Sign in to follow this  
viaNostalgia

Hotels near the festival events? Help!

4 posts in this topic

Hello, I am new to this forum and I just bought my ticket for the 2014 TCM Classic Film Festival - this will be my first time attending and I am very excited!

I am looking for a hotel or motel to stay in and I was hoping that some of you who are familiar with the area could recommend a few places that are safe and walking distance from where the actual festival will take place. I would appreciate it so much if you could help!

Thanks!

-Lilly

viaNostalgia,

Welcome! You are going to love the Film Festival! It is so much fun! I've gone the last four years and live in LA so I'll try to be of help!

Depending on your budget, here are some suggestions:

Loew's, next to Chinese Theater and easy to get to not just the Chinese smaller theaters but Grauman's, the Egyptian theater and the Roosevelt Hotel. It is a tad expensive and be sure to let them know you are attending the festival.

http://www.loewshotels.com/Hollywood-Hotel

The Best Western- this is a few blocks up Highland Avenue from the Festival Zone. I have a friend from San Diego who has attended the festivals and he always stays here. It is easy walking distance and other Festival goers stay there, too, so there will probably be some one you can walk with. http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/US/CA/Hollywood-hotels/BEST-WESTERN-Hollywood-Plaza-Inn/Hotel-Overview.do?propertyCode=05491

The Holiday Inn, next to the Best Western on Highland Ave. Another favorite of thrifty Festival goers.

http://www.hollywoodholidayinnexpress.com/

The Magic Castle Hotel. Next door to the famous Magic Castle and on Franklin Avenue not far from the Festival zone. Easy walking and other Festival goers stay there.

http://magiccastlehotel.com/

There is also the W Hotel at Hollywood and Vine. A bit of a walk or you can get a daily pass and ride the subway up one station to Hollywood and Highland and be in the Festival zone in just a few minutes.

http://www.whollywoodhotel.com/

That's all I can think of off the top of my head but that should get you started!

Here is some more overall Festival info:

The Festival begins Thursday afternoon, April 10th. On Wednesday, in the lobby of the Roosevelt Hotel, you can watch Robert O and Ben M film interviews with attending celebrities and fans of the channel.

Club TCM is open from noon to midnight on Friday-Sunday. It typically opens in the early afternoon on Thursday just prior to the *Meet the Staff* panel discussion.

There will bleachers set up so that you can watch you those attending (celebrities and fans) the Gala Night Opening film. If you are attending the film, you can walk the Red Carpet.

Film screenings typically begin Thursday evening at the smaller Chinese theaters and the Egyptian and go until about midnight.

Film screenings begin Friday morning usually between 8:00 and 9:00 am and go until midnight. The last few years, there have been late night Midnight screenings on Friday and Saturday nights.

The Closing Night Party usually begins on Sunday night about 9:00 pm and goes to midnight. It is held in Club TCM, the lobby of the Roosevelt and poolside.

If you are attending the poolside screening at the Roosevelt on Thursday evening, be sure to get your lounge chair early.

Screenings run at the same time as panels so it will not always be easy to make choices. It is part of the fun of the Festival!

Sunday mornings and afternoons, they typically have encore screenings for a handful of films that were very popular during the Festival. Those titles are usually announced Saturday night.

Standing in line with other passholders is part of the charm of the Festival. Don't be afraid to strike up a conversation with the people around you. People come from all around the country and all around the world for the Festival and they love movies and TCM as much as we all do!

Stay hydrated, drink plenty of water, and try to eat one good meal a day that is more than just popcorn, junior mints and soda.

Bring an extra pair of shoes and extra socks.

Two years ago when the Festival was held on the same weekend, it rained. We are in the midst of a major drought in California right now and haven't had much rain. But, on the off chance that Mother Nature is a prankster, bring an umbrella.

Also a sweater, sweatshirt or light jacket. The theaters are often cooler than the outside air temperature and the evenings can be brisk.

Hope that helps and let us know if you have any other questions or need any other info!

Looking forward to seeing you in April!

It's really something to be able to stay close, I've found that the Comfort Inn 7051 Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA is very close, safe and reasonable. It's about a 3-5 minute walk to the festival and it has all the amenities, shops, food, etc. near by. Another perk is the free parking..I've come back to my room late at night from the festival and never had a problem. I know it's not as fancy as some of the others but it still puts you right in the heart of the city...

Lilly, I'm staying at the Days Inn on (7023 Sunset Blvd.). It's about 3 1/2 blocks from The Roosevelt. Prices are fairly reasonable (although about $40 or $50 a night higher than they'd normally be). I've stayed there a couple of times, nothing fancy, but okay. The others I was looking at in the immediate area are Comfort Inn (7051 Sunset Boulevard) and Quality Inn (1520 North La Brea Avenue). Both of these are about 4 blocks away from the Roosevelt and seem to have similar customer ratings. You might try to book fairly soon. When I was looking about 3 weeks ago. Most of the places were saying they only had a 2 or 3 rooms left.

For me, it came down to, I've stayed at the Days Inn, so I know what to expect. Also I'm driving up from San Diego, and I know the Days Inn has underground parking. Couldn't tell from the others' website. Best of luck.