Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Retro Trivia

3,883 posts in this topic

Could it be "The Monster Mash" by Bobby "Boris" Pickett? He imitates Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi. Karloff did it on an episode of "Shindig" but most of the clip has been lost. Here is what I've found.

That's a very poor clip, I must admit. Here is the original song.

Thank You Miles. Bobby "Boris" Pickett and the song and dance Monster Mash - is there a baby boomer who doesn't remember that one? LOL- Finance the line in the song "and my monster mash is the hit of the land" - of course he's doing the song as a homage to Boris Karloff and later in the song there's a line "Whatever happened to my Transyvania twist"? in Bela's voice.

Yes a cou[le of years later Karloff was so flattered by the song he performed it on the tv show Shindig The dance was a variation of the "Mashed Potato" we all did, it added arm movements like the Frankenstein monster LOL.

Thanks Miles for posting the clip. It's your thread :)

I don't know why finance was so baffled. The answer came to me right away. Perhaps he was doing the Wa-Wa-Tusi or the Hand Jive in those days. If he was in Philly, he was probably hanging out on South Streeet. Remember "Where Do All The Hippies Meet? South Streeet, South Street".

Now here is a question that I saw recently in a syndicated newspaper column. Perhaps someone else here saw it too. The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles often use the cry "Cowabunga" when they are about to spring into action. Those of you of a certain age should know where that word was first used, and it was used often, in fifties television. Do you?

I know the "Monster Mash" well. I've even mentioned it on these boards. I said that giving himself the nickname "Boris" sort of retricted Pickett's future musical options.

cowabunga

(exclamation): Originating as a greeting by Chief Thunderthud (the only Indian ever to have a moustache) to the Peanut Gallery on the 50's television program "The Howdy Doody Show", the term was later adopted by surfers in the 60's.

Thank you, Google, and of course Miles!

In which long-running series did an Oriental character appear with a name that would be considered politically incorrect today?

That sounds like it could be "Heyboy" on "Have Gun Will Travel". The reruns are on the Encore Western Channel. I think that there was also a "Heygirl" later in the series. They ran errands for Paladin at the San Francisco hotel where he lived between travels.

Thanks. There was a circus-themed TV show in the early fifties called "Big Top". One of the men who played a clown on that show would go on to fame in late night TV as well as game shows. Do you know who that man was?

Thanks. FINANCE you started this thread and yet I haven't seen you post one in quite awhile, the rest of us seem to be doing all the work here to keep YOUR thread going. You can post the next one.

This is a lousy questiom. Nobody would know this without looking it up. The answer is "Bamboo Harvester".

Try this one....... What '50s rock song mentions the following locales...

New Orleans, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Texas, St. Louis, Boston....?

"Sweet Little Sixteen" by Chuck Berry

It was actually rewritten later by Brian Wilson who changed the lyrics

"Surfin' USA"

I'm really dating myself....

:0)

DaveZ

Is it mine?

If so, I'll open it up....

"Go Johnny, Go!"

I feel very old....

:0)

DaveZ

The main actor and actress of this famous TV show did not get along in real life, as opposed to in the series.

What series and who are they?