joefilmone

"Six by Sondheim" on HBO

9 posts in this topic

Agreed. An amazing assemblage of interview clips from all stages of his career. The filmmakers did their homework.

Does anyone know if this would ever possibly be released on DVD?  I don't have HBO.  So I never got to see it.

This is a must watch for anyone who is a fan of musicals.

Why?  I only ask, because I hate Sondheim's shows (except the original production of FOLLIES), so is it a must watch if you are a Sondheim fan, or musicals in general?

Why?  I only ask, because I hate Sondheim's shows (except the original production of FOLLIES), so is it a must watch if you are a Sondheim fan, or musicals in general?

You've probably answered your own question if you hate Sondheim that much, but it's a terrific example of documentary filmmaking. It's organized around six key songs which represent his evolution, but If you don't believe there was any evolution then, yes, stay away.

SilentVamp,

HBO is selling the dvd of "Six by Sondheim" on their website. $19.98. Pretty ok price for a wonderful film tribute. My partner is a huge fan of Sondheim and he got me to be a fan of this genius as well. :-)

You've probably answered your own question if you hate Sondheim that much, but it's a terrific example of documentary filmmaking. It's organized around six key songs which represent his evolution, but If you don't believe there was any evolution then, yes, stay away.

Thanks.  Yes, I'll stay away.  But I'm glad someone did it, and wish they were more of these type documentaries on songwriters.

SilentVamp,

HBO is selling the dvd of "Six by Sondheim" on their website. $19.98. Pretty ok price for a wonderful film tribute. My partner is a huge fan of Sondheim and he got me to be a fan of this genius as well. :-)

I will definitely have to look into that now.  Thanks for letting me know!  :)

YES!  This is a must watch.  Especially if you're a Sondheim fan.  Steven Sondheim's love for what he does is infectious and his eagerness to teach and give back is heartwarming. I thought that this piece was beautifully put together.