Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Retro Trivia

4,087 posts in this topic

This question may sound familiar.  Two crime fighting shows started in the same year and on the same TV network, although one of them switched networks for it's third season.  Each show involved a highly skilled elite crime fighting team of men that was hand-picked by their leader.  The leader in each show was played by a movie star from the golden age.  One had been a major star as a leading man and the other had been both a leading man and second lead for some time.  One of the crime-fighting teams worked for a city, while the other one worked for the federal government.

Can you name the two TV shows and their stars?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2019 at 12:21 AM, MilesArcher said:

This question may sound familiar.  Two crime fighting shows started in the same year and on the same TV network, although one of them switched networks for it's third season.  Each show involved a highly skilled elite crime fighting team of men that was hand-picked by their leader.  The leader in each show was played by a movie star from the golden age.  One had been a major star as a leading man and the other had been both a leading man and second lead for some time.  One of the crime-fighting teams worked for a city, while the other one worked for the federal government.

Can you name the two TV shows and their stars?  

Miles, the question doesn't sound familiar at all. Because of the clue about the stars, I'll say The Detectives, it starred Robert Taylor, the other The Untouchables, starring Robert Stack . Both shows were on the same years, both ABC shows and The Detectives moved to NBC after the first 2 years. The Detectives worked crime in the city and the other giveaway clue, The Untouchables worked for the Federal Govt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only thought that it might sound familiar because of your previous question, Lav.  Remember this?

"Two acclaimed golden age actors in films were regular cast members on two different popular classic shows, both playing very similar roles on the tv shows. The 2 actors, the 2 tv shows and at least 1 film each was famous for ??????"

It's the same basic question and "The Detectives" and "The Untouchables" were the first shows that I thought of at the time.

Nice work, Lavender.  We seem to be tuned to the same wavelength.  You're up next.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2019 at 2:43 PM, MilesArcher said:

I only thought that it might sound familiar because of your previous question, Lav.  Remember this?

"Two acclaimed golden age actors in films were regular cast members on two different popular classic shows, both playing very similar roles on the tv shows. The 2 actors, the 2 tv shows and at least 1 film each was famous for ??????"

It's the same basic question and "The Detectives" and "The Untouchables" were the first shows that I thought of at the time.

Nice work, Lavender.  We seem to be tuned to the same wavelength.  You're up next.

 

 

 

Thanks Miles, we always it seems "to be turned to the same wavelength" :)

next

This actor appeared in films before appearing in some successful tv shows. One film is considered a classic .From the 1950's to the early 1970's he starred in a few popular tv series. Actor, the 3 tv series he was known for and the famous classic film ?????

edited by me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll go with Robert Mitchum.

Movies were "Cape Fear" (1962 and 1991)

TV series were "The Winds of War", "North & South" and "War and Remembrance" as Pug Henry in the first and last

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DJBeacon said:

I'll go with Robert Mitchum.

Movies were "Cape Fear" (1962 and 1991)

TV series were "The Winds of War", "North & South" and "War and Remembrance" as Pug Henry in the first and last

Sorry not Mitchum. these were not tv movies or mini-series and the time frame is incorrect. His tv shows were in the 1950's-1970's and I don't think Mitchum appeared in a Broadway show

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It must be Gene Barry.  He starred on TV in "Bat Masterson", "Burke's Law", and "The Name Of The Game".  The reboot series was "Burke's Law" in the nineties.  He starred in the original movie version of "The War Of The Worlds" in the 1950's, and he made a cameo in the remake with Tom Cruise many years later  He was a Golden Globe winner for "Burke's Law" and a Tony nominee for "La Cage Aux Folles".

71596Wmng6L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

It must be Gene Barry.  He starred on TV in "Bat Masterson", "Burke's Law", and "The Name Of The Game".  The reboot series was "Burke's Law" in the nineties.  He starred in the original movie version of "The War Of The Worlds" in the 1950's, and he made a cameo in the remake with Tom Cruise many years later  He was a Golden Globe winner for "Burke's Law" and a Tony nominee for "La Cage Aux Folles".

71596Wmng6L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Correct Miles, the handsome actor was Gene Barry. Bat Masterson, Burke's Law and The Name of The Game were 3 of his hit series. War of the Worlds was the film. Good work, your thread :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Let's test your memory of old songs.  Here is a list of "One Hit Wonders" from the 50's and 60's.  Can you name the artist or group that had the original hit record of each song?  Remember, some of these were done later by other artists.  We're looking for the originals.

1. The Lion Sleeps Tonight

2. Sh-Boom

3. Tequila

4. To Know Him Is To Love Him

5.  Stay

6.  Blue Suede Shoes

7.  Rama Lama Ding Dong

8.  Love Is Strange

9.   Earth Angel

10. Poison Ivy

11. Mule Skinner Blues

12. Alley Oop

13. Tell Laura I Love Her

14. Sea Of Love

15. See You In September

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5. Stay = Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs

12. Alley Oop = Hollywood Argyles

14. Sea of Love = Philip Baptiste (Phil Phillips)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2. Sh- Boom- The chords and then The Crew Cuts

3. Tequila - The Champs

8. Love Is Strange - Mickey and Sylvia

9. Earth Angel- The Penquins

10. Poison Ivy - The Coasters

15. See You In September - The Tempos but The Happenings is the one I remember

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, Princess.  Frankie Laine did not do "Mule Skinner Blues".  I think you have the song confused with "Mule Train", which he did sing.  My research shows that "Mule Skinner Blues" was actually written about 1930 by legendary country singer Jimmie Rodgers (not to be confused with the 50's singer of the same name who sang "Honeycomb").  It was recorded by many country artists over the years, but the hit record that I am looking for was done in 1960 by a duo who named themselves after the make of guitar that they played.

I have to apologize for including #10 "Poison Ivy".    I had forgotten about the 1959 recording by The Coasters.  They were certainly not a one hit wonder group.  The version that I recalled was done in 1963 by a group called The Paramounts.

In addition to #11, we still haven't solved #1, #7, and #13. 

Any guesses?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right again, Lavender.  Here is "Rama Lama Ding Dong".

 

The only one left is "Mule Skinner Blues".  Anyone care to guess?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very good, Lavender.  For those of you who are not familiar with" Mule Skinner Blues", you're in for a real treat if you listen to this clip by The Fendermen.  (They played Fender guitars.)

 

Lavender got the most, so she gets to go next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Miles :)

This actor started his career as a youngster. He starred in a tv series in the 1950's and 10 years later, starred in another tv series. The actor and the 2 series ??

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us