Sign in to follow this  
slappy3500

Another random trivia question.

12 posts in this topic

That they are spoken? I remember that it was done this way since the film deals with a future society in which books/reading are forbidden?

Slappy, I'm borrowing your thread for a, well, random trivia question. Hope you don't mind.

Who said this and in what film?

"That cat knows something."

For extra credit, what was the cat supposed to know?

Ayresorchids, it's possible that someone may have said that in your movie, but it's not the one I'm thinking of.

BTW, let me make something clear that narrows it down a bit, i.e., the question denotes a real, four-legged, cat and not a "slangy" cat, as in Daddy-O. Otherwise, it could be in any number of movies. Also, the movie was made in the classic era and has been shown on TCM.

Robert Montgomery said it to Carole Lombard in Mr and Mrs Smith in the Italian restaurant scene. I think the cat knew the restaurant's soup wasn't fit for consumption, or something like that.

Yes, Johnnyweekes, that's it.

I always thought that line funny. I think the cat was resting right there on the table (!) ... or was it on a nearby mantle ...

I think it was on the table. When I heard that line the first time I watched the film I completely cracked up. Montgomery's deadpan delivery really helps it come across. What a super film (and not just because I'm a big Lombard fan)!

ayresorchids,

You're so right. David Denby, writing in the New Yorker said of this later Mr and Mrs Smith (not a remake, BTW, for those who don't know), among other things, "When you see it, you understand why the rest of the world thinks Americans are crazy."