the list of celebrities that plugged the product. You guys match the product to the celebrity 1950's - 1970's.

2. Ultra Brite Toothpaste

3. d Con

5. Viceroy Cigarettes

8. Barbie Dolls

10. Camay Soap

12. Ford Cars

13. Shell Oil

14. US Dept of Labor

15. Ritz Crackers

16. Dodge Dart

17. Marine Land of The Pacific

This is the celebrity list

1. Richard Basehart

3. The Cast of Batman

5. Rod Serling

6. The Lennon Sisters

10.Yvonne Craig

11. Cheryl Ladd

12. Maureen McCormick

13. Andy Griffith

14. Munsters Cast

15. Jacklyn Smith

16. Muhammad Ali

I've removed the ones Miles answered correctly. there are 11 left. Match the celebrity to the ad

Here are a few more:

#2 - Ultra Brite, Cheryl Ladd.  If she was going to replace Farrah Fawcett on "Charlie's Angels", she might as well replace her on the toothpaste adds.

Image result for cheryl ladd ultra brite add 

#8 Barbie Dolls.  The only young girl on the list is Maureen McCormick, so this was easy.

Image result for maureen mccormick barbie doll add 

#10 Camay Soap - Who's left on the list that would be a likely choice?  I think Jaclyn Smith would be the one.

#15 Ritz Crackers - It's Andy Griffith

Image result for andy griffith ritz crackers ad 

#16 Dodge Dart - I remembered that Dodge was at one time a sponsor of "The Lawrence Welk Show", so a commercial featuring the Lennon sisters was a natural occurrence.

#17 Marineland Of The Pacific - The Munsters

Image result for the munsters marineland of the pacific add 

I left a few unsolved, #3, 5, 12, 13, and 14.  Anyone else want to try?

Excellent and Thank You Miles :) These are still open, match the Celebrity to the ad they did for the product. 

3. d Con

5. Viceroy Cigarettes

12. Ford Cars 

13. Shell Oil

14.Dept of Labor

Richard Basehart

Cast of Batman

Rod Serling

Yvonne Craig

Muhammad Ali

Princess, Shutoo, Star- c'mon, don't let Miles do all the work on this one. there are only a few left, I'd like to finish this one up so we can get to the next one and keep this thread alive. Thanks

It's been a few days, so I'll try to finish this question.

#3  d-Con

Image result for muhammad ali d con add 

#5 Viceroy Cigarettes - Yvonne Crag before she was Batgirl.  That's right!

#12  Ford Cars - That's Rod Serling in this commercial.

#13  Shell Oil - That's Richard Basehart.  He was Shell's "Answer Man".

#14. U.S. Department Of Labor - The Cast Of "Batman".  That's the only choice left.  Yvonne Craig is now Batgirl in the Public Service Announcement.  Here she campaigns for equal pay for women. 

I believe that wraps up the question.  I'm a bit disappointed that no one else jumped in to answer any.  The research was certainly not difficult.  Let's hope that we get more participation in the upcoming questions.

6 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

It's been a few days, so I'll try to finish this question.

#3  d-Con

Image result for muhammad ali d con add 

#5 Viceroy Cigarettes - Yvonne Crag before she was Batgirl.  That's right!

#12  Ford Cars - That's Rod Serling in this commercial.

#13  Shell Oil - That's Richard Basehart.  He was Shell's "Answer Man".

#14. U.S. Department Of Labor - The Cast Of "Batman".  That's the only choice left.  Yvonne Craig is now Batgirl in the Public Service Announcement.  Here she campaigns for equal pay for women. 

I believe that wraps up the question.  I'm a bit disappointed that no one else jumped in to answer any.  The research was certainly not difficult.  Let's hope that we get more participation in the upcoming questions.

Thank You and great work Miles. It was a fun question too bad more didn't participate. I appreciate you answering this one. It's your thread :) ;)

A successful Broadway play was adapted as a movie in the forties.  In the fifties, that same play was adapted as a television series.  It was a sort of comedy/drama about a family and it was very popular.  So popular, in fact, that when it was announced that it was to be canceled, enough viewers protested so that the show was brought back for one more season.  The young actor who played the family's son in that series would much later play the father of a family in another popular comedy/drama series.  Can you name that actor and the two TV series that he was featured in? 

On 8/17/2019 at 12:52 PM, MilesArcher said:

A successful Broadway play was adapted as a movie in the forties.  In the fifties, that same play was adapted as a television series.  It was a sort of comedy/drama about a family and it was very popular.  So popular, in fact, that when it was announced that it was to be canceled, enough viewers protested so that the show was brought back for one more season.  The young actor who played the family's son in that series would much later play the father of a family in another popular comedy/drama series.  Can you name that actor and the two TV series that he was featured in? 

The actor is Dick Van Patten.

He played the son in the TV series Mama (adapted from the play I Remember Mama by John Van Druten), and he later played the father on the TV series Eight Is Enough.

He also played Dr. Wentworth in High Anxiety, one of my favorite movies. 

Apparently all except the last season of Mama aired live rather than being filmed.  

You are correct, Bagel.  Only a few kinescopes remain from the original "Mama" series.  Here is one featuring Dick Van Patten.

Bagel, you are up next.

I'll get it started.

June Bronson Cleaver - Leave It To Beaver

Ellie Southwoth Ewing - Dallas

Gladys Gruber Kravitz - Bewitched

Lovey Wentworth Howell - Gilligan's Island

Ida Nessel Morganstern - Rhoda 

Lucy McGillicuddy Ricardo - I Love Lucy

Morticia Frump Addams - The Addams Family

Edith Baines Bunker - All In the Family

Shirley Renfrew Partridge - The Partridge Family