tommyphils31

What film or scene never fails to choke you up and why?

85 posts in this topic

The film West Side Story (which is my all time favorite film, hands down, btw.) is a film that raises lots of emotions in me, from exuberant to very intense, but the part that never fails to sort of choke me up and bring tears to my eyes is the scene after the rumble, and the death of Bernardo, when  Anita warns Maria that Chino has a gun and is hunting Tony down, and then, afterwards, after Maria starts threatening to do to Chino what Tony did to Bernardo (stabbing him, the way Bernardo had stabbed Riff), and Maria protests  "I love Tony." and then Anita says  "I know.  I loved Bernardo."  '

It is during the scene when Maria wipes tears from Anita's face as she weeps over the death of Bernardo, and Anita and Maria both hold hands and sing  "When love comes so strong, there is no right or wrong.  Your love is your life."  that I begin to sort of choke up, and tears come to my eyes.

I'm not really one to cry during films, but the following have made me cry buckets:

The final scene in A Streetcar Named Desire as Blanche is being taken away.

The funeral scene in Imitation of Life. (the Lana Turner version)

The scene in The Notebook when Allie finally recognizes Noah for a few minutes before she goes back to her ranting dementia. The nurses restrain her and Noah just cries as the scene is too painful for him to watch. So sad.

Other films will make my eyes watery but not enough to actually shed tears.

• Like 1

Mahalia Jackson singing Trouble of the World at Annie Johnson' funeral in Imitation of Life.

The moment Mahalia Jackson sings "Soon it will be dawn", I am crying buckets. This scene tears me up so much every time because Annie had struggled all of her life as a single black woman. Further, Annie's daughter Sarah Jane had so cruelly rejected her 'Mama' because of Annie's ethnicity. Mahalia Jackson is a favourite of mine and to have her sing as herself in the movie was a bonus and to relay that the faithful Annie was 'on her way home' was gut-wrenching.

Lastly, still with Imitation of Life, Sarah Jane running through the mourning crowd and draping herself on her Mama's casket and asking her for forgiveness. When Annie was dying, she visited Sarah Jane one last time and tried to reconcile with her daughter. All Sarah Jane saw in her mother was the hardship and inequality that Sarah Jane wanted to erase from her life and she did. It was only when Annie died, did Sarah Jane come to the realization that she loved and needed her mother.

Imitation of life is a melodrama and some have said 'soapy' which it maybe, nonetheless, I still admire and choke up at the end of this movie...everytime I see it.

• Like 1

The final minutes of The Clock.  First there's that shabby little civil ceremony that's legal but nothing else.  Then stumbling onto that church still open from a "real" wedding and having their own private one as the candles are blown out.  Finally the parting as he goes off to war.  The "experts" would tell you there's little chance that two near-strangers could make such a marriage last should he make it home but the reverence they show for what they've done makes you believe they can.  I'm betting some of us have parents or grandparents who did in similar circumstances. 

The scene in The Notebook when Allie finally recognizes Noah for a few minutes before she goes back to her ranting dementia. The nurses restrain her and Noah just cries as the scene is too painful for him to watch. So sad.

I agree. Truly poignant and painfully sad. Both Gena Rowlands and James Garner are wonderful in this scene. Seeing that look of helplessness on Garner's face as he cries in reaction to the emotional trauma his wife is suffering is haunting.

Literally, the scene that always makes me emotional, is the end scene in Disney's Homeward Bound... It's just so touching that when animals love their owners, they will try to find them no matter what. Also, the scene in "The Champ" with Jon Voight and Ricky Schroder, where the "Champ" has his last fight. Both of these NEVER fail to make me cry.

A Christmas Carol starring Alistair Sim where after he realizes he's alive and all three ghosts came to him in one night he is so full of joy and happiness that he says "I must stand on my head. I must stand on my head." Mrs. Dilber enters his bedchamber and seeing this starts screaming and runs down the staircase and Scrooge catches up with her on the staircase and calms her down and when he says to her "Dear Mrs. Dilber" I just burst into tears which continue throughout the rest of the movie. This version of A Christmas Carol is my absolute favorite and I adore Alistair Sim and Mervyn Johns, Hermione Baddely, Kathleen Harrison and the entire cast. This film gets to me each and every time I watch it. And I watch it throughout the year not just during the Christmas holiday season.

Shane - When Brandon De Wilde calls out "Come back, Shane. Shane, come back." I break down crying. My parents were in the process of getting separated and this scene just brought everything home to me. I feel the same every time I watch the movie. This is one of the few movies we watched together as a family in the movie theater.....my mother, my father, my sister and my brother. I adore this movie.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2013 at 10:16 PM, tommyphils31 said:

I could probably list several right away, but maybe one at a time may be best for now. It seems like the list gets larger as the years move forward and I turn into a sentimental old cuss, but here's a start:

Film: "Yankee Doodle Dandy"

Scene: Walter Huston's death scene

Why?: My own father's gone, and I miss him more as I age. Plus, Jimmy Cagney cries so convincingly.

There is only one movie which chokes me up, "Who Will Love My Children" with Ann-Margret. I sure wish TCM would play this film sometime, even if it is a tv movie.